season 348 TELL US WHAT YOU REALLY THINK

mountain goat

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
howdy folks and welcome to the new season!

this week is about political incorrectness

play any song you think falls into this category across whatever themes you deem relevant. it could be a favourite old or new song of yours. it could be a song that once held sway but is no longer relevant because of it's apparently offensive or outdated lyric content. it could be a song that is ignored because it's lyrics have been deigned inappropriate by the modern day PC police, or that has since been censored, re-written or watered down so as to comply with our so-called better standards. so much wonderful old, old-time and new music to mine this week.

let's see how things roll. looking forward to some great cover songs and some originals written in the spirit of the theme as I've laid it down - for better or worse. I want us to be able to sing and write what we think. the PC do gooders are being policed this week and your humble host has declared himself Chief of Anti-PC Police. of course, i'm guessing there'll be numerous performances that require a warning in your yt descriptions, but that's your call.

if this theme leaves you somewhat chilly, there's another way to jump on board this week...

sub-theme: cover any song that has been written by a songwriter currently or previously involved in this beast we call the Seasons of the Ukulele.

No shortage of material to dig deep into there.

I've assembled a crack panel of five anonymous music junkies to adjudicate this week. the five chosen winners will have their choice of one of a whole bunch of home-made rekkids joo and I have made over the past couple of years, together and individually, or the HICCUPS CD compilation we made from season 336 short songs. It's a ripper, super fun album. 68 songs in 54 minutes!!! more on the prizes later.

usual start and finish times apply. keep in mind that Andy's week of Nick Lowe and Elvis Costello songs still has a day and a half to run. i'll link a playlist to this post once the first songs roll in. those looking for ideas, i'll also post a few quick links later today to whet your appetite. at the outset, artists like David Allen Coe, Tom Lehrer, Randy Newman, Kinky Friedman, Loudon Wainwright immediately come to mind. also some of the old school blues and tin pan alley recordings...but it's a deep well!

have a ball y'all. i'll leave you with this. warning - explicit lyrics.

[URL="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLke38zZz2f5SDXr58-VAE4LfezcM_3G-k"]imoffended[/URL] (politically incorrect songs)

[URL="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLke38zZz2f5T9xAk9KwCSvRyyr8d4o_3H"]tributaries[/URL] (covers of songs written by seasonistas)

Last edited:
Great theme! Boy, I might be ruffling feathers here...

Great idea, Jon! (I couldn't possibly listen to your link yet ... far too early in the morning for explicit lyrics!) It will be interesting to see just HOW Un-PC we can collectively be!

Now here is the thing Halloween is supposedly a special holiday for children and they
are allowed to dress up as witches, demons, zombies, killer clowns for this one night
of the year. The rest of the year their parents protect them from these very things by
not allowing them to play violent video games , or watch scary movies on TV.
The care and concern that is observed the rest of the year is let slip and the things
that we try to protect children from on Halloween is actively encouraged.
Seems a bit hypocritical. What's a kid to think?

I have sung this song once before and the majority opinion was that I was being a spoil sport.
Apparently Halloween is a much loved holiday in America especially for children, and it seems
to have been exported all over the world... perhaps it is cynical to believe that it is just another
marketing ploy to get people to cram and fill their lives full of more rubbish, for even now the
supermarkets are awash with all sorts of junk associated with Halloween.

Well I'm a great believer in civility and courtesy and in considering what impact your words will have on other people - if that is called political correctness - then I think it's great!
People with a fervent religeous belief and old people are most likely to just say stuff and not give a rats rectum as to the impact of their words on other people imho. They know those who disagree with them are wrong and/or are going to hell.
Oh, and when you hear people refering to other people as them and those people you are most likely listening to manure.
Women have been the brunt of the most obnoxious treatment in the past and are still so. They are still second class citizens in many countries and cultures.
I know Randy has a song coming that indicates the most accepted pop songs in the past are disgraceful in terms of the treatment of women. John also has a more disguised one that shows the same attitudes that were always wrong no matter how widely accepted.
Having a daughter and grand daughters I have kept this vid unlisted - I would HATE anyone to think I really feel this way...

Some absolute manure here.

