Square Peg in a Round Hole

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I'm making a banjo uke using a 10" drum. I didn't think it would be so challenging attaching the flat neck to the round drum. Live and learn.

I've been working at getting the curve just right, including making allowances for the band at the top of the drum. I think I have it to the point where I'm satisfied, but I'm taking a break for a while.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002F7KGK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And I have stated many times, getting the compound angle right on a round body joint is one of the most difficult things to do correctly on a banjo uke build.

From a previous post...

For fitting a neck to a rim, I cut a two part jig for the spindle sander. The jig part on the left has the radius of the rim, and that's clamped down to the table with the edge of the sandpaper roll right in line with the arc of the jig. The second part of the jig has the inverse radius and the neck is secured to that with two tiny countersunk screws from the under side. Slide the jig up to the piece that's clamped down and slowly push the jig around the curve. The spindle sands that exact curve. For the neck angle, you shim the peghead end accordingly to get the angle and curve in one pass.

IMG-0327.jpg IMG-0328.jpg IMG-0329.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom