Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tie Bridge String Changing Question

I have been using the method shown/described in the Córdoba YouTube video for some time. I have found it to hold well with both wound and fluorocarbon strings. I always put down two or three strips of low adhesive masking tape behind the bridge when stringing, tying and clipping. A quick and easy way to avoid unwanted scratching or gouges in the finish.

Here's that Cordoba video. They show only 1 loop on wound strings, but I usually always use 2-3 loops on uke strings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Cw84_0KHTI

Beginner question: When you change out a set, do you save it and potentially reuse it if you do not like the newer strings? Or are they pretty much messed up to restring your uke with that set?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1 View Post
    You can save the strings and re-use them. They will have the same problems they had when you removed them. So if they were worn out, there is not much point saving them. If they were new and you changed them after a few days, maybe there is some benefit in keeping them.
    It is easier to order a new set as the spares, keep it in your uke case if you are travelling.
    Yes, I've reused strings, usually after trying different sets. One thing, if you have snipped the ends short at bridge and headstock, it can be a challenge to get them back on a uke. It's possible, but sometimes difficult. If I think I may be reusing, I'll leave the headstock ends a bit longer, not big goofy loops, just maybe 1/2 - 3/4" long

If they're worn out, just throw them, if you're changing them to try different strings, take them off carefully for re use later, (usually on a different uke).
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Update:
    I changed my strings today, using many of the suggestions in this thread. A nice neat job, no scratches on my uke's gloss finish and they sound great (I switched to a tenor set with a wound low G). I prefer these, as I'm a fingerpicker. Easy peasy!
    Thanks again!
    Susie
    Pono, Martin, Taylor
    Fingerpickin' since 9/11/73
    ●lllllll● + ●lllllll● =

I use stopper knots and 6mm glass beads
    IMG_20180706_103219.jpg
    Sopranos: aNueNue Khaya Mahogany 1, Bruko No. 6; Kiwaya KS-1; Kiwaya KTS-4; Kiwaya KTS-4K; Martin S-O
    Concerts:Cahaya CY-0112; Kiwaya KTC-1; Kiwaya KPC-1M; Kiwaya KCU-1, Takumi TC-1M, Takumi TC-3K, Musicguymic’s Kolohe
    Tenors: Cordoba 24T; Kiwaya KTT-2K
    Baritones: Cordoba 24B

Thread Information