Last edited:
Before the Stones song- English bluesman John Mayall wrote a song called Brown Sugar.From his 1967 The Blues Alone album.Great album where he he plays and multi tracks all the instrumentation.Lyrics probably deemed dodgy today.In DGBD with slide.

Well I'm a great believer in civility and courtesy and in considering what impact your words will have on other people - if that is called political correctness - then I think it's great!
People with a fervent religeous belief and old people are most likely to just say stuff and not give a rats anus as to the impact of their words on other people imho. They know those who disagree with them are wrong and/or are going to hell.
Oh, and when you hear people refering to other people as them and those people you are most likely listening to manure.
Women have been the brunt of the most obnoxious treatment in the past and are still so. They are still second class citizens in many countries and cultures.
I know Randy has a song coming that indicates the most accepted pop songs in the past are disgraceful in terms of the treatment of women. John also has a more disguised one that shows the same attitudes that were always wrong no matter how widely accepted.
Having a daughter and grand daughters I have kept this vid unlisted - I would HATE anyone to think I really feel this way...

Thanks for this week Jon - it gives me a reason to do a few songs which I have been putting off, in case they offended. But now you say I HAVE to do them...I will start with something which angered feminists when it came out, and probably still does. And is it even worse if a man sings it?

Early Beatles. John Lennon expressed his regret for writing this several times.

As pa points out, you’re giving us a real challenge this week, Jon. Many non-pc songs (including plenty of standards) were written at a time racism or misogyny were often accepted, ignored, or not acknowledged. A lot of them were meant as satire that nowadays fall flat or make you cringe. I look forward to how we finesse this! I’ve got a couple in the memory banks.

Here's one by Don Rich, the famous lead guitarist and harmony singer of Buck Owens and the Buckaroos. I heard this song for the first time in a long time on Youtube a week ago or so, and my wife gave me "the look" as it played. I don't think this song was too politically correct when it came out in the mid 60's, but it's not that bad either. When I picked this uke up this morning I strummed it once, and the A string snapped. Has Aquila Reds on it, my only uke that does, and I like them, but have heard they can snap. So, I put a new one on, and did a "quickie" take before it stretched out of tune again.

Hi, Jon! I must apologise; having re-read your intro., I think I am approaching this back-to-front ... for heaven's sake pay attention, woman! There is absolutely NO WAY that I like this song in any shape or form ... the lyrics are totally appalling; I just did it as an example of something which is shamefully NOT politically correct. Oh, well, I shall now have to go and look for songs which are not PC that I actually LIKE!

Season 348. Submission 1. "Take The Long Island Railroad" A Bruce Rutherford Original (Copyright Bruce Rutherford, 2018)

Bruce was recognized in my Willie Nelson Season this summer for this original song. At the time he told me that he hoped that someday I might sing this one. This Season has just provided the perfect opportunity.

Bruce, I can't play the harp or a bluesy guitar or offer up a bluesy vocal the way you can, for sure. I've given this a go, though, and I hope you enjoy it.

Jon, thanks so very much for hosting again and your **** (censored) great theme. ;)

morning folks,
joo and I are just about to head out on our flower deliveries,
checking in to say howdy and how much i'm looking forward to listening
to these initial songs that have come through overnight.
enjoy your day/evening all, wherever you are!

A Bonzo song from yesteryear long before the seasons started.
These used to be called bonus songs, and unlike the original
this is done square dance style. Safe to say this song does its best
to offend everyone. So without further hesitation
Let's kill all the beautiful people

348-2

I think this song NON-PC because it says "Jelly Roll" in it and many people these days are either gluten intolerant or jelly intolerant or just intolerant.

I thought about taking the words "Jelly Roll" out of the song but that would have meant that I would have had to hold the word "blues" or an intolerable long time totally destroying the bouncy feel of the song. So I left "Jelly Roll" in the song. Sorry if it offends anyone. :p

Here's a controversial Merle Haggard song about an interracial relationship that wasn't allowed to be because of the times. Haggard badly wanted to release this as a single, but Capitol records said no, they thought it would hurt him with his fan base. Would it have though? It was later released as an album cut.

Top Bottom