In defence of Aquila Nylgut!

Hendulele said:- "The Aquila Sugars are on my cedar-topped Ohana (the primary uke I take to jams), and it adds clarity and punch to a uke that's already pretty loud."

Reading this, I realised that my own Ohana SK50MG (cedar top) still wears the original Nylguts that were fitted when it was new - ten years ago! They still sound good, but it's time for a change.

I've ordered some Aquila Sugars for it and will report back, once they are fitted and settled in.

John Colter

If your originals held up for 10 years, the sugars should last generations!

Hendulele said:- "The Aquila Sugars are on my cedar-topped Ohana (the primary uke I take to jams), and it adds clarity and punch to a uke that's already pretty loud."

Reading this, I realised that my own Ohana SK50MG (cedar top) still wears the original Nylguts that were fitted when it was new - ten years ago! They still sound good, but it's time for a change.

I've ordered some Aquila Sugars for it and will report back, once they are fitted and settled in.

John Colter

If your originals held up for 10 years, the sugars should last generations!

Back in the day when Nylguts were king, I got a deal on a dozen sets of them for my concert. Then a few years later I picked up another half dozen sets at a ukulele festival in a clearance box. I change my strings out at least once a year, whether they need it or not, so I still have a pretty good supply of them. I think that I have at least three sets for my Soprano squirreled away somewhere, so I'm going to be a Nylgut man for a while. I'm always preparing for the ukulele apocalypse. If it happens, I can trade ukulele strings for ammo. However,,,, the other day I strung my soprano up with the Aquila Bionylon strings that someone gave me. So far so good, I can't tell the difference.

Last edited:
My wife's Mainland mahogany concert sounds great with Aquila New Nylguts, no reason to change.

Funny you should post this now. I used to be a all FC strings guy. Just started recently, I have been re-discovering Aquila Nylguts. It started with me trying CGDA fifth tuning (Aquila 31) and the nylgut strings sounded really good. I also like the smooth robust feeling on the fingers.

"If your originals held up for 10 years, the sugars should last generations!"

They'll see me out, then. I'm eighty years of age!

John Colter.

John Colter

Aquila Nylguts sounded brash and harsh on my Ohana TK-50G, I'm using Living Waters on my Ohana TK-50G (cedar top/rw back and sides), and I like them, but maybe I'll try Aquila Sugars next on it.

Now on my little concert Ohana CK-10S the Nylguts sound fine.

The Aquila sugars for my cedar top Ohana arrived a few days ago. They have now settled in enough to play, without having to be re-tuned every few minutes. The first thing I noticed was that they seem to take quite a while to stop stretching - particularly the "C" string. I began to wonder if the tuner was slipping, so I gave the center screw a tweak, but it made no difference. I just had to wait until the string had stopped settling in.

I'm finding it difficult to describe the difference compared with the Nylguts. For one thing, the Nylguts were ten years old, so it's not a fair comparison. Anyway, the "Sugars" feel as though they operate at higher tension, and need more pressure from the fretting hand. Not a problem.

The sound is very clear with good volume and sustain. I definitely prefer the "Sugars" to the old "Nylguts", but I suppose a new set of "Nylguts" would have made a big difference, too. I've tried a comparison against my KoAloha and my Ohana all Koa sopranos. All that did was show that they are all very nice ukes with distinct individual characteristics.

So, I'm afraid I've not been much help. All I can say is I'm glad I tried the "Sugars" and will keep them on the Ohana cedar top, but I'm still perfectly happy with the "Nylguts" on most of my other ukes.

John Colter.

I think nylguts have their merits. They are certainly a step up from no name strings that come on entry level uke's. Laminates and entry uke's tend to be overbuilt and the mass of nylguts really helps drive those instruments which helps them sound better. But I think on higher end uke's that don't need as much help with volume and drive, flouro carbons bring more out of the instrument, especially if you like a brighter sound. The vast majority of uke's are laminates though, and I bet mimo out sells every other string combined several times over. He makes a very consistent product (reds excluded) for a low price that sounds pretty decent. And nylguts Outlast most strings.

My wife (who grew up outside Pittsburgh and has always been a Steelers fan) gave me the Official NFL Sanctioned Steelers ukulele, partly as a gag gift/for wall art/whatever.

It's a cheap Chinese-made soprano, action too high, fret ends a bit rough, but it serves a decorative purpose. For the heck of it, I put a set of Sugar strings on it a few months back, played it a couple of times. It sounded about as uninspiring as I expected. Then a few days ago, I took it off the wall, retuned, and played it again. It's not that bad. The strings really help.

I'm not going to make it a regular part of the rotation, but the strings made a difference.

I'll probably get another set and try them on a different uke that isn't brightened up by FC strings quite enough.

IMG_4028.jpg

I really like the feel of Super Nylguts.

However I tried Lavas on my Tenor, and didn't like the sound as much.
I ended up putting Worth Browns on it.

I do really like the Martin/Aquila Polygut strings on my Kala Elite "doghair" soprano, and
plan on trying them on my Tenor next.

It’s funny, I like the sound of Nylgut in general, even as it’s not my favorite for any particular instrument, though it comes close on me concert

How does the string tension of the Nylgut compare to other nylon and fluorocarbon string manufacturers ?

