season 348 TELL US WHAT YOU REALLY THINK

And here's my second song, Smackwater Jack, by Carole King. With all the mass shootings that have gone on in the past few decades, I don't imagine that this song would go over well today...

Thanks for listening!

Guess you have you have never heard Denise Lasalle - Lick It Before You Stick It

actually I know this. but thanks for posting it Rob!
sure should be here!
I know Krabbers too. amazingly his legend reaches far beyond the UK,
even to the ass end of the world. whoodathunkit.

howdy again folks and folkies.
playlist is current to where we are now.
fantastic week of music, i'm grateful to y'all.

our crack panel of judges
- nay, they be not smokin't, jus'a judgin't -
should have a wrap like Christmas ready on the morrow.

howdy all.
before we all change gears into next season,
the playlist is updated to the current point.
some absolute corkers have come through of late
and again, really pleased to hear so many covers
of folks' songs. it's been the highlight for me this week.
though there aint many watching and listening,
your host is very appreciative of the music being made and played.
thanks everyone!!!!

for now, i'll leave you with this, and with an
EXTREMELY LOUD WARNING re explicit subject matter and lyrics -
probably the filthiest song I know of.
Loudon Wainwright's version v

A song remembered from the misspent part of my youth. Slightly different words but same 'sentiments'

with the final beautiful song from Ukulele Low, the season is now at its end.
please, listen to Filipino Baby above, it's well worth it.
the judges results have just come in so i'll rejoin with a final post later today or tomorrow.
thank you again everyone for playing this week.
jon

Thank you so much for hosting, Jon, and the wonderful themes you presented. Lots of fine music, mate! :)

after combining the results from the judging panel -
including shoutouts, there were 3 clear, (almost) unanimous choices
made regarding our winners.

the 5 winners for this week are as follows:

1. erivel (Eric and Cave)
2. Yukio (Christopher Fonda)
3. onlyukethatmatters (Ralf Youtz)
4. Ryan Bridgett-Blake
5. Rick Henderson

with the following members receiving loud shout-outs:

Del Griffiths
greyghost (Luis)
Joko McKenna
jp888then (John)
Ukulele Low
Ukefoote (Brian Fergus)
pabrizzer
Recovering Bassist (Trent)
mezcalero (Kevin Griffin)
Wim Van Ommen
Joo
Dennis & Evelyn Danner
one man and his uke (John)

unless the winners specifically would like an original rekkid from either joo or I
or from the Two Little Woodpeckers, I would like to send each of you a copy of
HICCUPS: seasonistas play short songs
a compilation CD from season 336 which features at least one song from everyone
who participated in that week. it's a fun recording of 68 songs in 54 minutes.

please email me here with your postal addresses:
singtomeofautumnleaves @ gmail dot com

once again, a huge thank you to all for sharing your wonderful music this week.

jon

Another great season, Jon, full of great music with a bit of thought-provoking and lively debate thrown in for good measure - thanks for all you did mate! On a personal level it was a challenging and ultimately very rewarding experience to cover a couple of fabulous songs by fellow seasonistas - hopefully a theme (or as in this case sub-theme) that will crop up again soon. Thanks again to Lynda and Joo for their kind permission and cooperation in this. Well done to the excellent winners, my fellow shoutees and everyone! Great work, Jon!

thank you for a great season, and congrats to the winners and shout-out-ees! i agree with del, the invite to cover other seasonistas' songs was wonderful, i would also love to have that theme/subtheme again - i brought an absolute shed load of songs and still only managed to microscopically scrape the tiniest bit of surface of the huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge mine of wonderful songs there is to choose from, and of course there are new originals every week!

eh thanks Linda, Del and Lynda.
for me the highlight of the week was listening to everyone's covers of other folks' originals.
i'd love a season devoted to it too and nearly did this week.
the different voices, different techniques used in the rhythm and melodies, the different personalities
really created new roads in for the listener to these awesome originals.
new layers of meaning, new interpretations -
which, and more broadly speaking, is the real stuff of music for me.
every song is new in the hands of a new player or the ears and heart of a new listener.

Thanks for a great week, Jon! The main theme was positively educational and it was, indeed, a revelation to hear the covers of Seasonistas' originals. Congrats to the winners and the "shout-out-ees".

Greetings,

Thanks Jon for a very special week, it was great to peruse through the originals and listen again for the creative efforts of all our talented Seasonistas. Congrats to winners and shout outs! It was a lot of fun.

Ciao

cheers Val and Gina.
the more I reflect upon it,
the more I realise
this season was about the folks who really make this happen each week. US!!!!!!!
with that said, there were more than a handful of anti-PC songs that hit me between the eyes.
I think that means that, as the host with the most, I won! haha. :)

Hi Jon..... You asked about syncopation. In that gorgeous vocal of yours I heard the kind of "play" in your delivery of the lyrics that reminded me of the way jazz artists play eighth notes "unevenly" (Each note is not played with equal value in the two to a beat.) I meant this as a great compliment, as the notes travelled in ways I couldn't have predicted. (I so hope this makes sense, mate.)

Last edited:
Guess you have you have never heard Denise Lasalle - Lick It Before You Stick It

Now for me there is nothing offensive there, it is just honest lyrics. I think the Politically Correct movement went off the rails when it mistook sexuality issues for gender issues. That has led to a kind of Puritanism by the back door that only gives succour to those who would turn back the clock to the 19th C.

Top Bottom