VIDEO- Rubner tuners review and tips for installing

A Gilet Western Australian Sheoak 000 with slotted headstock and curly Koa binding.

P1010357.jpg
P1010359.jpg

Both very beautiful guitars!
I remember Tiger :)

I probably joined the tops, backs, bent the sides bound them. There were 4 luthiers at Gilet and we could all make a guitar from start to finish and we all just did whatever needed doing as they needed doing so it's hard to define who did what. I can tell by the heel shape that i didn't carve that neck on the sheoak guitar but i think i carved the Tiger heel...although sometimes a neck would be carved by someone and id go back and refine the heel shape.

Do you know the years they were made? TI can't make out the Tiger myrtle appears serial number.

Also, the bindings on the Tiger guitar are beefwood, and i have some of those same bindings here in Colorado.- Tricky to bend as most wood bends, and slowly breaks (if at all)- beefwood feels fine when bending then suddenly you are hold two bits of wood without any sense of it about to break.-- not many guitars got beefwood! but it looks great under finish.

Last edited:
Yes, I seems that Serial Number = Tiger.
I will enquire to see if anyone remembers the dates of acquisition. For Tiger, I think it is circa 2011.... but just guessing.
At least the mystery binding wood has been revealed.:)

Also, the bindings on the Tiger guitar are beefwood, and i have some of those same bindings here in Colorado.- Tricky to bend as most wood bends, and slowly breaks (if at all)- beefwood feels fine when bending then suddenly you are hold two bits of wood without any sense of it about to break.-- not many guitars got beefwood! but it looks great under finish.

I'm not really familiar with "beefwood" as it is an Aussie thing. This is what I found for the curious: Grevillea striata a type of "lacewood" native to western Australia. https://www.wood-database.com/beefwood/

Here we have one Australian who isn't too familiar with it either. There was some speculation on the binding wood of 'Tiger'. I had it pegged as being one of the plainer varieties of Snakewood (Acacia), so it's nice to have it positively identified.

There were a few wayward opinions on that binding, and none in agreeance. Beefwood did not come up, as none of us had ever heard of it. Thanks for the clarification, Beau.:)

Top Bottom