Thread: Insanely Curly Australian Satin Box Tenor - Picture Set

Default Insanely Curly Australian Satin Box Tenor - Picture Set

I had never heard of Satin Box but I was offered 2 sets of this timber from my Blackwood Supplier as he knew I'd do something that could showcase it. To say I was blown away when I opened the package is an understatement. Sadly there wasn't any more available from that tree.

The bindings and bridge are Curly Australian Blackwood. Fret board, head stock veneers and bridge veneer are Ringed Gidgee. Soundboard in Cedar. Tuners are Rubners supplied by the client as are the strings. These are Saverez and Thomastick-Infeld flat wound.

Satin Box Tenor0.jpgSatin Box Tenor2.jpgSatin Box Tenor5.jpgSatin Box Tenor8.jpgSatin Box Tenor12.jpg

Since you like fine curly wood, here is some hard maple (Acer saccharum) from a tree my neighbor took down. I had to chain-saw carefully around the nails & barbed wire (it was a pasture-edge and road tree) but I got quite a lot of this stuff which has an even fine curl throughout. Some pieces, such as this (the first set I have glued up) also have some spalty heartwood (wiped with a little alcohol, not even sanded.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beautiful Allen, as usual.

Interesting wood, looks almost like Alaskan Yellow Cedar, in its color tone anyway. Awesome “clean” figure.

How do the TI flats work with the cedar top?

Its the first time I've used them. Supplied by the client. They have a really nice feel and tension. I dont know if it's the strings, the timber, or a combination of both as this is a first. But it's easily in the top 5 best sounding instruments I've built.

Beautiful!
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!

Thread Information