Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't hold Ukulele tight when I play.

You mentioned not being able to hold it with your right hand because you use all four fingers. This would be true because when you are picking with your right hand you wouldn’t hold the use with your right hand, but with your left. When fretting do you have your left thumb at the back of the neck cupping the neck in your left hand?

Point of contact would be left thumb and right wrist/forearm.
    Last edited by Lacole; 10-17-2018 at 06:09 AM.
    LACole

Northern UK20 Concert
    Beaver Creek Maple Flame Tenor
    Eddy Finn EF-Moon Concert

I know, just don't like it, maybe I'll give a try.

Quote Originally Posted by ripock View Post
    Since you have eschewed the obvious solution--viz., the glory and beauty of the strap, there are a few workarounds available to you.

1. Sit down while you play and position the uke like a classical guitar
    2. look at the recent thread entitled "sticky pad"
    3. improve your technique so that you can squeeze the uke with your right forearm while you're plucking with your right hand
    4. look at the youtube channel of Uncle Raggy. He improvises with some velcro affixed to the back of his uke and a lanyard (but if you're going to do this, why not just get a strap)

There's a few options for you. I play tenors exclusively and I never have this problem. I use straps but when I pick up my deskside crappy uke to mess around, I basically just set it in my lap so that the neck is more or less parallel with the floor with the lower bout resting on my right thigh. Or sometimes it seems like I put the crotch of the bouts on my left thigh. Neither one of these postures is best ergonomically, but it works.
    I tried to play almost vertically, but that position gave me a weird feeling like I was playing a cello, too classical too solemn, don't like it.

I love tenor as well, the tone is so charming but not too deep like a baritone or guitar.

Magic Fluke sells Grip Strips, a fabric with adhesive on one side. It attaches to the back of your uke, and when in contact with your clothes, prevents the uke from slipping. Of course, it may not work when topless

I am an all in strap person, 2 strap buttons on every Uke - even my Soprano.
    They have been a tremendous help as I have only been playing for about a year, I am able to concentrate on what both of my hands are doing with greater detail.

Magic Flute makes removable rubber grip strips. Place them on the back of the body. Oasis also makes them. They are for classical guitar players.
    My pride and joy is a Solid Mahogany Tiny Tenor from Pepe Romero/Daniel Ho. I named it "Lumière"
    I also have a Kala Soprano KA-ASOV-S Spruce and Ovangkol which I named "Blood, Sweat, & Tears"
    And another soprano by Kanilea. The Islander AS-4 Acacia that I call "Little Bear"
    KLOS Carbon Fiber Tenor Deluxe Acoustic/Electric Ukulele - no name yet

Thread Information