season 348 TELL US WHAT YOU REALLY THINK

Taken from the Berlingo Sessions an approximation of a Krabbers spontaneous song.
Take your dog for a walk.

You want politically incorrect?? Well here ya go! A David Allan Coe song from the early 70's that's as politically incorrect as can be, but it's also quite hilarious.

I am so short of time this week: lots of marking to do. But here is my contribution to the theme. It is an original (what a surprise) reflecting on the whole PC debate.

It is played on a Tenor Ukulele Resonator - but with steel strings. I must admit to finding nylon strung resonators bizarre, since the very unique sound of the resonator comes from the steel or glass slide reacting with the steel strings to give that characteristic "hound dog" sound. When I had this instrument strung with the nylon strings it came with, it just sounded so flat and without any character.

I hope you like this sideways take on a blues.

Greetings,

Here is a little anti establishment stuff from decades ago. It's recorded on my iPhone as I head off to night class. Going to find myself a new career!

Have fun,
Ciao

Here’s one for the sub-theme - a cover of Joo’s wonderful ‘The Light Man Song’ from my ‘Let There Be Light’ season a few months back. This song builds gradually from a sad start to an inspiring and uplifting finish - I only hope my cover can do it justice! Special thanks to Joo for not only letting me attempt it but also for providing lyrics and chords to boot! :)

Nothing too risque here by today's standards, however this song was banned from radio airplay in Australia back in the 60s when it was released. Of course it was still available for purchase, and those of us that couldn't afford it sought out the jukeboxes that had it on board.

First of all thanks to Jon for hosting this week! Though I love the concept of this theme and many great songs came to mind, when it came time to pull the trigger, which includes putting the video up on my channel, I chose to go with a relatively safe choice that I feel definitely fit the theme when it came out. Obviously this song today would not be considered UN PC. It is famous for the version done on the Ed Sullivan show where Jim Morrison promised to change the word higher during the live performance, and then of course gave Ed and company the big middle finger by singing the song as it was written. Deceptively challenging song to learn ~

This song was written by 84 year-old Ray Jessel, who performed it on America's Got Talent.

SOTU 348: Tell Us What You Really Think! "Atheist In The Choir by d & e danner

Wrote this one a while back, but it seems we are always concerned about how it will be received and are often uncertain about the open-mindedness of our audience. I doubt that is a concern here in "SOTU-Land," and we were thrilled to have a chance to record it afresh for SOTU 348. Great theme, Jon!

well, I think today has been my favourite thus far.
so many fantastic performances here to enjoy:
originals, covers, covers of our members' songs.
thank you!!!
playlist is updated to the current point as I write.
see y'all on the morrow :)

One for your Tributaries list Jon. So many fab BEV tunes to choose from, but this one sticks in my memory because I had planned, and started , to write an “answer song” to it from the point of view of the thief :D. Might get it finished one of these days.
Anyway, it’s kind of a tribute to the brilliant song, about justifiable homicide, and a tribute to BEV style, which is uncopy-able really but I had fun trying. So, CBG “uke”? Check. Subdued lighting? Check. Curious animal or other creature stuck to the headstock? Check. Headless? Well, of course!

Quick edit: Couldn’t find my original “answer song” so polished this off about half an hour ago. I don’t mind if you want to move it to the Island Jon.

Last edited:
Here's one written by Robert Hunter and Jim Lauderdale, and it was the title of one of Lauderdale's CD's. I think it illustrates the shape the world is in quite well. To be politically incorrect to our esteemed host of this week, I played this on the Finnish Ukulele.....

Top Bottom