Can't hold Ukulele tight when I play.

Delich

Reaction score
I've never played guitar before so ukulele is my first plucking instrument.

I found it's really hard to hold the ukulele steady when I play, it's a tenor, but is still small for me, and the head would drop down when my left hand left the board.

Since I use 4 fingers approach with my right hand, so I can't hold it with my right, and I don't like to use a strap.

The only way seems effective is to play topless and put the uku on my belly, but that's awkward, you can't play in front of many when you are topless.

I've even thought about to put a piece of double tape on the back of the uku to stick it on my shirt, or rope the uku with my chest.

Any other crazy ideas?

Any other crazy ideas?

Give up and buy a harmonica! ... seriously though, all the symptoms you describe would be solved with a strap ... if you get a really thick one you could even use it topless ;)

I get shelf liners or rubbery rug underlays from the dollar stores and cut them about the size of the back of the uke. I put it under the bottom of the uke if sitting down, or on the back of the uke if standing. Helps with slippage.

Last edited:
Since you have eschewed the obvious solution--viz., the glory and beauty of the strap, there are a few workarounds available to you.

1. Sit down while you play and position the uke like a classical guitar
2. look at the recent thread entitled "sticky pad"
3. improve your technique so that you can squeeze the uke with your right forearm while you're plucking with your right hand
4. look at the youtube channel of Uncle Raggy. He improvises with some velcro affixed to the back of his uke and a lanyard (but if you're going to do this, why not just get a strap)

There's a few options for you. I play tenors exclusively and I never have this problem. I use straps but when I pick up my deskside crappy uke to mess around, I basically just set it in my lap so that the neck is more or less parallel with the floor with the lower bout resting on my right thigh. Or sometimes it seems like I put the crotch of the bouts on my left thigh. Neither one of these postures is best ergonomically, but it works.

Strap, strap, strap. I played guitar for almost 50 years, and uke for 5, the most efficient way to hold either is with a strap.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos

Ukes are fairly light, even a tenor. If you can learn to wedge the lower bout between your shoulder and chest by hunching forward and lightly supporting the neck in your fretting Palm. Check out banjolele players like Formby or Andy Eastwood. Otherwise use a strap.

I really don't know what to make of the topless comment. How does that help? :wtf:

There are other kinds of straps if you really don't like the traditional guitar-like strap. Google "ukulele strap hook" or "ukulele strap mobius" for examples

You mentioned not being able to hold it with your right hand because you use all four fingers. This would be true because when you are picking with your right hand you wouldn’t hold the use with your right hand, but with your left. When fretting do you have your left thumb at the back of the neck cupping the neck in your left hand?

Point of contact would be left thumb and right wrist/forearm.

Last edited:
Since you have eschewed the obvious solution--viz., the glory and beauty of the strap, there are a few workarounds available to you.

1. Sit down while you play and position the uke like a classical guitar
2. look at the recent thread entitled "sticky pad"
3. improve your technique so that you can squeeze the uke with your right forearm while you're plucking with your right hand
4. look at the youtube channel of Uncle Raggy. He improvises with some velcro affixed to the back of his uke and a lanyard (but if you're going to do this, why not just get a strap)

There's a few options for you. I play tenors exclusively and I never have this problem. I use straps but when I pick up my deskside crappy uke to mess around, I basically just set it in my lap so that the neck is more or less parallel with the floor with the lower bout resting on my right thigh. Or sometimes it seems like I put the crotch of the bouts on my left thigh. Neither one of these postures is best ergonomically, but it works.

I tried to play almost vertically, but that position gave me a weird feeling like I was playing a cello, too classical too solemn, don't like it.

I love tenor as well, the tone is so charming but not too deep like a baritone or guitar.

I am an all in strap person, 2 strap buttons on every Uke - even my Soprano.
They have been a tremendous help as I have only been playing for about a year, I am able to concentrate on what both of my hands are doing with greater detail.

Magic Flute makes removable rubber grip strips. Place them on the back of the body. Oasis also makes them. They are for classical guitar players.

I used to play guitar and when I play I use a guitar support called Tenuto. With the ukulele, I also have trouble keeping it still. Especially when changing chords. I like to play sitting down so I don't want to use a strap.

Anyway, I checked tenuto.ca website and they have a new model which looks like it may work for the ukulele. A tenor ukulele at least. It's designed for narrow bodied guitars. It's called Tenuto Slim. I just placed an order and will let you guys know if it works.

If I'm reading this correctly, it seems like the OP generally doesn't like the feeling of playing with a strap, and wants to be able to play without one.

The only ukes that are *very easy* to play without straps are, imo, 12-fret extremely light solid wood sopranos with basic friction tuners. That includes, for me, the high-end Martins and Kamaks but also a lot of affordable ones, such as the Ohana SK-28 and SK-38.

So basically my advice is, if the strap isn't working for you, start playing an extremely light soprano that's built to be held up with nothing but your hands and balance from your body.

Dslr0001.jpg

I received the Tenuto Slim today. I'm happy to report that it works for the tenor ukulele.

Last edited:
Top Bottom