Fred Shields Backpacker arrived today!

TobyDog

Reaction score
My concert all mahogany backpacker uke, handmade by Mr. Shields arrived today. IT IS BEAUTIFUL. My photos don't do it justice. His craftsmanship is amazing.

I'm going to put my favorite strings on it, and see if I can figure out how to do a video and then post it. Until then, take my word for it... it sounds really good. Here are some still shots.

backbacker_front.jpgback.jpgheadstock.jpgbackpacker_sidehole.jpg

Wonderful news! Fred’s ukes are so special! Wishing you many years of happy playing. :D

Amazing! Is it one of a kind?
Be very careful that it isn't mistaken for a canoe paddle! LOL
Congratulations!

Congratulations they are so unique looking, and welcome to the Fred Shields Family

Congratulations. Every Fred Shields ukulele I have had the honor to see photos of look so nicely made. Yours is no exception. Enjoy. :drool::music:

Beautiful Backpacker Tobydog! Does anybody have contact info for Fred?

Mitch

Boom! Great Uke!! I spoke with Fred about making modifications to the backpacker and we’ve come up with something really special. He’s been sending me pictures along the way, so I’ll be crafting a build thread soon. He’s almost done with it! And I even have a friend who has offered to bring it back to me since our country has no mail system!

Too cool to resist. But I'll have to wait until after the holidays.

I just bought a new Mike Pereira tenor. Merry Christmas to me, Merry Christmas to meeeeeeeee!

Or was it "Happy Birthday?" Either way, a gift to myself. Because I was such a good boy... :rolleyes:

Nice uke. Is it soprano or concert scale? What are the dimensions & how does it sound? Loud enough? It looks like it might be a perfect uke for me to take kayaking. Easy to fit inside my sea kayak. How much did it cost?

Nice uke. Is it soprano or concert scale? What are the dimensions & how does it sound? Loud enough? It looks like it might be a perfect uke for me to take kayaking. Easy to fit inside my sea kayak. How much did it cost?

It's a concert size. I think it's too nice to go into a kayak - I'd use an Outdoor Ukulele on the water.

Top Bottom