No love for concert scale

How did I not know about the Ukulele Friend website? Some really nice ukuleles to drool over there. But again, almost all tenors. I have looked at the Pohaku site many times. They look really nice, and I think they are 1.5 inch nut?

There are certainly many great concert ukuleles out there, but they aren't as frequently advertised, and take more searching to find. I suppose this may be a good thing in the long run, or my bank account might be in trouble.

Well, I dont have anything to contribute on the OP's question, but boy am I glad we have many choices in different sizes, of all budget ranges and different woods and different style options...I feel grateful for the plethora we have available...

I like concerts best. They seem to hit the sweet spot tonally and I find the size to be the most comfortable. Having 4 sopranos, 3 concerts, 3 tenors and a baritone - it's definitely two of my concerts that get the most play time. My Kiwaya KTC-1 is not only my favorite uke, it's my favorite musical instrument.

I have no desire whatsoever to play a tenor scale uke. I don't wanna play a soprano, either. I don't care who is famous-who-plays-what, either. My Duke is a tenor scale, and I wish to the gods it was a concert, because when we gig, and I have to switch back and forth, it's a bee-otch. Someday when I can afford a Southern Cross banjouke...
Oh, and BTW, if you're looking for a really awesome custom concert scale uke, I doubt if you could do better than a LoPrinzi. That'll be my next, and last, uke.

I even went as far as to see if there was a way to get a concert neck blank from Ed at Duke. Figured I could put on my own fretboard, finish it and hook it up. No luck. I was bummed because I really like the way that headstock looks. Right now my Duke sits there looking lonely, and I'm wishing I could stretch my hands to play it.
I may go the route someone else is and build my own. I have a design, just haven't done it yet. I'll sell the Duke if that works. I love the sound of that Duke though

There are some higher end concerts out there -when Blackbird made their first ekoa instrument it was a concert scale - and that is probably the highest end alternative materials uke out there.

When it comes to the best custom builders, we mostly just take what they want to make us in whatever size that is.

I recently purchased a beautiful Hoffmann ML concert. I’m seriously considering dedicating that instrument for playing classical music.

I guess I need to eat a few of my words. Some sweet new & used concerts have popped up lately. Couple used Mya-Moe and new KoAloha Red label. Now I wish I had a couple extra thousand dollars laying around.

I only have one concert, a very nice Bruko which I really like though don't play it all that often. My first reasonable uke was a concert but I then gravitated to soprano for quite a while.

I mostly play tenor these days followed by baritone and soprano about equally. I have my ukes in a variety of tunings and so it's a combination of the tuning and the sound that determines what I play.

These days I mostly play my 6 and 8 string tenors as I like the fuller sound the extra strings give. The 8 string is tuned DGBE with just the D in octaves, the 6 string is GCEA, high G, C & A in octaves. Great for strumming not so good for picking.

Top Bottom