Is concert ukulele meant for adult beginners?

Reaction score
Hello Members,

I have a query to ask you all.

Is concert ukulele meant for adult beginners?

I have visited some musical instrument shops. Some of the salesman told me that soprano ukuleles are meant for children and not for adults. So, they recommended that I buy a concert ukulele.

However, there are other salesman that advised that adults can also use soprano ukulele.

Looking forward to your advice on whether soprano ukulele or concert ukulele is better for adult beginners.

Not true, all sizes can be and are meant to be played by adults. That being said, the larger the ukulele, the more space between the frets, so children will have an easier time learning on a soprano until their hands get adult sized.

For my part, I started with a concert. Not because someone told me that I should, I used the Goldilocks principle. In retrospect, I might have started on a soprano if I had it to do over, for no other reason than they are a little more compact to haul around. I do happen to have both now though. For a point of reference, I'm 6'1, 205, with size 10 1/2 ring finger, and I'm old. I can't say that I prefer one over the other or that I find one easier to play over the other.

Sales people only want to sell what they've got! :rolleyes:

I always recommend starting out with a concert scale, from there, once you've got a feel for it, you will likely know where your best option is. ;)

From sopranino to baritone, all are played by adults, it's what you want that counts. :)

Thanks for asking your question.

it gives all of us a refresher of sorts RE: issues that may no longer be a concern
for us, but can be confusing for newbies or at least those who haven't thought about
the issue before :)

it lets the UU Family/Ohana chime in with mutual support and encouragement, not to
mention formal ukulele education! :)

keep uke'in',

Any size ukulele is meant for anyone who wants to play it. Soprano is the original size, played by generations of adults (and children). Whether it's the right size for you is something only you can figure out by playing a variety of ukes.

Do not go back to that music store. Even if the sales guy was new, they should have trained him to NOT make stuff up when he knows nothing. Either he (and by implication the store) is entirely ignorant of the ukulele and its history... or he was lying to get you to buy a more expensive model. Neither is a good sign. Find a store where they know something about ukes, or go to an online dealer that specializes in ukes.

How do dumba$$ people like that get hired to work in music stores?
(The same way politicians get elected?)
If the guy that sold us my hybrid car last week was that d--- stupid, I would have walked away, carless.

Next week, I'll tell you how I really feel....
I'm just not getting along well with stupid today.

"Next week, I'll tell you how I really feel..." Hahahahahaha, Nickie, you made my day with that !! And to "ukuleleprorobin" (the originator of this thread), I totally agree with the other forum members, that the soprano size isn't intended to be for kids only! Anyone who tells you differently should go watch a video of Andy Eastwood, John King, or perhaps Ukulele Uff (Chris Hough), to name just a few. The bottom line is, ANY of the sizes is as "legit" as the others. Your own instincts will tell you which is best for you!

No...concert ukuleles are not meant for adults. If you own one, you should box it up and send it to me. While I am an adult, I feel like a kid, and my wife is in India (no kidding) at the moment, so if she comes home and there are 4,000 ukuleles in the house, everyone will be happy.

Seriously, though...Concert scale is my favorite.

Sounds like a bull****ter to me! See my sig for clarification! As others have already explained, any size for anybody,depending what you like and are most comfortable playing/holding/hearing!

All kidding aside, I've seen adults learning with and or playing all of ukulele sizes. Children usually get stuck with whatever their parents pick out for them but as an adult, you can start with any size ukulele you want.

Top Bottom