Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VIDEO- Rubner tuners review and tips for installing

Default VIDEO- Rubner tuners review and tips for installing

Rubner tuners review and tips for installing

Nice to see the the middle hole is now in the middle Beau..The early ones didn't look quite right did they.
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuck View Post
    Nice to see the the middle hole is now in the middle Beau..The early ones didn't look quite right did they.
    Yep- the early rubner tuners had the middle hole, well, not in the middle AND the posts were 33mm apart instead of the industry standard of 35mm. They changed that really quick and they are all 35mm now.

Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!! If you file the 'tabs' off the bracket will eventually work lose. You must finish the job by peining the tab with a centre punch. This has happened to me with two sets of tuners failing....

I was wondering about that as I watched the video. It looks like a rivet style connection so filing off the end of the rivet could weaken the joint. I have never used these tuners but I would think about just making a relief in the side of the headstock with a burr to accommodate the protrusion.

If I was in charge of assembling these tuners at the factory..I would be looking for another way of fixing these lugs so that the joints were flush..Maybe a countersunk rivet method involving a slightly thicker side plate..Or even silver soldered and flushed...or spot welding could work...or maybe a custom made thin black plastic gasket fitted under the plate would do the job and look nice as well... But I'm retired now so it's not my problem
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

I'm no metal worker, but filing off the excess seems to not damage the strength.- we shall see.

I used to cut into the finish /wood to make room for the Rubner lugs, but not anymore.

By "peining the tab with a centre punch"- you mean flaring out the lug a bit?

These Schaller lugs look like a good idea. Screen Shot 2018-10-19 at 8.45.09 AM.jpg
    Last edited by Beau Hannam Ukuleles; 10-19-2018 at 04:57 AM.

I've had ukes back witj these brackets hanging off. Beau - listen to me! Dont do this. You are destroying a mwchanical joint. If you do this the fix is to hard centre punch the lug to ensure it is spreading into the mortice...

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuck View Post
    If I was in charge of assembling these tuners at the factory..I would be looking for another way of fixing these lugs so that the joints were flush..Maybe a countersunk rivet method involving a slightly thicker side plate..Or even silver soldered and flushed...or spot welding could work...or maybe a custom made thin black plastic gasket fitted under the plate would do the job and look nice as well... But I'm retired now so it's not my problem
    I like the gasket idea cuz there’s no damage to the wood or the tuners. Fixing the tuners probably voids any warranty.

The classical guitar Rubner tuners have that strange bump/lug as well. Guess it's a feature and not a defect...

Thread Information