The downside of Open Mics...

S11LKO

Reaction score
I know I'm far from being a Frank Ifield when it comes to vocals, but this just proves you have to be disciplined and 'bring a wall down' sometimes at open mics.

At most such events I've attended people have been supportive of each other - as we are here on UU. But every now and again you come across a couple of guys who have had a few too many beers and think it's funny to cat-call and howl at someone on stage while that person is nervously trying to perform.

You'll hear them in the background, although AT THE TIME they were a lot louder than they appear here. I just had to try and ignore them and keep going. All a part of the experience though, I suppose. lol

I really didn't hear them but I know from experience when you are on stage "you" can hear all that stuff.

But your performance was flat out excellent, man oh man you hit high notes that would make my vocal cords screech. Really well played and sung, I'd forgotten that song but I really like it. A golden oldie, just like us:p

Keith: Too right my friend - yet again I didn't see either of those get up to 'demonstrate how it SHOULD be done'!

Dave: Thanks for your kind words my friend. I still have this ongoing sinus/nose/throat problem going on which affects my voice badly at times. They say the high blood pressure drugs I'm on may be creating excess mucus (Charming, and perhaps too much information, I know! lol) which is causing the problem; and when air can't flow it restricts the vocal sounds I can make. I used to have a reasonable voice with a pretty good range, but nowadays I'm sorry, but I can only give what my blocked up snozzer lets me at any given time!! lol

That would be my worse nightmare. Ive done open mics and folks were always very kind to me and other performers. Even when performers forgot lyrics or had flat out terrible voices, the audience was respectful and sympathetic and politely applauded at the end. It would certainly throw me off a bit if I got heckled but I would hope Id soldier on through. I would find it more embarrassing to stop and recognize them, unless they were really in my face.
I enjoyed your performance. Nice vocals. I envy your range and my guitar playing has a long way to go to catch up to you. You should be very proud of a fine effort especially in the face of adversity.

Thank you so much bunnyf (sorry, I don't know your real name), your words mean a lot to me.
As those who have read my previous posts will know, I've had my flack over the last two years from so called 'friends' and brother-in-law who mock the sound I make, and these two people were no different.
I decided long ago that I enjoy doing what I do and wasn't going to let detractors (who mostly can't play or sing AT ALL themselves) put me off of enjoying it.
Thankfully, most people I come across are supportive like you and the other guys and girls on here!! X

you sang and played very well Dave, full credit to you, its not easy getting up there alone in front of everyone, I bet the hecklers wouldn't have the balls to do that even if they were pi$$ed

you sang and played very well Dave, full credit to you, its not easy getting up there alone in front of everyone, I bet the hecklers wouldn't have the balls to do that even if they were pi$$ed

Well, I must admit my friend that I've yet to see anyone who 'extracts the Michael' from me OR heckle at gigs to actually get up and do anything themselves!! Thanks for your kind words.

I agree with everyone else, superb performance! no shame in your game, Dave! next time a heckler gives you a hard time, invite them up to sing along.

:shaka:

Very good, I guess when alcohol speaks, we are forced to hear, but not listen. I hope the rest of the crowd was appreciative of the performamce.

Thanks maki66 & ramone - your kind comments also appreciated.

Plunker: Very true my friend.
John: (Dangerfield's quote) LUV IT!!! lol
Thank you both for your kind words my friends.

I've had my flack over the last two years from so called 'friends' and brother-in-law who mock the sound I make, and these two people were no different.
I decided long ago that I enjoy doing what I do and wasn't going to let detractors (who mostly can't play or sing AT ALL themselves) put me off of enjoying it.
Thankfully, most people I come across are supportive like you and the other guys and girls on here!! X

Family and friends can be supportive but sometimes they can be your harshest critics. When my husband critiques me, I know he’s just trying to be helpful. Strangers are often more complimentary.

When I’m playing in public, I prefer not to have folks I know well in the audience. I find that they make me a bit nervous. I am comfortable playing in front of complete strangers. I guess in the back of my mind, I know that if I bomb I won’t have to see them again or at least I won’t be forever reminded of a less than stellar performance. It takes the pressure off.

btw, I guess I’m bothered by allergies now (never was when I was younger) and it can give me the sniffles and make singing more difficult, so I can relate to your issues. I am experimenting with drugs to resolve this problem and hope you find a solution too.
Keep on keepin’ on,
Bonnie

Thanks Bonnie. I guess we're mostly all plagued with the 'human condition' at the end of the day! lol

Thanks ubulele. Very kind.
Someone else said that to me a while ago, but I think the word 'talent' is a bit overkill!!
I do enjoy making a noise though and perhaps they're sensing that and just want to shoot me down a little. It seems to have become 'fashionable' to do so!! lol

Nice voice, Dave. My band performs mostly for senior centers and nursing homes. There is a lot of advantage to having a crowd who can’t really hear or remember us lol

Haha! Now THAT'S funny mate! I'm sure the old folk luv ya!!

Okay, I just think *anyone* who does open mic is really brave--but when you do it well, as you did, you really deserve my kudos. Seriously, I *might* do it in a small group, but I'd never put myself out like this easily. I admire you--and admire that you came to us to confirm that it *was* a couple of bad blokes, not you. Keep going!

Top Bottom