How to transpose chord sequences to other key signatures

I invented my Tune Tin for this .... makes transposing keys a cinch and stows away in the case compartment. To use it, I set the top to the chord I find in the sheet music and the bottom to the chord I want... then I leave it indexed there. Each top chord then corresponds to the appropriate chord in the new key.

You are a genius and I am totally stealing that idea. :) Thanks!

Hey Swamp Yankee,

do you shoot air pistol or air rifle competitively, hunt, or just plink?

I shoot competition air pistol with a Feinwerkbau 102, although I
haven't been to the practice range in quite a while :(

I enjoy watching YT videos of both mens and womens 10m competition.

just saying, but keep uke'in', :)

It's more a vermin control thing for me... though I do plink sometimes as well.

Yep, that tin is clever—except you can't see all the main transpositions at once, you keep having to turn the whole doodad around. This is a case in which I'd use the fifths order instead, since then the main chords would all cluster on one side of the doodad, in the order 4 1 5 2 6 3 7 (or for minors, b6 b3 b7 4 1 5 2)—so you'd also have a means for quickly determining the relative degree for each chord, in either source or destination key. To make this even easier, you might cut out a cardboard circle with these degree numbers around the edge. You could store the circle in the tin, and when you needed the degrees, you could pop it on top of the tin, aligned appropriately. (Actually, if the tin has a slight bulge on the top, as appears to be the case in your picture, and as some similar tea sampler tins have, you might want to mark the tin with the bottom up. The flat bottom would help keep the cardboard circle in place, and the bulged top would provide a pivot for turning the tin around.)

To simplify presentation with chromatic order, I might represent the accidental intervals with just big dots, which would favor neither flats nor sharps; the appropriate names are clear from the neighboring letters (and the side on which they lie). This might also let you fit the chromatic order around twice, so from one side you could see almost an entire chromatic sequence, and thus avoid having to turn the tin.

For transpositions, I often use simple fretboard patterns, combined with a root-centric view of the chord shapes. Trying to figure with pitch names or referring to separate cribs is far less efficient than just envisioning patterns directly on the fretboard. The fourths/fifths pattern is one I rely heavily on in normal play in any key, and covers two of the most common transposition needs (incidentally, also the chord name/shape mappings between C and G tunings). Transpositions by a half or whole step up or down are relatively trivial to handle in my head (another four keys). Combining fourths/fifths with half-steps, I could cover three more transpositions (up/down by major thirds or tritones), though I'm more inclined to use the augmented shape (n:2110) and a handful of tritone offsets for these keys instead. That just leaves transpositions by minor thirds, which correspond to the dim7 shape (though less intuitively than the aug or tritone shapes).

I sometimes use a couple of other transposition approaches, but their description would probably glaze your eyes. Nevertheless, they work quite efficiently when you're accustomed to playing by relative patterns, as I do almost exclusively these days. I find lead sheets with fixed chord names a pain to deal with, since I nearly always have to transpose them, and by a different offset for each song.

You just made my head explode. I literally have no idea what you're talking about. Maybe in a few years...

How rude and unnecessary.
I didn't mean to offend you, and apologize that I did. I was referring to my own lack of skills, I didn't mean to imply anything bad about you or your post. Now that I reread it, I can see how you'd interpret it that way. Really, though, your knowledge did make me somewhat despair. I doubt I'll ever learn all that, or even part of it. Thanks for sharing what you know. I've learned a lot from some of your other posts.

Regarding the orginal online transposing site that I wanted to give information, maybe offer as a tip helper than a trick:
https://www.chordchanger.com/

I try feed this chord sequence that belong to a finnish song:

Am E7 Am

Dm E7 Am E7 Am A7 Dm E7

Am F H7 H7-5

E7 A7 Dm

G7 C E7 Am Dm

Am Dm Am H7 E7 Am

The 3rd line does NOT transpose. I made a txt -file, that I have tried paste also as plain text into the chords changer, but it does not.
So I bring this to the attention to the who ever has made that site.

To other that have participated in this thread, thank you for the interest in telling your ways to transpose :)
As you can see there are quite many. Mechanical slide rules or circles, then based on interval knowledge, then counting or using the fretboard knowledge (somewhat same category), then circle of fifths or basic chord degree knowledge and perhaps some others yet.

Last edited:
That 3rd line not transposing might be caused by the H7 and the half-diminished H7. I assume those are typos for B7 and Bø

That 3rd line not transposing might be caused by the H7 and the half-diminished H7. I assume those are typos for B7 and Bø

Yes, it is because of that. After I initially posted the OP post one, I struggled a lot making words, bar measures and chords to be in a text form with this example song. None worked for that line and I thought of a character sets etc, but I missed the obvious one. We finns use same as germans and few other people H instead B. So a typo it is not, exactly. I guess the program (script) could be enhanced to cover a wider national convention spectrum.

So thank you a lot to you. I had put aside that problem so to say, but you gave me the answer :)

B7-5 = B7b5 are the most common ways of writing that second chord. It has only flattened fifth, but the third is a major one.

Last edited:
Yes, it is because of that. After I initially posted the OP post one, I struggled a lot making words, bar measures and chords to be in a text form with this example song. None worked for that line and I thought of a character sets etc, but I missed the obvious one. We finns use same as germans and few other people H instead B. So a typo it is not, exactly. I guess the program (script) could be enhanced to cover a wider national convention spectrum.

So thank you a lot to you. I had put aside that problem so to say, but you gave me the answer :)

B7-5 = B7b5 are the most common ways of writing that second chord. It has only flattened fifth, but the third is a major one.

oooh, that H. I remember being told about that H when I was a child in school. It made it possible for Bach to create a musical acrostic for his name.

oooh, that H. I remember being told about that H when I was a child in school. It made it possible for Bach to create a musical acrostic for his name.

There is a bit of a division between classical music and popular music in my country and also I suspect in some others with this H vs B thing.
In Finland and popular music, songbooks etc. Bb is same as yours. So the B A C H works only in classical genre here. The "1032 in A string tab".

But as I'm 60, I do love the say Hm over Bm chord name or of a note in general ;)
Does not seem to change that love here with younger generations but seems staying and a keeper.

It is maybe because we don't have B in letters or C, so they have to be learned in school or music studies. H we have.

Last edited:
I try feed this chord sequence that belong to a finnish song:

Am E7 Am
Dm E7 Am E7 Am A7 Dm E7
Am F H7 H7-5
E7 A7 Dm
G7 C E7 Am Dm
Am Dm Am H7 E7 Am

The 3rd line does NOT transpose.
This web site should do the job: http://tabtransposer.com/index.php?i=uc
I fed your input, and transposed it to 1 halftone and I got this
Code:
Bm F7 Bm
Ebm F7 Bm F7 Bm B7 Ebm F7
Bm F# C7 C7-5
F7 B7 Ebm
Ab7 C# F7 Bm Ebm
Bm Ebm Bm C7 F7 Bm
(At the top of the page, I checked the box that says 'Use H and B instead of B and Bb')
And this
Code:
A H C
when transposed to 2 half steps shows this
Code:
H C# D

Yes, but it is not what I wanted. It is easier for me to replace H with B than have B used for Bb. I'm quite familiar with that common system.

My brain would go a mess if B was used for Bb like it is maybe still in classical music here. I am not sure about that current situation either in praxis ;)

Top Bottom