Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: In defence of Aquila Nylgut!

Quote Originally Posted by EDW View Post
    I think Aquilas are good strings and I appreciate all the work Mimmo does in developing new products. ...
    Agree. Except for one, they are on all my ukes and banjo-ukes. When the original strings on the exception need replacing, it too will get Aquilas. There are a lot of good brands and to each his/her own. I go with what has always worked well.
    ...SteveZ

Ukuleles: Martin T1K (T)*, Oscar Schmidt OU28T (T8), Lanikai LU-6 (T6), RISA Solid (C), Effin UkeStart (C), Flea (S)**
    Banjo-Ukes: Duke 10 (T)*, Lanikai LB6-S (S)*
    Tenor Guitars: Martin TEN515, Blueridge BR-40T
    Tenor Banjo: Deering Goodtime 17-Fret
    Mandolin: Burgess (#7)***

Tuning: *Reentrant C CGDA. **DAEB. ***GDAE. The rest are CGDA

The inventory is always in some flux, but that's part of the fun.

Quote Originally Posted by ukantor View Post
    Hendulele said:- "The Aquila Sugars are on my cedar-topped Ohana (the primary uke I take to jams), and it adds clarity and punch to a uke that's already pretty loud."

Reading this, I realised that my own Ohana SK50MG (cedar top) still wears the original Nylguts that were fitted when it was new - ten years ago! They still sound good, but it's time for a change.

I've ordered some Aquila Sugars for it and will report back, once they are fitted and settled in.

John Colter
    If your originals held up for 10 years, the sugars should last generations!
    Martin C1K • Vintage 'Mauna Loa' c. 1925 soprano • Famous by Kiwaya FS-1 <yippee!!> • Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top) • Ohana SK-28 ‘Nunes’ <suh-weet> • Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany soprano <yay!!> • Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> • Flea koa soprano • Makala MK-CE concert • Kahuna "Felix the Cat" soprano • Woodrow "Steelers" soprano <eyeroll>

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

Hendulele said:- "The Aquila Sugars are on my cedar-topped Ohana (the primary uke I take to jams), and it adds clarity and punch to a uke that's already pretty loud."

Reading this, I realised that my own Ohana SK50MG (cedar top) still wears the original Nylguts that were fitted when it was new - ten years ago! They still sound good, but it's time for a change.

I've ordered some Aquila Sugars for it and will report back, once they are fitted and settled in.

John Colter
    Quote Originally Posted by hendulele View Post
    If your originals held up for 10 years, the sugars should last generations!
    Back in the day when Nylguts were king, I got a deal on a dozen sets of them for my concert. Then a few years later I picked up another half dozen sets at a ukulele festival in a clearance box. I change my strings out at least once a year, whether they need it or not, so I still have a pretty good supply of them. I think that I have at least three sets for my Soprano squirreled away somewhere, so I'm going to be a Nylgut man for a while. I'm always preparing for the ukulele apocalypse. If it happens, I can trade ukulele strings for ammo. However,,,, the other day I strung my soprano up with the Aquila Bionylon strings that someone gave me. So far so good, I can't tell the difference.
    Last edited by Rllink; 10-20-2018 at 04:58 AM.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

My wife's Mainland mahogany concert sounds great with Aquila New Nylguts, no reason to change.
    I am the best ukulele player on my block!

Funny you should post this now. I used to be a all FC strings guy. Just started recently, I have been re-discovering Aquila Nylguts. It started with me trying CGDA fifth tuning (Aquila 31) and the nylgut strings sounded really good. I also like the smooth robust feeling on the fingers.

"If your originals held up for 10 years, the sugars should last generations!"

They'll see me out, then. I'm eighty years of age!

John Colter.

Quote Originally Posted by babaluke View Post
    Alex from SUS did a good review here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOekJnMGoSI
    Just spotted this........Thanks for the heads up!
    Mike

John Colter
    Aquila Nylguts sounded brash and harsh on my Ohana TK-50G, I'm using Living Waters on my Ohana TK-50G (cedar top/rw back and sides), and I like them, but maybe I'll try Aquila Sugars next on it.

Now on my little concert Ohana CK-10S the Nylguts sound fine.

The Aquila sugars for my cedar top Ohana arrived a few days ago. They have now settled in enough to play, without having to be re-tuned every few minutes. The first thing I noticed was that they seem to take quite a while to stop stretching - particularly the "C" string. I began to wonder if the tuner was slipping, so I gave the center screw a tweak, but it made no difference. I just had to wait until the string had stopped settling in.

I'm finding it difficult to describe the difference compared with the Nylguts. For one thing, the Nylguts were ten years old, so it's not a fair comparison. Anyway, the "Sugars" feel as though they operate at higher tension, and need more pressure from the fretting hand. Not a problem.

The sound is very clear with good volume and sustain. I definitely prefer the "Sugars" to the old "Nylguts", but I suppose a new set of "Nylguts" would have made a big difference, too. I've tried a comparison against my KoAloha and my Ohana all Koa sopranos. All that did was show that they are all very nice ukes with distinct individual characteristics.

So, I'm afraid I've not been much help. All I can say is I'm glad I tried the "Sugars" and will keep them on the Ohana cedar top, but I'm still perfectly happy with the "Nylguts" on most of my other ukes.

John Colter.

I think nylguts have their merits. They are certainly a step up from no name strings that come on entry level uke's. Laminates and entry uke's tend to be overbuilt and the mass of nylguts really helps drive those instruments which helps them sound better. But I think on higher end uke's that don't need as much help with volume and drive, flouro carbons bring more out of the instrument, especially if you like a brighter sound. The vast majority of uke's are laminates though, and I bet mimo out sells every other string combined several times over. He makes a very consistent product (reds excluded) for a low price that sounds pretty decent. And nylguts Outlast most strings.

Thread Information