season 348 TELL US WHAT YOU REALLY THINK

Greetings,

Well, this song speaks of an embarrassment in American history. Some have taken offense to it, however let the truth be stated. I wish I could have played it better, but after several hours, I selected the best vid of the lot. I find some Neil Young songs are deceptively difficult when I attempt to play them. My mixing still has a long way to go. I can't seem to split the vocal and musical tracks, so on we go with the learning.

Ciao

is there a song limit this week? i'm so enjoying the subtheme, and don't wanna stop! here's yet another tributary, appropriately enough about a river... original song by tootler

hi everyone.
thanks for the super songs that have rolled in these past 24 hours or so.
my apologies, our internet service was down all of yesterday,
so I've just now caught up - save for 4 entries which I can't access, the you tube
seems to have imploded I hope, temporarily.
will listen and make comment to Rick, Bruce, Gina and Lynda as soon as I'm able.
enjoying this very much so far; and, aside from several songs which are clearly beyond the border, it
sorta speaks to me that at times we can take each other
and ourselves way too seriously.
til later, i'll leave you with this.

playlist is current to here.
as a brief aside, a shout out to Lynda and Linda for their sensitive and gorgeous covers
offered in tribute to some of our songwriting participants here.
very much hoping to hear more as the week progresses.
til tomorrow y'all...

Last edited:
apropos of nothing in particular,
Joko just uploaded this. LOL
sure we can all agree, one of our more non-PC seasonista folks.
dammit I love this guy.

One for the Tributaries list.
About this time last year, One Man And His Uke wrote this song for my Bobs & Billys season. It resonated with me, because at the time, my son looked like he might be residing in his room for quite some time. Since then he has taken John's advice, and flown the nest. :)
I decided to do this OMAHU style, filmed in a random corner of the house...

thanks for that, Steve. what a song.
you both can take a bow.

Ha ha, thanks Steve. Random corners of the house ROCK!

Anyway, this song is a murder ballad.....in the great tradition of murder ballads, Matty Groves being a fine example. I’ve included it here because Welsh Rugby Union fans like to sing it with great enthusiasm at the Millenium Stadium, and before that at The Arms Park in Cardiff. It’s a Tom Jones song ( ok not written by Tom, but to all intents and purposes his song) so there’s the Welsh connection there for a start. It even won an Ivor Novello in 1968. Then a few years back Plaid Cymru president Dafydd Iwan, and Welsh MP Chris Bryant both weighed in and called for supporters to stop singing Delilah because they felt it trivialised, and glorified violence toward women. I’m pretty sure that the thousands of men, and women, who still sing it every year in Cardiff, disagree, and have enough between their ears to know the difference between a rip roaring song about a crime of passion and one that says it’s ok to murder women. Personally one of my bug bears in life is people who seem to spend their waking hours seeking offence in anything and everything, often on behalf of anyone and everyone.

been away for two nights at Yerranderie - a silver mining ghost town, 100kms as the crow flies from Sydney cbd. Once a bustling town of miners 2000 strong and industrial buildings and mines all around. Now being reclaimed by the Australian bush. No phone no internet. My friend and i and the National Parks guy were the only three there. Kangaroos would literally join us around the campfire. Saw a white wombat and a dingo. The large goanna was quite happy being over friendly around the campsite.
Here's a Jon Duncan song that blew me away from first listen and one that I knew I would have to cover.

Last edited:
Are you saying that songs about murder aren't politically incorrect .... I mean, murder isn't politically incorrect? I did look up the phrase, and apparently, it didn't really come into use until the 70s/80s.

murder. so passe these days mate ;)
no Val. just a random link for my own edumacation purposes. :)

Top Bottom