NCD (New Case Day)

kkimura

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Just took delivery of a new Oahu tenor size case from HMS! It is great and exceeds all my expectations. Also got a Oasis humidifier to go along with it for our dry New England winters.

The case was actually delivered yesterday but I wasn't home to sign for it. Wish more online companies would require signatures so the driver can't just leave the box at your door.

Transit time was two days as advertised. Time from order date to pickup by the carrier was 6 days. I'm guessing it got placed in the ukulele setup up queue by mistake. :eek:

View attachment 112675

View attachment 112676

I was a little disappointed that the case only has two latches on it. Other than that, I thought it was pretty good quality.

Looks identical to the Ko'olau/Pono case.

I have the same case and after a bit I began to appreciate that it only has two latches... one less step every time I open it up and close it down. It doesn't seem to affect much other than that.

I was a little disappointed that the case only has two latches on it. Other than that, I thought it was pretty good quality.

Those are nice cases, but I, too, prefer at least three latches. I have a couple with five!

If you have several ukes, consider the D'Addario Humidistat. It's basically an automatic humidifier - place it and forget it. It releases moisture or absorbs moisture, depending on the humidity in the case.

My Kamaka tenor case has 4 latches. Maybe over kill. I'll have to see if I can live with only two latches on the Oahu.

The D'Addario Humidistat sounds interesting. If one of my Oasis humidifiers dies, I'll give it a try.

Yes, those Oahu cases are really nice. I especially like the rings for a carrying strap. Mine was a soprano case. To me, it seemed like the closest thing to an old vintage Martin case.

Also one of the least expensive tenor hard cases online when I ordered it. I forgot to mention the shoulder strap. Something I might grow to like.

What's nice about the shoulder strap isn't so much that you can strap it to your shoulder. What's nice is that the shoulder strap is that you can use the shoulder strap ring to hang the case on the wall. Often times you have more wall space than floor space for ukulele storage.

What's nice about the shoulder strap isn't so much that you can strap it to your shoulder. What's nice is that the shoulder strap is that you can use the shoulder strap ring to hang the case on the wall. Often times you have more wall space than floor space for ukulele storage.

Wow, great idea. As I look at my modest stack of ukulele cases I'm thinking of ways to hang them all on the wall now.

The case was actually delivered yesterday but I wasn't home to sign for it. Wish more online companies would require signatures so the driver can't just leave the box at your door.

View attachment 112675

View attachment 112676[/QUOTE]
They are nice quality cases. Lucky it was the case, not a uke dropped off at the door!

View attachment 112675

View attachment 112676
They are nice quality cases. Lucky it was the case, not a uke dropped off at the door![/QUOTE]

Sorry, I misspoke. The carrier didn't drop the case off while I was gone. They left a note saying they needed a signature and would try delivering it on the following day. So, kudos to HMS for requiring the carrier to get a signature and sorry for not being clear on that.

If you have several ukes, consider the D'Addario Humidistat. It's basically an automatic humidifier - place it and forget it. It releases moisture or absorbs moisture, depending on the humidity in the case.

After a quick search, all I could find online are for guitars. Is there one for ukulele or should I just put it by the headstock?

Both my Oahu cases (baritone and tenor) have three latches. I guess they're keepers, as are the instruments that came with them. I wonder when they reduced them to only two?

bratsche

Both my Oahu cases (baritone and tenor) have three latches. I guess they're keepers, as are the instruments that came with them. I wonder when they reduced them to only two?

bratsche

Ah, maybe that's why the price was so low?

I have the newer model and I think they are fantastic. I have had the older ones with the red stiching and they were good. The improvement made to this case is much more significant then how many latches it has.

They changed the padding on top so it only contacts the perimeter of the instrument. This is the same as a $250 custom Ameritage case. Other cases push down on the bridge, which is attached to the top which is the thinnest, weakest but most critical part of the instrument.

20181012_183947.jpg

My older three-latch Oahu cases don't press down on the instruments' bridges - the arch tops are more than high enough to clear them (there's no evidence of "bridge imprint" in the padding, unlike with a flat topped case).

bratsche

The one I just received is a tenor case with only two latches but still a very good case.

Interesting. I have two concert cases with three latches. Only had them about a month and a half. But they aren't black. Have a black soprano case with two latches. I don't know if I follow the other stuff about where the case presses down. All of them seem fine with regard to that.

Interesting. I have two concert cases with three latches. Only had them about a month and a half. But they aren't black. Have a black soprano case with two latches. I don't know if I follow the other stuff about where the case presses down. All of them seem fine with regard to that.

Check out the underside of your cases lids. You can tell where they contact your ukuleles by the impressions in the padding. My Kamaka case (4 latches) shows a light impression at the bridge and one at the neck/body area. My Eastman case (2 latches) has impressions in the same places as the Kamaka case. My Martin S1 case is a Guardian with 2 latches and has no impressions under the lid (no contact between the lid and the uke).

Top Bottom