Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to transpose chord sequences to other key signatures

Quote Originally Posted by Jarmo_S View Post
    Yes exactly! The feel to ukulele's neck is destroyed if using a capo for playing open chords.
    But we as uke players are lucky in that our instrument allows to play in all keys, so we don't need a capo unlike guitarists. Maybe slim string electric players can get by with barre chords, for other types of 6 strings chord players capo is a must. Only a few keys that are guitar friendly.

See 4 strings, 4 fingers, it just works much better yes.

EDIT:
    I want say I'm agnostic (not atheist), but I do like listening some Christian music, like probably your kind too
    We play contemporary Christian music. I just love playing my uke.....anywhere......anytime. Playing my uke as an expression of worship is a bonus.

We seem to play a lot of songs in the key of E. Evidently this is a guitar friendly chord, and an easy key for a variety of voices to sing in. Our band leader will send out the music, along with a You Tube video of the song. Playing along with the video helps me a lot with songs I haven't heard before. The down side is that often we are doing the song in a different key than the video. We aren't doing it in the standard key that the song is normally written or sung in. I'd love to have a program that would convert the actual music into different keys, not just show the transposed chords. Someone told me about a program that does just that, but I can't remember the name or find it. Sometimes, with a bit of searching on You Tube, I can find someone who's singing the song in our key, but not always. The searching is a pain in the butt & time consuming.
    My ukulele family.....
    Islander Acacia laminate soprano
    KoAloha concert - circa 2006
    Loprinzi cedar & rosewood concert
    Gary Gill concert scale tenor, Douglas Fir & Mahogany

It is possible to write the words and chords to a song as is shown with that Greensleaves song example you get with a 'Load a Sample Song' -button.
    Sometimes I miss the melody when a tune is not so familiar. That is not possible to have it seems.

Have two strips with the chromatic scale written out twice evenly spaced.(Probably more evenly than these would be best.) Put one strip on the table and place the second strip so that the key you are in lines up with the target key. If you have a song in F and you want it in C, line up the sheets like this.

C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B C
    ___________C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B C

All F chords transpose to C, A#(Bb) to F, C to G, D to A. . .
    If you know your enharmonics (A#=Bb, D#=Eb. . .) then you won't have any trouble.

A transposing wheel could be made as well by dividing two cardboard wheels , one large and one small into 12 pizza slices (with a pencil, not a pizza cutter) and putting the chromatic scale in each circle. Since you have a repeating circle, you don't have to repeat the scale.
    Last edited by Jim Yates; 10-15-2018 at 06:07 PM.

JY, thanks for this simple solution to transposing.

Makes me miss my slide rule. Maybe you should make and market this!

Shubb Transposing And Capo Placement Guide

just found this on Ebay.

there may be others. I know I've seen at least another one, more compact.

one could probably make his/her own... after figuring things out a bit

keep uke'in',
    Uncle Rod Higuchi
    ( rohiguchi@seattleschools.org )

MP3s: http://www.mediafire.com/?50db7nls4o6m6
    Ukulele Boot Camp, FREE Songbook, Holiday, Hawaiian & More: http://ukulelebootcamp.weebly.com
    Crazy G tutorial on YouTube ( uncle rod crazy g )
    pdf file for Crazy G:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0o6id06c06...20TAB.pdf?dl=0

I bought the "Chord Wheel" by Jim Fleser probably a decade ago and it has been the best $10 I ever spent. It is essentially a circle of fifths with all the degrees of each key spelled out. You rotate a dial to the tonic key of your choice and then it tells you everything you need to know: what notes/chords to play

Thread Information