Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jake's new ukulele

Default Jake's new ukulele

It's amazing OMG
    http://shimaukulele.com/
    Making music is a gift in itself, and when you can share it ....it is your gift to others

15" concert scale with a wide nut seems very cool, but I was hoping for at least a solid top. That sound sample was pretty short, there are a few longer ones on YT, but it sounds good to me. $299.00 for an all laminated uke may seem steep to some, but Kiwaya gets $275.00 or so for their laminate KS-1, with standard soprano scale. I don't know of any other long neck sopranos with 1.5" nut out there.

There were a couple of threads on this uke a while back:

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...ighlight=shima

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...ighlight=shima
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 10-11-2018 at 03:42 AM.
    John

Yea it seems like a pretty sweet instrument.

I was wondering if my school could buy a few or maybe we could get a grant.
    -Abe (ah-bay)
    Teacher/musician/podcaster
    ukuleleabe.com
    Abe’s Ukulele Podcast

Looks good. Judging by the note at the bottom, it seems as if he is closely involved with the company. I had thought that he assisted with the design and then let a uke company do all the logistics. I like the idea of the wide neck, but some people I know prefer narrow. A soprano/tenor seems odd. I wonder if they would have had better luck with a straight tenor. I'm tempted, but it doesn't offer me anything that I need or don't have.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!

I was thinking the same thing, then I read the copy closer. Tenor range means same number of frets. It's a long neck soprano.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    A soprano/tenor seems odd.
    Tiny Tenor spruce/mahogany
    Kiwaya KTC-2 mahogany concert
    Flight Travel soprano

Jake seems to be a very likable person. As for the ukulele, I wonder what it sounds like played in person (and by a mere mortal). To me, the key phrase regarding the sound sample is "a splash of reverb." Is this another Kiwaya? Or an Islander? (I like Islanders, so it's not a knock on them. But a $300 laminate...?)
    KoAloha tenor (Baggs 5.0) • Godin MultiUke • KoAloha Opio concert (Baggs 5.0) • Ohana solid mahogany tenor • Kala spruce top "travel" baritone • Islander laminate tenor (Pono passive) • Kala Longneck Soprano laminate • 12 Makala Dolphins/Sharks • 1 Mahalo soprano • Partridge in a Pear Tree

So basically here, Jake has commercialized his success by lending his name to a Chinese laminate ukulele that he and his brother have started pedaling. He doesn't play them himself, he still plays Kamakas, but these have his initials on the headstock, which gives the buyer a connection to Jake himself. Interesting. He'll sell out. Everyone wants a $300 laminate soprano that Jake might have touched.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    Everyone wants a $300 laminate soprano that Jake might have touched.
    If he were to sign each uke, that would certainly boost sales.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    If he were to sign each uke, that would certainly boost sales.
    He was signing them as part of a Pledge Music campaign for his latest CD. I think that offer has expired now that the CD is out, though.
    I thought about it, but then I found out that it's a 1 1/2 inch neck, which is a deal breaker for me.
    I did get the CD, though, which is one size fits all. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    So basically here, Jake has commercialized his success by lending his name to a Chinese laminate ukulele that he and his brother have started pedaling. He doesn't play them himself, he still plays Kamakas, but these have his initials on the headstock, which gives the buyer a connection to Jake himself. Interesting. He'll sell out. Everyone wants a $300 laminate soprano that Jake might have touched.
    I mean... that's what pretty much anyone who has a signature guitar or bass does, only they make WAY less money off it because it goes through an established instrument company. Flea is Flea on any bass, but people shell out $1000 for the Mexican made Fender that's distressed like his 62 Jazz to feel that connection. It's not for everybody, but I don't see the harm in it, especially if it's doing more to support the artist. Not everyone can shell out $5k for his Blue Kamaka. I saw Jake a few weeks ago and the 1000 seat theater he played had plenty of empty seats. It's cool to be a solo ukulele act, but you still gotta eat.

Anyway, I played one of these Shimas last summer, and it was cool. I found the wider spacing to be really playable. Not better or worse than Kala or Ohana, but totally reasonable to pay $150 for the uke and $150 because you think the artist is rad.
    4strings4lyfe!
    Kamaka HF-3
    Martin S1, T1K, & OXK
    Kala baritone, WaterMan, & U-Bass
    50's West German upright bass
    Fodera Monarch bass

Thread Information