what strings for 23" Pono baritone Nui

That's not much shorter than guitar so I'd just try classical guitar sets. With standard sets, the tension will be a little lower than normal, so you might have to go with a high tension set if that's what you want.

I'd recommend the Thomastik Infeld CF128 set. This has two wound strings for your DG strings. You could try the CF127 set if you only want one wound string.

Thanks Jim, I was wondering how much the shorter scale length would affect the strings, if I went with a "guitar" set. Also, if I came up from a 20" or whatever a regular baritone (pono for instance), what would be the effect by the longer scale length. thanks,

Standard guitar scale is about 25.5" so it's like your Pono is capoing the guitar at the second fret. So your tension would be like you're tuning down a whole step on the guitar - if that makes sense.

Coming up from baritone uke, it's like you're *adding* three frets, so if you try to put strings designed for baritone uke, they are going to be quite a bit tighter, perhaps even dangerously so. If you go that route, I'd suggest going for a lower tuning first, maybe CFAD or even BEG#C#, and see how that feels.

It's an odd length so my advice is to be flexible as to tuning. Start low and tune up until you find the feel you want. If that happens to end up in E or F or F# instead of G, then so be it. You can always use a capo to get up to G if you have to.

I asked Pono.

They ship the Nui's with "normal" bari strings.

Well I can try both and see which I like. Thanks so much for your advice. Blessings, J.C. Bryant

I asked Pono.

They ship the Nui's with "normal" bari strings.

Yes......that is what I was going to say. Jim Hanks knows his stuff but he got it backwards on the tension using barittone strings. Because they are thinner in diameter and normal baritones are always criticized for floppy tension they should work great on a Nui. I have a LdfM baritone with 22-1/4" scale length and have used many normal baritone sets as well as classical guitar strings.

Guess I don't know my stuff as well as I thought. :p
Reminds me of the saying: in theory, there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.

Jim and Dave are the best,.......they know their ukes. As recommended, classical guitar strings, of which there are numerous brands, will give you the widest range of options.

Guess I don't know my stuff as well as I thought. :p
Reminds me of the saying: in theory, there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.

Jim you know more than most others, for sure. I just know my 22-1/2" scale baritone works well with D'Addario Titanium, Aquila carbon black and Martin M630 baritone sets.

I recently asked a similar question and received specific recommendations. Do a search on “Frankenstein”. There were specific brands and product code numbers mentioned.

Top Bottom