Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eight string ukulele

Thank you. I think you're right. I need to try a few out first. I found a music center about ten miles from where I live but I have credit with Sweetwater so that's where I need to shop. I need to stick with a narrow neck.

What puzzles me is why eight strings? Surely using eight rather than four is going to put additional load on hands that are already suffering and won’t instruments designed for eight strings be a built a bit heavier than those with four strings. I don’t doubt that the OP will have her reasons but sharing them might allow helpful comments.
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 10-20-2018 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ladypriest View Post
    The reason I mentioned a tenor ukulele is because I told someone who was apparently well informed on ukulele's that my voice was either alto, or lower and he said I should buy a tenor.
    A few things to add:

1) whoever told you to buy a tenor due to vocal range doesn’t know what they are talking about. Soprano, concert, and tenor ukuleles are all generally tuned the same (some have a low G), and while baritone is lower (DGBE) a chord is still a chord...so your vocal range has zero impact on what instrument to buy. If anything, be concerned about what key you are singing in.

2) A properly set up eight string ukulele is no harder to play than a four string. Picking individual notes due to the double courses of strings is harder, as is isolating strings for tuning. That said, if you have any ukulele that hasn’t been set up (at least to average tolerances), it is going to be more difficult to play regardless of the number of strings.

3) Most of us use too much tension as we play...the ukulele really needs a minimum of effort to cleanly play a fretted note. My guess is that you could experiment on any ukulele and see how lightly you could press and still get a clean sound. You might be surprised—and relatively pain free.
    Playing ukulele since January 2016.

Have you participated in the thread, "How the Ukulele Found You?" If not, please consider adding your story--they are just fun to read.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...lele-found-you

Thank you for your reply. I'm trying to share as much as I can about myself. Because of all these wonderful replies I did in fact, make note that I'll try different ukes with less strings so I apologize if I wasn't forthcoming enough. I played a twelve string guitar for many years and I was hoping I didn't have to give that up completely. That is why I was thinking I might be able to continue to capture my music with an eight string uke. Thank you again for taking the time to respond.

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I agree about the a properly set up eight string uke as far as difficulty playing. My arthritis does not prevent me from picking. I think I have my choices narrowed down and your post has been extremely helpful. Thank you again. I really appreciate your input.

Of all the common uke sizes (soprano, concert, tenor, bari), tenors have the highest string tension. Sopranos and baris are pretty low. If the bari size still works with your arthritis, that might be your best option. But even a tenor uke will have less string tension than a standard steel-string guitar, so it might work for you if the smaller body size is a benefit. Like other have aid, go to a store and try a bunch out.

- FiL

Asst. Organizer, New Jersey Uke Fest

If it's any help, I have just recently bought a parlour guitar. It has a narrower neck width at the nut and also a shorter scale, both of which factors make it easier to play than a standard size guitar. Generally speaking, the neck width at the nut is less on a uke than it is on any guitar; although, I did have a guitalele once and that was actually as wide or wider at the nut than a guitar. I find the baritone size uke the most comfortable to play and I think you would probably find it the most familiar as you are coming from a guitar background.
    Walnut Flea Soprano, Eleuke Peanut, Rob Collins Soprano, Motu, Ukubidon, Gretsch Camp Ukulele, Tenor "Style Manouche", Hora mahogany Baritone, Roger Terry baritone, Sylvain Enjoubaut concert, Outdoor Ukulele (tenor), Ohana Vita, Ohana KA-6 (6-string tenor), DoudsandJo electro-acoustic tenor.

I have a baritone that I enjoy very much, but I’m mostly a fingerpicker and don’t strum much. I think the chords for it would be close to guitar chords. It’s size might bother your arthritis though. I have it in my neck, and I have trouble looking at my fretting hand sometimes.

The uke’s size shouldn’t have anything to do with your voice’s pitch. All ya gotta do is play in the proper key.

I have a tenor 8 string, but I don’t play it much. As I said before, I mostly fingerpick and don’t care to do it on the 8 string. I’m also not crazy about tenors (or sopranos). I’m a concert man. The’re just the right size for me.

If I were you, I would certainly go somewhere and try some ukes as the others have suggested.
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBD - Fingerpick
    Gold Tone tenor banjolele - Lo F BbDF Fingerpick

Kala tenor eight string - gGcCEEAA Strum
    Luna "Peace" concert - Hi-F BbDG Strum
    Flea "Red" concert - Hi-G CEA Strum

Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B Strum

Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano (Dad's Day gift) - Wallhanger
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift - Wallhanger
    God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

If you are just starting with the uke from guitar, you might want to go with a baritone as the tuning is similar to a guitar so you don't have to learn so many new chords.

With the GCEA tuned ukes, I would not get an 8 string. It gives a bigger sound but more hassle to tune and change strings. Does it take more effort to play? I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtoolie View Post
    With the GCEA tuned ukes, I would not get an 8 string. It gives a bigger sound but more hassle to tune and change strings. Does it take more effort to play? I don't know.
    As the owner of an 8 string, that's largely untrue.

They are no more difficult to play than a 4 string.

They are not particularly difficult to tune. Yes it takes a little longer but o more difficult. Same with changing strings.

It does give a bigger sound but the pairs of strings also give a fuller sound. I actually prefer mine tuned with just the G strings in octaves, though I currently have mine tune DGBE
    Geoff Walker

I have several ukuleles in various sizes and am not planning on getting any more...

at least, not yet.

I also play some blowy things and a squeezy thing

Internet:
    You Tube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TootlinGeoff
    Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/tootlingeoff

Thread Information