Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Dilemma

Default A Dilemma

I bought a 10" drum to make a banjo uke. It's just like the one on my Firefly concert, but larger and walnut color. I'm not sure about what to use for the neck. I don't feel like carving one out of mahogany again, so I ordered two rough-cut necks.

One is a tenor neck in standard configuration with a rosewood fretboard. The other one is a concert with a slotted headstock and a maple fretboard.

Dimensions from the nut to the end -
    Firefly concert: 10.5"
    tenor: 9.5"
    concert: 8.5"

Both fretboards are too long for a banjo uke, as they would overhang the drum. The maple fretboard has a nice triple point design at the end which I like, but that would have to be cut off. Although I just saw a Goodtime banjo uke with the fretboard overhanging the drum.

So, I'm looking for suggestions for what to do about the neck. I prefer a longer neck, but I like the slotted headstock. The only way to get that would be to make my own neck. I know I can make a bare bones neck, but I prefer the standard uke-type neck. In the past, I've carved them out of a block of mahogany.

I'm leaning toward using the tenor neck with the maple fretboard overhanging the drum by a little over an inch. These necks come from China, so delivery takes weeks.

I await your suggestions.

Good Time Banjouke.jpg
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!

can you put a block between the body and neck? If done well it will look ok. I have seen folks do this on cigar box ukes to get a little more neck length
    Michael Smith
    Goat Rock Ukulele
    www.goatrockukulele.com

Fretboards don't usually overhang the body on banjo uke's. If you do, just ensure it does not come into contact with the head.
    Kind Regards
    Dennis

dpophotography@yahoo.co.nz
    Southern Cross Instruments
    New Zealand

You can use the concert fretboard on the tenor neck. Check to see where the bridge position would be and proceed from there.

Quote Originally Posted by DPO View Post
    Fretboards don't usually overhang the body on banjo uke's. If you do, just ensure it does not come into contact with the head.
    Yes, that had occurred to me. I like the shape of the fretboard, but I wouldn't want it pressing down on the head. It would be overhanging by barely an inch.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Smith View Post
    can you put a block between the body and neck? If done well it will look ok. I have seen folks do this on cigar box ukes to get a little more neck length
    I hadn't thought of that, but I did consider cutting a couple of inches out of a neck and inserting it into the middle of the concert neck. That might be too much of a technical job, though. If I could get these delivered quickly, I could experiment, but waiting three weeks is a drag.

Yes! Here is how someone else did it.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Home-made-banjo-uke/

I did some measuring, and about 1" added to the neck would put the bridge in a perfect location. I have some left over mahogany that should be perfect.

Are fret markers in place? If not just cut off the first fret and use the shortened fretboard.
    Building blog - http://www.argapa.blogspot.com
    Music and atrocities - http://www.goodcopbadcop.se

Quote Originally Posted by Sven View Post
    Are fret markers in place? If not just cut off the first fret and use the shortened fretboard.
    Ah, so I can cut off the top fret? I wondered about that. The fret markers are already on the board, but there's always a work-around.

Thread Information