Spalted maple video

Timbuck

Reaction score
This guy is an amateur sawyer..." let's see if I can wreck my band further by going throught that nail again. YouTubers will love it." The professionals are found doing real work at Linda's Sawmill Cinema. Check it out.

Interesting video, but I too cringed when he was cutting through the metal. I kept thinking he must be very wealthy to trash blades like that... By the way, what he was cutting through was old barbed wire. You can plainly see the wire barb in one slab coming through. Somebody long ago used the tree as a post on a farm. I don't care how much "character" the imbedded metal had, I would have cut it out to save the blade.

Another indication of how ill educated this guy is. Anyone can see its a barbed wire head and not a staple... And yet, he has STATUS in his community because of his authenticity revealed in stupid stunts like this. When pre milling non plantation logs the experienced sawyer will run a metal detector, preferably deep penetrating, over the surface to be milled. Those portable mill bands are very expensive....

Pretty insulting stuff guys. Hope this fellow does not see your comments. I've spent many hundreds of hours pulling slabs off of sawmills, and seen many metal laden yard trees along the way. His approach is right on. Blades are cheap actually and most sawyers have sharpeners and teeth setters.Good size logs are not easy to come by. He knew exactly what he was after, and the consequences. You did not see him getting bummed out and there was no reason to be. He was not looking for the perfect wood that builders seem to think they need. I respect his admirable approach to appreciating the wood.

Pete you are being extremely judgmental, it is up to him what he gives priority to. The saw blade he damaged a bit is less than $100 based on internet search.

I remember watching this guy design and build his mill from scratch with basic hand tools and a little stick welder. I've had a hand in building and repairing a few logging machines and sawmills. I cannot begin to express how maddening it can be to get even a factory built mill to cut straight. This guy's accomplishment is amazing!

In my experience, wide slabs will add a premium to otherwise normal timber. So much so that often times it's a real struggle to decide how to proceed with a very valuable log. You guys would weep if you knew how many highly figured koa uke sets are locked into table tops around the world. Sometimes it's worth risking a blade to get those wide slabs.

I do wish Matt would get a forklift though. An old beater wouldn't cost any more than a few of those slabs. Eventually if he keeps moving logs like that he will get hurt. Probably the most dangerous part of his whole setup is that winch cable. And there's no status amongst sawyers... We are all down in the mud together.

I don't think I am being harsh - he, like a lot of highly intelligent Americans does what highly intelligent Americans do: think hard, work it out and go ahead. You guys are the best at this and in the absence of an apprenticeship system, are pretty much constrained to learn skills this way. 11/10 to you. It's how I have done it here in the UK! I had no-one to teatime how to make ukulele and under the mentorship of BobGleason somehow made it to the start line pretty fast. Thanks Bob!

It is clear however, that he has had absolutely no training an arboriculture and knows very little timber technology. That aside, my observation was accurate, namely, "How for the purposes of greater viewer likes and hits should I now proceed? I know; I've partially wrecked my blade. I can call that a 'fail'. Videos with there concept of 'fail' always do well. I'll simply make another cut, don't care how poor or difficult it might be and that will totally trash the blade and they can see, I'm not afraid to trash my blades! and then I can have an 'epic fail and more hits. And more hits means more revenue..."

Judgemental - no. Just pointing out how cynical and perhaps dumb that second cut was and how ill-informed he is in that he cannot recognise the iconic shape of a piece of barbed wire - the stuff epic Western movies, American culture if you will was made of!

In the UK a spade is a spade. Matt Cremona is a YouTube vlogger and part of a growing community that is seeking patronage just so you can watch therm do stuff like this. My daughter, 5' tall and mother of 5 kids went out and bought a 42"chainsaw and an Alaskan mill and converted a felled spruce on her property. Her husband's a Canadian dentist... They just watched a few YouTUbe videos and went ahead. So I'm a fan of gungho, haveago woodwork. Just not silly gungho, haveago woodwork!

Last edited:
As a layperson, I found the video very interesting and informative.

I did not recognize that inclusion as barbed wire either. I don't normally see cross-sections of barbed wire.

It's a good thing he tried to wreck his equipment... had he not I would surely have clicked away and gone to watch something more engaging.

Top Bottom