Regards Dave

I'm resurrecting this topic to add my humble opinion:

I guess that one thing that is often forgotten is that our idea of "the sound" is different, everyone of us has different references in tone and sound, also in music.

for example, I can't stand the sound of fluorocarbons in any option because, to me, they sound to "thin", with too much mid frequencies and poor on basses and highs.
yes, they have a wonderful "string to string definition", but to my "likes" they feel too thin and with a "plastic" feel in sound.

my ukulele references, however, are Cliff Edwards, George Formby, Roy Smek and those era of players, when they only had gut strings and their ukuleles sounded very "punchy" and bright on the highs, and I noticed that my ears do prefer Aquila for that reason: they have the brightness on the highs, a good punch on the lows and make the ukulele sound a lot "vintage" :D

in my opinion it's just this, it's about our references.

FE: I play bass guitar, and we have many type of strings, in particular roundwound and flatwound.
the flatwound are the "vintage" strings used since the 50's, when the bass was born, and they are the typical sound of the 50's and 60's (and a big part of the 70's), with a mellow tone and less sustain.

in the mid 60's they started making steel roundwound strings, with a metallic and bright tone and more sustain, and they started a new era of sound.
if you like the Beatles, you don't want roundwound strings, but if you like the Who, you need round :D

today we still use a lot flatwound strings when a "vintage" sound is needed, and it's a tone you can't get from rounds (and viceversa).

it's all up to what you like and feel in your head.

for example, I can't stand the sound of fluorocarbons in any option because, to me, they sound to "thin", with too much mid frequencies and poor on basses and highs.
yes, they have a wonderful "string to string definition", but to my "likes" they feel too thin and with a "plastic" feel in sound.

my ukulele references, however, are Cliff Edwards, George Formby, Roy Smek and those era of players, when they only had gut strings and their ukuleles sounded very "punchy" and bright on the highs, and I noticed that my ears do prefer Aquila for that reason: they have the brightness on the highs, a good punch on the lows and make the ukulele sound a lot "vintage" :D

it's all up to what you like and feel in your head.
Great points. The Nylguts are a great choice, especially on vintage instruments or if looking for that classic tone. D'Addario Nyltech (also made by Aquila) are also great strings. I agree that it is important to find the sound and feel that works for you.

Just thought I would send a nod to Aquila for their Nylgut strings. Everybody has their own personal preferences for strings and these forums are a way of discussing, giving personal reviews, recommendations and likes/dislikes for strings that they use.
What I have noticed is that there are a lot of players who much prefer other brands and types. The most favoured seems to be fluorocarbon types! This is fine but a lot of players are quite vocal in their dislike for Aquila Nylgut strings.
I have tried a couple of sets of fluorocarbon strings by a couple of well known manufactures and find that they are very nice to play. Easy under the fingers and are very light to the touch. However I much prefer the feel of the Nylgut strings. They are more robust under the fingers. I can feel some resistance when I press the strings which I find reassuring. But it is the tone of the strings that I really like. You can sort of push the string to find different sweet spots on the string. Playing vibrato technique is a real strong point with the string. You can bend and tease the note to achieve different colours and I always feel I am in control of the string. They are not too light as to feel insecure! Great for strumming again for the same reason that I can feel a little resistance in the string to play against. I have heard that the Nylguts colour the sound a little and this maybe the case. If it does it is in my opinion not unpleasant!
I use the Nylguts on a couple of Tenor Ukuleles......An all mahogany Ohana and a koa Kanile'a.
I am not criticizing anybody's string choice here. What other people choose obviously works for them. I am just giving Aquila the thumbs up from my perspective.
I will try different strings from time to time and maybe at some stage I will find another brand or type that I prefer. Until that time occurs I am very happy with Aquila Nylgut!
Mike
I have no complaints about any strings, which will give you an idea of my expertise on the ukulele. : )

My ukes have all different kinds of strings, and they sound fine to me. The only time I have to make a choice is when I make a uke, or a string breaks, and I have to replace them. I have an assortment of sizes and brands. I especially like the brand that comes in double lengths. You know the one I mean. Don't make me get up and walk into the other room. 😋

I am also not a string snob and have to admit that my low G tenor right now started out with a fresh set of Super Nylgut but over the years as strings got replaced now also has low G red and a black A, and they seem to go together fine. I sure prefer Nylgut on tenors as they have nice thickness for left hand effects, and for right hand low great tone and dynamic control from pp to ff. I think they make me sound good in performances and jams and are great for bringing out the characteristics of higher end ukes, particularly those made of Hawaiian Koa.

I like the FC strings on smaller ukes and more for playing and practicing quietly. They are suitable for brightening laminate ukes, but I often find them harsh sounding on tenor uke recordings.

Nylguts were designed to replace gut strings and typically have a more traditional sound to them.

The last 20 years have ushered in a significant change in the sound and playing style of a ukulele.

For a lack of a better description, the ukulele has been “guitarized” with more sustain and tuning down to increase a lower, richer??, sound.

John

I think the real beauty of the ukulele is that you can make the instrument whatever you want it to be.

With the different sizes, stringing, and tunings it pretty much works in any genre.

John

Last edited:
Top Bottom