season 348 TELL US WHAT YOU REALLY THINK

Sometimes our host's song writings remind me of this feller. Loudon Wainwright.
Here's one of Loudon's typically blunt offerings ."Men"
I like the way the emotions change throughout the song...sympathy, condemnation, resignation.
If you search the net you can find lists of up to 63 genders.I guess Loudon may have another 62 songs in him.

wow can't believe John did this one too! I recorded this one this morning but made it unlisted coz I wasn't sure if I liked my cover enough.
Anyway, I love this song, blew me away. Loudon Wainwright is such a great songwriter.

another tributary - cover of a super song that weegingayin wrote (again for my marc bolan/t rex season)...

Just listened to my original again... I had forgotten it... did I forget my medication when I recorded it
It is rather psychotropic listening to is now. Thanks for the cover.

By the way I came across this epic punk rock collab with you and PEEWEE ( where has he gone by the way )
It has fantastic energy by the way, and deserves a airing.

In 1933, a British entertainer Leslie Sarony wrote a song "Wheezy Anna", which became "Tante Anna" in Germany and next year, "Tädi Anna" in Estonia. Each version has a bit different lyrics. If in the 1930s it was offensive (or "funny") to hint that an auntie uses wrong kind of thread for darning socks, then nowadays some other lines seem more insulting...

This is pretty much how politics makes me feel right now.

Warren Zevon wrote from the perspective of a lot of naughty people. So I hope this fits the theme, Jon!

(Only a couple of flubs. Many verses here.)

Right ... going for the jugular now! I came across these images of Donald Trump yesterday, very cleverly imagined by an artist who goes by the pseudonym of "Saint Hoax" (more information on YouTube.) I would make the point that it is not my intention to offend any Trump supporters out there ... the words are Trump's own! The song, "Living Doll" is a very un-PC ditty from 1959 from Cliff Richard (one of my least favourite artists), which depicts women as "dolls" to be prized for their physical beauty above all else. (Sorry for my voice - I've got a weird sore throat at the moment!)

Last edited:
Greetings,

Some ethnic profiling in this one, so I don't think it's completely PC. Nor do I even like the song or the vid, but the dang thing had so many words that I had to put it up after all that blabbing.

Ciao

Last edited:
Another from me that conforms to the sub-theme - a cover of Lynda’s excellent ‘The Sky Was Blue Above’ from Linda’s season 338. Thanks to Lynda for letting me cover this. :)

a song by Jon. he has written so many great songs.... I will start with this one for now.

justifiable homicide
oh wow! your cover, and your answer song! both soooooooooooooooooooooo good! i'm still laughing!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!

did I forget my medication when I recorded it
It is rather psychotropic listening to is now.
we were all drunk on marc bolan fabulousness that week! ;)

this epic punk rock collab with you and PEEWEE
that collab was so much fun - and your add was sooooooooooooooooooo great! thanks for posting that, and taking me back!

i think i saw peewee post recently? i believe he got into mandolin, i'm guessing he's busy with that alot these days?

‘The Sky Was Blue Above’
oh wow, really lovely performance, THANK YOU SO MUCH for doing that!

......... I’ve included it here because Welsh Rugby Union fans like to sing it with great enthusiasm at the Millenium Stadium, and before that at The Arms Park in Cardiff. It’s a Tom Jones song ( ok not written by Tom, but to all intents and purposes his song) so there’s the Welsh connection there for a start. It even won an Ivor Novello in 1968. Then a few years back Plaid Cymru president Dafydd Iwan, and Welsh MP Chris Bryant both weighed in and called for supporters to stop singing Delilah because they felt it trivialised, and glorified violence toward women. I’m pretty sure that the thousands of men, and women, who still sing it every year in Cardiff, disagree, and have enough between their ears to know the difference between a rip roaring song about a crime of passion and one that says it’s ok to murder women. Personally one of my bug bears in life is people who seem to spend their waking hours seeking offence in anything and everything, often on behalf of anyone and everyone.

You see - thousands of women (and others) are murdered in 'domestic violence' situations world wide every year. Survivors of such situations may not sing that song with quite as much enthusiasm as those footy fans - I think getting that point is important - if that makes me one of these people "Personally one of my bug bears in life is people who seem to spend their waking hours seeking offence in anything and everything, often on behalf of anyone and everyone" I guess I'll just have to wear it....

I wonder how they'd feel about a song about the slaughter of defenceless animals -

Last edited:
Unable to watch your vid Gina.....

Greetings,

I hope it’s dead now. Thought I killed the post but it still seems alive. At least the vid is dead. Yuck. A failed attempt at electric uke. Someday.....

A wise uke player once told me never record a song that you don’t like. He was right. :)

Ciao

This was a favorite on the old Dr Dimento show (why have we never had a Dr Dimento week?). You'd never be able to produe a song like this today, even though which people he's lambasting, I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance for listening to my long intro on the video and I apologize for my long absence from the Seasons. I'm on holiday again, and have returned to Taungoo, the nice little town about 150 miles from Yangon where I previously sang Doggy on the Highway in Season 260 and Cool Change in 315.

Here's a Berni Armstrong song he submitted during my Bluegrass Season that my wife loved. To be politically incorrect for this week, I played in all on Dulcimer! I'm just a rebel to the core......

Top Bottom