Insanely Curly Australian Satin Box Tenor - Picture Set

BR Ukuleles

Reaction score
I had never heard of Satin Box but I was offered 2 sets of this timber from my Blackwood Supplier as he knew I'd do something that could showcase it. To say I was blown away when I opened the package is an understatement. Sadly there wasn't any more available from that tree.

The bindings and bridge are Curly Australian Blackwood. Fret board, head stock veneers and bridge veneer are Ringed Gidgee. Soundboard in Cedar. Tuners are Rubners supplied by the client as are the strings. These are Saverez and Thomastick-Infeld flat wound.

Satin Box Tenor0.jpgSatin Box Tenor2.jpgSatin Box Tenor5.jpgSatin Box Tenor8.jpgSatin Box Tenor12.jpg

Since you like fine curly wood, here is some hard maple (Acer saccharum) from a tree my neighbor took down. I had to chain-saw carefully around the nails & barbed wire (it was a pasture-edge and road tree) but I got quite a lot of this stuff which has an even fine curl throughout. Some pieces, such as this (the first set I have glued up) also have some spalty heartwood (wiped with a little alcohol, not even sanded.)

Attachments

• IMG_20181010_164252.jpg
    IMG_20181010_164252.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 95
Its the first time I've used them. Supplied by the client. They have a really nice feel and tension. I dont know if it's the strings, the timber, or a combination of both as this is a first. But it's easily in the top 5 best sounding instruments I've built.

Its the first time I've used them. Supplied by the client. They have a really nice feel and tension. I dont know if it's the strings, the timber, or a combination of both as this is a first. But it's easily in the top 5 best sounding instruments I've built.

I gave it it’s first two hour work out at our World Singing Day gig at the Farmers Market and it opened up amazingly quickly. As to the strings, the TI’s are perfect for that instrument in my gigging setup. I found the Saveraz 541R and 542R trebles very different from what I’m used to. They are much lower tension and thinner. I’ll be trying some thick carbon’s soon to compare. Overall experience has been highly positive. Just what I expect and receive from Allen every time he builds me an instrument.

Last edited:
And yet you are still going to change the strings? I never understand this. Happens with some of my clients too. I think that banjo players suffer from this 'fiddle with the instrument' syndrome too... Just leave it as it is.

Last edited:
And yet you are still going to change the strings? I never understand this. Happens with some of my clients too. I think that banjo players suffer from this 'fiddle with the instrument' syndrome to... Just leave it as it is for trying out loud.

I think someone changing strings because they don't like the tension about as legimate a reason as there is. Next to.......they sound like crap.

And yet you are still going to change the strings? I never understand this. Happens with some of my clients too. I think that banjo players suffer from this 'fiddle with the instrument' syndrome too... Just leave it as it is.

You have a valid point Peter but I am just a ‘tinkerer” by nature. Always considering the what ifs. In point of fact though my comments were based on my first impression. Now, after a week of playing it, my fingers and those new strings are becoming friends. When it’s time to change strings though I will be trying different trebles as per recommendations from friends whose opinions I value. I alway purchase multiples so if I want to go back I have them available. Also when it comes to strings I’ve learned that one size(brand) does not fit all.

I’d be very interested to know if you always use the same brand of strings and how you came to that decision. Also, if you ever mix different string brands on one instrument.

Strings are an important factor I agree. I use Worth Browns because they are consistent and are not your standard fluorocarbon type. The tension is right and they balance well with wound strings. I am not a great subscriber to matching strings to the instrument. I just simply am not that clever...

Strings are an important factor I agree. I use Worth Browns because they are consistent and are not your standard fluorocarbon type. The tension is right and they balance well with wound strings. I am not a great subscriber to matching strings to the instrument. I just simply am not that clever...

Consistency of product and consistency of process in set ups are obviously highly desirable. Thanks for your feedback.

Top Bottom