No love for concert scale

Sopranos make me love concerts...
The concerts' extended range then makes me love tenors...
The larger size of tenors then makes me love sopranos...
Endless cycle...

I am at the stage of loving the sopranos..after going through the circle of love for ukulele sizes

Oh man how could I forget Moore Bettah........forgive Chuck:p

Will add it to my post, thanks Steve

He hasn't built many, has he? He's also not accepting anyone for a wait list, so it's unlikely that there will be a new one available, or a used one finding its way to the marketplace.

Any sound samples anywhere of a Moore Bettah concert? His tenors are the best sounding tenors I've heard, (via sound samples, anyway.) I've never been able to find a sound sample of his concerts.

Friends who are Hawai'i residents and pro players I've talked to tell me that concert and soprano are keiki (kid's) instruments, for the most part.

As someone who is smaller in size, though no longer a kid, I guess it's a good thing I don't live in HI.
I do prefer the sound of a tenor, but my hands insist that they want a concert instead.

There are some amazing sounding concerts out there, though, but less choice than for tenors.

Friends who are Hawai'i residents and pro players I've talked to tell me that concert and soprano are keiki (kid's) instruments, for the most part. Not always but there is a bit of an attitude like that for some.

In my experience this attitude is more prevalent among the younger, "shredder" generation. I mean come on - look at Ohta-San and his low G soprano! You just can't get much cooler than that. :cool:

There are some amazing sounding concerts out there, though, but less choice than for tenors.

I waver between soprano and concert as my favorite, and yes - in terms of amazing-sounding, I have a second-hand 2008 Kamaka HF-2 that is probably as amazing-sounding as you can get, but I've owned two other HF-2s that were not nearly as amazing. Good, yes, but not amazing.

I had one custom uke debacle that cured me of the custom urge for life. As someone who doesn't need bling and who finds straight-grained woods to sound as good as, or better than, fancier grained-woods, personally I don't see the need to go above and beyond what some of the quality non-custom brands are offering in terms of sound. Not all will be amazing, but some will be. I've played a lot of ukes over the years and have yet to encounter a custom of any size that gives me "sound envy."

Warning.....I'm going to hop on my soapbox for a few seconds.

Why are most of the really cool ukes that I see on the HMS website tenors? Today, they send out an email with all these really cool new custom ukes. I get excited, then see that they are all tenors. Tenor choices on HMS outnumber concerts 2:1 most of the time. I know they have the Hoffman & the aNueNue Moonbird concerts right now, but it seems that the bulk of the really special ukes are tenors. How about some concert love!
Just an observation & some whining by a concert scale lover. I'll hop down now.

Been thinking the same exact thing.
I ended up ordering a Loprinzi custom concert.

He hasn't built many, has he? He's also not accepting anyone for a wait list, so it's unlikely that there will be a new one available, or a used one finding its way to the marketplace.

Any sound samples anywhere of a Moore Bettah concert? His tenors are the best sounding tenors I've heard, (via sound samples, anyway.) I've never been able to find a sound sample of his concerts.

I have no idea how many MBU concerts Chuck has made. I do know some concert owners other than me. I also know a few MBU soprano owners. I'm guessing, as with most other ukes in North America, tenor is his most popular model. In general, MBU's of any size seldom come on the market. Maybe 3 or 4 pre-owned and 2 or 3 new per year. They are so good, that if you have one you keep it.

If I get a chance, I'll send you a sound sample of my concert...……..it won't be for a couple of weeks though.

As someone who is smaller in size, though no longer a kid, I guess it's a good thing I don't live in HI.
I do prefer the sound of a tenor, but my hands insist that they want a concert instead.

Exactly! Bought a tenor as my first uke and haven't really been able to play until I got a concert. Love the tenor sound but just can't stretch for them. Makes me nuts. Im just a little tiny person with little tiny hands. Went ahead and bought a Duke10 hoping I could stretch into it but not having much luck. Deerings too bloody heavy. Totally bummed about it.

If I get a chance, I'll send you a sound sample of my concert...……..it won't be for a couple of weeks though.

I'd love to hear it, if you get a chance. Thanks for considering it.

I had one custom uke debacle that cured me of the custom urge for life. As someone who doesn't need bling and who finds straight-grained woods to sound as good as, or better than, fancier grained-woods, personally I don't see the need to go above and beyond what some of the quality non-custom brands are offering in terms of sound. Not all will be amazing, but some will be. I've played a lot of ukes over the years and have yet to encounter a custom of any size that gives me "sound envy."

That was unfortunate that you had a bad experience with the custom. It is a gamble.

The Moore Bettah up for auction right now is seriously giving me "sound envy". LOL. I'm not into the inlays, though I appreciate the amazing workmanship, but the sound has me wanting to hear that one in person some day. So, if any of you buy it, come play it in my area some day. :)

Concert is my favorite size too, I started out on a soprano, moved to concert, tried tenor, just too long of a fret board. I also like to play my old Martin, so switching back and forth from concert to soprano is not a big problem. I'm also kind of upset that concerts don't get the great features some builders give tenors...

Tenors also seem to me more of a US thing, here in Europe most pro players seem to stick to sopranos, especially when they play more traditional styles (the '1600s to 1960s').

Still, I don't know many who prefer concert size, which seems to be more or less 'in-between'. Note that it never really was a thing either: the Vita uke fell into this size, a lot of Dobro and National ones as well, but didn't call themselves concert. The Johnny Marvin ukulele called itself a tenor, but was of what you and I would call a concert size.

I have no desire whatsoever to play a tenor scale uke. I don't wanna play a soprano, either. I don't care who is famous-who-plays-what, either. My Duke is a tenor scale, and I wish to the gods it was a concert, because when we gig, and I have to switch back and forth, it's a bee-otch. Someday when I can afford a Southern Cross banjouke...
Oh, and BTW, if you're looking for a really awesome custom concert scale uke, I doubt if you could do better than a LoPrinzi. That'll be my next, and last, uke.

Last edited:
Peter Hurney at Pohaku makes great custom concert ukes.

Edit: his concert ukes also have very tenor-like tone.

Last edited:
I went for the concert aNueNue Moonbird. I'm becoming more of a concert convert this year!

Peter Hurney at Pohaku makes great custom concert ukes.

Edit: his concert ukes also have very tenor-like tone.

They do look interesting. I wish specs on width at nut was a standard thing to include in the description, since that's important to me & I didn't see it for the Pokaku. One more to look into, though.

Top Bottom