FS: Vintage Martin Tenor - great sounding player's uke

Status
Not open for further replies.

bearbike137

Reaction score
SOLD: Vintage Martin Tenor - great sounding player's uke

Hi all. I am putting my vintage 12-fret Martin Tenor up for sale - again. I love this uke so much that I bought it back after I sold it last year.

It is not a collector’s uke – this one is for the players. That said, it is a phenomenal sounding vintage uke: loud, with that dry warm bell-like tone you only find with old mahogany. Great intonation. And it plays up the neck better than any uke I have ever played.

SOLD! shipped and Paypal’d to lower 48 states. Chipboard case.

Although there is quite a bit of wear - the uke is solid. I recently had a brace reglued by Third Coast Repair in Chicago (authorized Martin repair shop) and they gave the uke a clean bill of health – no cracks and structurally sound. The frets still look great. Lots of finish checking and crazing. Action is 4/32” (G string) and 3/32” (A string) at the 12th fret.

There is no “Made in USA” stamp on inside brace, so that means it was made somewhere between 1934 and 1961.

I can’t play this uke anymore because it is causing me chronic pain in my left wrist (I forgot that was the reason I sold it the first time around!).

This uke has been played and played over the decades because it sounds so great. I have attached a video clip. Now, bear in mind this was though my iPad mic, but at least you get an idea of the tone.

If you are looking for a great sounding vintage Martin Tenor for a reasonable price – this is it. Please contact me with any questions. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_8644.jpg
    IMG_8644.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_8602.jpg
    IMG_8602.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_8628.jpg
    IMG_8628.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_8634.jpg
    IMG_8634.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_8625.jpg
    IMG_8625.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
More photos

Attachments

• IMG_8618.jpg
    IMG_8618.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_8637.jpg
    IMG_8637.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_8608.jpg
    IMG_8608.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_8612.jpg
    IMG_8612.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_8641.jpg
    IMG_8641.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 53
Two more photos

Attachments

• IMG_8627.jpg
    IMG_8627.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_8631.jpg
    IMG_8631.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 54
Wow. That uke sounds incredible, even through the iPad mic. That sucks that you can't play it anymore. Good luck with the sale.

Interested in a trade for a concert or soprano? Ive got several in both sizes, vintage and newer that I could offer...let me know what you might be interested in (if interested)

Glenn

It's a shame about your wrist. Have you seen any experts about it? Great playing. Best of luck with the sale.

It's a shame about your wrist. Have you seen any experts about it? Great playing. Best of luck with the sale.

I honestly don't experience wrist issues with any of my other instruments. I have played guitar for 45 years without issue. My wrist is even fine with my Ko'olau uke. But there is something about these vintage Martin necks that doesn't get along with my left wrist. Honestly, my wrist still aches as I type this and I haven't played it since Monday (although I played it a lot that day!).

Got me more than any other Martin sample I’ve listened too. Great job!

Hey, thanks. Yeah, this vintage Martin is special. It is so opening sounding and the sustain is really good. Moreover, it retains volume up the neck like no other uke I have played or owned.

Somebody snap this up! Very reasonable price for an intact Martin tenor. Martin is the gold standard of vintage ukes from the mainland. You’d be hard pressed to get a richer sound from a mahogany tenor. I’ve got one I found on eBay a few yrs. back. The neck is made slim, perfect for medium sized woman’s hand. Action is ideal for strumming and finger picking both.

Great playing & the ukulele sounds wonderful. Makes me wish I played tenor so I could grab this one.
Good luck with the sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom