Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: In defence of Aquila Nylgut!

Quote Originally Posted by babaluke View Post
    Alex from SUS did a good review here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOekJnMGoSI
    Thanks for that lead, I found it very helpful. As I recall he does another Video of other string types too.

I’ve mixed experience of the Nyglut Aquila’s but do still use them. Looking back on the forum they were recommended for Dolphins and I have one of those as a beater. Using that Dolphin down at the Uke Club I couldn’t hear myself that well over the players around me so I fitted some standard Blacklines, to my ears the Blacklines were louder and at least as nice to hear. George Elmes has done a video of loads of different strings, IIRC he started with Aquila played professionally with some others and has returned to Aquila, so there might be a guide there. George will have his own particular logic which might, or might not, be good for us too.

Personally I think of Aquilas as really useful rather than the best, something reliable to fit and at a reasonable cost whilst hoping to find an even better string for some particular Uke - YMMV.
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 10-22-2018 at 10:47 PM.

There's another really good video of Kalei playing one Pono tenor with a load of different string sets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsxmo63MW4E

If I sit and listen closely (without watching) I can pick out some of the string set changes. Some. I think feel and response is a huge part of strings, probably more so than sound. I like the feel of nylon strings because they're generally higher gauge and you can dig into them a bit more. Flourocarbons do seem to have better sustain in the higher positions (for me, anyway) which I prefer. Have a mixture of strings on my ukes, including one uke I buy single strings for to get the feel and response I'm looking for. Aquila are on some of my ukes.

I have no complaints about Aquila strings. Maybe because they seem to come standard on almost every uke made, people assume they can do better. As Ukecaster said, "Different strokes..."
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!

Definitely YMMV with strings. Just as different tone woods have different qualities, matching strings with ukes can make a world of difference. My Firefly came with Super Nylguts, and I can't imagine it sounding right with any other string. I use FCs on almost everything else. I prefer the brighter sound, even though you can lose some depth.

Exceptions: The Aquila Sugars are on my cedar-topped Ohana (the primary uke I take to jams), and it adds clarity and punch to a uke that's already pretty loud. I also put the Aquila/Martin carbon strings on my beater Makala, and it has a cleaner and richer sound than some much more expensive instruments I've owned.

Yep, different strokes.
    Martin C1K Famous by Kiwaya FS-1 <yippee!!> Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top) Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany soprano <yay!!> Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> Flea koa soprano Lanikai LU22CFM laminate flame maple concert Islander MAT-4 spalted maple tenor Makala MK-CE concert Woodrow "Steelers" soprano <eyeroll>

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

I think Aquilas are good strings and I appreciate all the work Mimmo does in developing new products.

Sometimes it seems to me that with Aquilas I hear more of the string in the sound, while with fluorocarbons I hear more of the wood. (not sure any better way to articulate that or if it makes any sense)

Quote Originally Posted by EDW View Post

I think Aquilas are good strings and I appreciate all the work Mimmo does in developing new products.
    I like Aquilas, every time I play my wife's Kala cedar top I say these sound great.
    I still prefer FC, but my tastes are still green and my ear has improved of the year or so that I have been playing ukulele.
    Ask me again in a couple years.
    Playing my Magic Fluke and grinning like a fool!

One of my tenors always sounds comparatively "thin" with fluorocarbon on the 2nd course, which I tune to D, so I'll have to see if Nylgut may work as an alternative there. I'm quite used to mixing strings (not only because I tune in fifths, but because we picky violists don't usually like to use whole sets of the same type of string).

bratsche
    A bunch of stringed instruments tuned in fifths. And a bunch of cats!

"There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!

Nylguts are my string of choice as well. I've tried flourocarbons but never really liked them on the instruments I have.

This is just my experience.

To me the 'Aquila New Nylgut' -strings sound to me with having more open string volume than say Martin M600 fluorocarbon strings.

I like Martin strings more because they have more sustain on the fretted notes and give better intonation.

Hendulele said:- "The Aquila Sugars are on my cedar-topped Ohana (the primary uke I take to jams), and it adds clarity and punch to a uke that's already pretty loud."

Reading this, I realised that my own Ohana SK50MG (cedar top) still wears the original Nylguts that were fitted when it was new - ten years ago! They still sound good, but it's time for a change.

I've ordered some Aquila Sugars for it and will report back, once they are fitted and settled in.

John Colter

Thread Information