Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can't hold Ukulele tight when I play.

The one thing that concerns me is the use of the word tight. To me that would create tension. Excess tension is bad no matter what instrument we play. One great piece of advice I received came from singer/songwriter Michael Johnson, Bluer Than Blue was a huge hit in the late 70's. He was a world class guitarist and had an extensive classical background. He told me to find a comfortable position while playing and to stay as relaxed as possible. Michael used a strap when playing in concert. A good example of Mike's playing is a youtube video of Mike and Leo Kottke. The man had serious skills but he made it look so easy.
    Last edited by peanuts56; 12-27-2018 at 05:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by peanuts56 View Post
    The one thing that concerns me is the use of the word tight. To me that would create tension. Excess tension is bad no matter what instrument we play.
    I agree.

One great piece of advice I received came from singer/songwriter Michael Johnson, Bluer Than Blue was a huge hit in the late 70's. He was a world class guitarist and had an extensive classical background. He told me to find a comfortable position while playing and to stay as relaxed as possible. Michael used a strap when playing in concert. A good example of Mike's playing is a youtube video of Mike and Leo Kottke. The man had serious skills but he made it look so easy.
    Nice advice.

Quote Originally Posted by esank2018 View Post
    I agree.

Nice advice.
    Sadly, Michael passed away in 2017. He was in his early 70's and had been battling health issues over the last few years. I know he had gone through bypass surgery at some point in time. He was a first class performer and a wonderful, warm, humble guy. He was incredibly funny and had a very dry wit.
    I heard him perform twice back around 2013. The shows were about a month apart and he remembered speaking to me at the first show. I've heard many well known guitarists over the years and he was in my top 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Delich View Post
    I've never played guitar before so ukulele is my first plucking instrument.

I found it's really hard to hold the ukulele steady when I play, it's a tenor, but is still small for me, and the head would drop down when my left hand left the board.

Since I use 4 fingers approach with my right hand, so I can't hold it with my right, and I don't like to use a strap.

The only way seems effective is to play topless and put the uku on my belly, but that's awkward, you can't play in front of many when you are topless.

I've even thought about to put a piece of double tape on the back of the uku to stick it on my shirt, or rope the uku with my chest.

Any other crazy ideas?
    I came up with the Mobius Strap to solve this exact problem. It gives complete hands-free support without modifying your ukulele. You can check it out at http://www.mobiusstrap.com. Works for me!
    Tim Mullins

1920s Martin Style 1 Soprano
    1940s Martin 1T Tenor
    2005 National Resophonics Vintage Steel Concert

Give your ukulele truly hands-free support
    -- with no modification to your instrument.
    Mobius Strap: A Ukulele Strap with a New Twist

Quote Originally Posted by esank2018 View Post
    Attachment 114289

I received the Tenuto Slim today. I'm happy to report that it works for the tenor ukulele.
    That is an interesting contraption. My question is, can you move the ukulele around with it attached? I move my ukulele while I play to get a better angle when I change from one chord to another. Would that hinder the movement?
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    That is an interesting contraption. My question is, can you move the ukulele around with it attached? I move my ukulele while I play to get a better angle when I change from one chord to another. Would that hinder the movement?
    Iím not sure I understand your question. The purpose of the support is to prevent the ukulele from moving when playing (e.g. when changing chords, etc.).

Anyway with the support on, you can adjust the supportís strap to adjust the height of the ukuleleís neck. The metal part below the suction cups can be swivelled so the ukulele rests better on your belly. You can also rest it either on your right or left leg whichever is comfortable.

Below is a link to a video on how it is used. Itís a different model but same concept.

https://youtu.be/Q0sULb42gtQ

Hope that helps, Sir

I can play guitar in standing posture without strap. There is a hidden technique about it. See these Youtube videos in this order.

1. Left Hand Technique by Shinji Maki
    2. Left Hand Technique by Inotomo
    3. Hidden Left Hand Technique by Inotomo

A is Japanese famous comedian Shinji Maki. He can hold ukulele only with his left hand. B is Inotomo, she also uses her left hand technique in this video. C. Inotomo plays guitalele in standing posture without strap. The left hand technique is not clear but her left hand support helps her playing.

Marty Robbins plays his terz guitar (small guitar) in standing posture without strap. If you see his play in Youtube, you can understand the importance of left hand support in his play. Because the head of his guitar heads to floor and we can see that he holds his guitar in his left hand. Jake Shimabukuro plays his tenor ukulele without strap sometimes. We may see his left hand support sometimes in his play in Youtube.

We may play banjolele without left hand support, because the shape of it's tail is round and we can bit easily hold it only in our right arm. After you've got this technique, your ukulele floats between your left and right hands.
    Kamaka HF-1 100

Thread Information