Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does learning the ukulele first help in learning of the guitar easier in the future?

Default Does learning the ukulele first help in learning of the guitar easier in the future?

If we learn and master the ukulele first, will the knowledge help in learning the guitar easier in the future?

I never tried it that way around, as I tried learning guitar first, uke later.

But I am pretty sure it will help. There are so many concepts that are the same.

That being said, you might also pick up some habits that dont translate, so if you really want to play guitar then go for that. Learn the uke is you feel like learning the uke.
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Anuenue African Mahogany Tenor, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

I played uke for maybe 6 years or so before I started guitar and it helped a great deal. The steel strings were an easy adjustment cuz my fingers were already fairly callused. The chord shapes transfer over. If you play baritone uke they will be the same just w/o the bass notes. If you go with one of the smaller size ukes, the shapes will be similar, you’ll just be in a different key so you will have to just learn new chord names for the same shapes. Strumming and picking techniques learned on the uke will put you way ahead of other rank beginners on guitar.
    I love playing both guitar and uke. They both have different plus sides.

It will certainly help, you will know how to strum, fret, and tune for starters, but why learn guitar when you already have a ukulele???
    http://www.youtube.com/user/hoosierhiver

UWC: no shirt, no shoes, no problem..

Ukes questions should be emailed to mike@mainlandukes.com

I know Gary Yoshida.

it helps me but not a great deal, as the ukingviking said it has its drawbacks, chord shapes are different and the ones that are the same shape are a different chord, the only thing it has helped me with is knowing how much work i will need to put in to get to a reasonable standard, i think playing the uke helps a little with dexterity, but thats about it really, i really am enjoying the challenge of learning to play guitar, but i also look forward to my uke practice after my guitar practice
    SOPRANO Kala Solid Mahogany SMHS, KoAloha Pikkake,

CONCERT Kala Flamed Maple FMC, Honu Solid Hawaiian Mango,

TENOR Kala Jazz Top, Mainland Red Cedar, Pete Howlett Cherry Marmite, Mahon Custom Cedar Top Solid Wood Electro Acoustic

BARITONE Lani LB-55CEQ Solid Spruce Top

Facebook page:- https://www.facebook.com/#!/richard.gent2

I played guitar for almost 50 years before I took up the ukulele 5 years ago. That certainly made it easier, and as it turns out, I haven’t touched my guitars since and most likely never will.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/videos
    Last edited by kohanmike; 10-18-2018 at 02:04 PM.

Once you learn how to read and play music, learning another instrument will become easier.
    LACole

Northern UK20 Concert
    Beaver Creek Maple Flame Tenor
    Eddy Finn EF-Moon Concert

My journey which started with the uke and lead to guitar, tenor guitar, and now mandolin has, along the way, given me a basic understanding of music theory which has helped immensely in the transition from one stringed instrument to another. I have a basic understanding of chord construction (I no longer have to rely on a chord chart to figure out how to make the chord I want). I understand how the fretboards are laid out and where I can find the root, third, fifth etc. I understand 4/3 tuning, 5ths tuning, scales and how to make them, where to put the sharps or when you need flats and so much more. Music theory is really an eye opener and the uke is an excellent place to start...or stay.

Thanks for your replies

Baritone uke especially, yes, because bari is tuned the same as a guitar (the four higher pitch strings of a guitar). Bari is much like a small classical guitar (nylon stringed) without the two lowest strings. Scales and chords on those four strings are the same for both instruments. To me, bari is more like guitar than tradition ukes, with their re-entrant tuning and higher pitched strings.

Thread Information