Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heating Blanket recommendations

Default Heating Blanket recommendations

Hello!

So I've dug quite a bit through this forum looking for info on bending sides, and I've done quite a bit of research on it (I've also had my own bending disasters that mirror a few that I've read about today on old posts!)

I'm looking to purchase a heat blanket to bend sides, and I'm curious what experience people have had with the Chinese ones sold on Amazon. They seem to be cheaper, though they also appear to not come with plugs. I'm assuming that's so they can be sold in various countries and you can install your correct plug depending on where you live.

I've also found some on actual American luthier websites that are quite a bit more expensive but look to be better quality. I'm not looking to turn this into a full time job here, I'm building Ukuleles as a side hobby in my shop so I really don't want to break the bank here. I know many people on this forum go for the bending iron, but again, really don't want to drop $200+ here.

Any opinions are appreciated! I've still got a lot to learn and this forum is a gold mine. I've been repairing string instruments for years, but I'm new to building instruments!

I've used the blankets from Michaels Enterprises for 12 years. Custom built to any size and wattage that you like. Very well built and price was very good at the time I purchased them. Don't know how they would compare to the Chinese offerings now.

When I switched from my Fox style bender, I bought mine from Bob at Pegasus Guitars (he is Pegasus Guitars on this site)....Great Guy, Great Wood & Great Heating Blankets...I love mine!

Here is the link: http://www.pegasusguitars.com/bending-blankets.html

Highly Recommended!

Thanks for the recommendations!

I have some Keenvo blankets (from ebay) and they seem to work well. I hand bend all my stuff now so i never use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Hannam Ukuleles View Post
    I have some Keenvo blankets (from ebay) and they seem to work well. I hand bend all my stuff now so i never use them.
    Just got a new iron earlier this past summer, started hand bending bindings, and now sides. Blanket and bender is taking a rest. Strange happenings. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Kekani View Post
    Just got a new iron earlier this past summer, started hand bending bindings, and now sides. Blanket and bender is taking a rest.
    Me too. No, not that kind of #MeToo. I'm enjoying hand bending more than fussing around with the bender.

I have a blanket from McMaster-Carr that has worked fine for about seven years. FWIW, I returned a Keenovo. Its integrated heat control reliably got the measured temperature to within a hundred and twenty degrees or so of the setting.

I've never used heating blankets..I use a 500Watt halogen sun flood light.
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuck View Post
    I've never used heating blankets..I use a 500Watt halogen sun flood light.
    Really? How does that work? I've read a few things about people using heat lamps or powerful lights to do bending but I don't get how it works. Obviously you can get the temps high enough...do you use a jig or a pipe with the light?

In Australia, we used (for guitar sides) 6 flood lights- it took about 40 mins to bend but worked well- i never broke a side. We used to just touch the waist and if it was to hot to touch, then we started slowing bending. We always hand bend bindings, but like Aaron, now i do it all by hand.

Thread Information