Placement of Bridge on Banjo Uke

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I know the 12th fret should be equidistant from the nut and the bridge, but I'm making a banjo uke, and I'm wondering if it makes a difference where on the drum the bridge is placed. I've seen them lower, middle, and upper.

I have to decide how long to make the neck, and that will determine the position of the bridge on the drum. I'm leaning to putting it just below the center. I'm using a concert neck and 10" drum.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ban...veAhUxmuAKHX33B-oQ_AUIoQQoAQ&biw=1920&bih=938

Wrong thread...

Do you have access to one that you think sounds particularly nice? Same concert neck & pot size? Then plan on placing your bridge in pretty much the same place.

Good luck with your project. I'm eager to see the final instrument.

I think you put this in the wrong forum. Maybe admins can move it.

Anyway. Very generally speaking with banjos.
Closer to the center = fatter, mellower, plunkier
Closer to the edge = Brighter, thinner, twangier

Just below center is probably a safe plan.

I know the 12th fret should be equidistant from the nut and the bridge, but I'm making a banjo uke, and I'm wondering if it makes a difference where on the drum the bridge is placed. I've seen them lower, middle, and upper.

I have to decide how long to make the neck, and that will determine the position of the bridge on the drum. I'm leaning to putting it just below the center. I'm using a concert neck and 10" drum.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ban...veAhUxmuAKHX33B-oQ_AUIoQQoAQ&biw=1920&bih=938

You're making this a lot more difficult than it actually is. The scale length of a concert is 15 inches plus 1.5/2.00mm compensation. So the bridge wi)l be 15 inches from the nut. If that puts the bridge in the wrong place then you need to factor that in to the toital neck length.
Plus as has been stated this is the marketplace forum. Your questions need to be in the luthiers lounge.

Once again, wrong forum Jerry. Are you doing this on purpose? :confused:

I do appreciate your enthusiasm though...

You know I'll be watching this one Jerry. I haven't started on one for me yet. I'm debating whether to start from scratch or buy a cheap Kmise and basically scavenge it for parts. Make sure you repost what you came up with. You going to use a truss rod or just an anchor bolt? I've heard people mention both ways. I'm like all excited for you!

Top Bottom