season 348 TELL US WHAT YOU REALLY THINK

You see - thousands of women (and others) are murdered in 'domestic violence' situations world wide every year. Survivors of such situations may not sing that song with quite as much enthusiasm as those footy fans - I think getting that point is important - if that makes me one of these people "Personally one of my bug bears in life is people who seem to spend their waking hours seeking offence in anything and everything, often on behalf of anyone and everyone" I guess I'll just have to wear it....

I guess that pretty much all songs, in a given situation, for any number of reasons, not just being a victim of domestic violence, can resonate negatively with some people and cause them offence. I would NEVER wish to diminish the impact of, or celebrate, domestic violence. I’m not sure how it can be inferred that I don’t get the point about that. I don’t think this song celebrates domestic violence, but at the same time, I have zero control over how another person perceives the intentions of a given song. Does that mean I shouldn’t sing or listen to that song? Because I might possibly cause offence? Should the many thousands in a crowd at a Rugby match not sing a song because there might be some people present who take offence at that song? Should people who have experience of mental health issues also call the banning of Delilah because it’s states “As she deceived me I watched and went out of my mind”? Best call for Willie Nelson’s “Crazy” to be banned then as well. Johnny Cash “shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die”. Well if that doesn’t glorify senseless violence I don’t know what does. Why stop with adult songs? The nursery rhyme Goosey Goosey Gander sees the narrator throw an old man down the stairs because he won’t say his prayers, so you have the double whammy of religious zealotry and elder abuse. You see where I’m going with this? Once you start calling for bans on songs for their ( perceived) offensive content, where do you finish? I am well aware that thousands of women, and children, are murdered each year by close relatives. This not only deeply saddens me, but as the father of a daughter, I can’t help worry about her future partners. More than likely they will be kind and caring, but you worry about the bad people out there. Domestic violence is a world wide societal problem for which banning a song will do little, if anything, to address. I stated I had a problem with those who sole purpose in life seems to be seeking out things to be offended by. Professional offence takers I call them. Open any newspaper and you will find them. As an aside, I have responded to this on here because that’s where the initial post was. Generally speaking, if anyone is ever offended or wishes to take issue with something I’ve posted on here, I am more than happy to have that brought to my attention via PM. Just my personal thought.

With you on this, John! I think, if you took this to its logical conclusion and searched hard enough, you could find contents which might be deemed undesirable (and offensive to someone) in most lyrics; but, surely, there are limits as to how far you should go with political correctness.

Last edited:
Wow, can't believe I'm doing such an un-PC song. This was apparently a big hit back in 1948 for Arthur Godfrey, a popular radio and early-TV personality, who also played the ukulele. I can just picture loads of American families gathered around the radio listening to this song on his weekly variety show. Especially offensive to me is hearing his creepy, derisive laughter and comments during the song, egging Paw on to really let her have it, influencing a generation of boys on how women could be treated.

In the song, even the church deacon enables more slapping of poor sister Bess. However, there are also comments from some who remember this song well, and enjoyed it. It was a different time. One YouTube comment summed it up well: "How times change. What was considered good clean comedy decades ago is today thought to be sheer illegal child abuse".

Here's the original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtSmAzklhoc

Last edited:
Grover decided to help me with this song about a misunderstood yute (as Joe Pesci might have said).

Ladies and gentlemen do not adjust your sets - yes, this is the same song I uploaded yesterday - namely a cover of Lynda’s excellent ‘The Sky Was Blue Above’. However, whilst I’m not the best at arranging or singing vocal harmonies, this came to me at breakfast this morning when I was listening to it again, so I added it to the mix this evening. I think it adds something to my first effort - see what you think:

Greetings,

Yup, I've lost it. Somehow I always found this song and depiction of women as nothing more than pill popping mothers annoying. So I opened this little vid with pills spilled out to look like a uke. In any case, it's a simple vid, I did have fun laying out the pills though.

Ciao

Delilah - terrific murder ballad and a well constructed and intersting song. I would never advocate banning such a song. There are many other such songs - Tom Dooley springs to mind. Totally valid music.

Delilah - lousy national sporting team crowd anthem due to the content of its lyrics. I would like to think they could find a more suitable one to sing.

My humble opinion which I hold firmly and with pride..... yes I'm the do gooder PC abomination we are ranting against this week.....

NWA was the first band that sprang to mind for me. But their least PC song, "F**k tha Police," proved to be too long at around six minutes (and to have too many skits with multiple roles required) for me to put together a uke version in a week.

But "Hate the Police" by the Texas hardcore punks the Dicks (band name's not PC either) and covered by Seattle grunge rockers Mudhoney shares a similar sentiment in just about two minutes (and without a single skit to act out). Catchy, too :p

Greetings,

I attempted the impossible, that is to collab with Birds Eye perfection of "So Many Tears". (Sorry about this, I fear I made your perfect vid worse). I added steel offsets, soft vocals, and a slide show trying to match your lyrics. Since it took about 10 hours to do, I feel compelled to post it.

Ciao

PS: It's a first for me.

collab with Birds Eye perfection of "So Many Tears".
WOW! :worship: that is a totally magical add! THANK YOU SO MUCH! you created the most amazing mellow trance/dance-like groove, and totally got me moving! love love LOVE it!

P.S. gina, i messaged you here on UU earlier tonight, about a song of yours that i'd love to do, if it's ok...

a version of 'Always Spinning' from Ralf's catalogue of consistently amazing songs.

I Saw Her Standing There - The Beatles

Last week I was given a guitalele, been trying to transfer my amateur guitar skills into it. Not very good compared to a lot of the ones here but I wanted to share anyway.

Also I think I'm stretching the theme a lot, but the line "she was just seventeen you know what I mean" can't be polically correct right?

Only just joined the forum's but I love the concept of SOTU, hoping to participate in a few more :)

gina brought this wonderful song, she arranged it from lyrics and chords that she found of her brother's, i found it so moving at the time, and it's stuck in my mind ever since...

This is another Berni Armstrong song, although the chords in this case are mine (as they where not on youtube), so I guess it becomes a totally different song ;-). Strong lyrics though, they really tell the story. This is called Cloud of Silence.

Top Bottom