Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cockroached White Label Kamaka

Default Cockroached White Label Kamaka

2DFBC4E9-678F-41C0-BB39-812004A15495.jpg1BA19D18-7D93-4EB1-ADF0-4EABE112BCB7.jpg09A1E8BA-A10A-4BDD-ACD0-C41B5A1000E8.jpg09A1E8BA-A10A-4BDD-ACD0-C41B5A1000E8.jpg647629F3-75A3-4B41-AA1F-0E2238DFB3EE.jpg

I have been gifted a vintage Standard by a cottage neighbour in Quebec
    who grew up in Kaneohe Hawaii.
    She and her mother purchased it in 1976 for $70 as present for her brother later killed on his motorcycle.
    As you can see, the action is a tad high and needs adjustment. The back has also separated on one side.
    It was carelessly stored for decades in Hawaii and it appears that the local flavour of cockroach or similar has ingested a good portion of the label. The owner also scratched his name on it.
    Is it possible to get a replacement White Label and if so is it a wise move to replace.
    I have read that Kamaka sometimes place their current label on restorations they do. (I’m too impatient to send away anyway)
    I am inclined to keep as is for sentimental reasons but would appreciate input on my options.
    Marquesian (Tahiatian) Ukulele by Ah-Sha Venance, Ua Huka
    Kala Soprano
    OHana CK-28 Concert
    Driftwood Cedar/Eucalyptus Concert by Steve Doreen, Esquimalt BC (now Lone Tree Guitars)
    Islander Soprano
    Kanile’a K1-T SF Tenor
    Makala Waterman
    Beaver Creek Tiger Tenor
    Kamaka HF-1 Standard

If you plan to sell or keep and play, you'll need to repair the bridge and reglue the side, of course. That's probably not major $$$ if you have it done professionally.

As for the label and the "etching," up to you. If you can stand to look at it, you'll have a fantastic uke for whatever it costs to reattach the bridge.

If you don't want to go to the expense of fixing, PM me and I'll make you an offer.
    Martin C1K • Famous by Kiwaya FS-1 <yippee!!> • Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top) • Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany soprano <yay!!> • Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> • Flea koa soprano • Lanikai LU22CFM laminate flame maple concert • Islander MAT-4 spalted maple tenor • Makala MK-CE concert • Woodrow "Steelers" soprano <eyeroll>

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

Yes, I'd have a local luthier fix it up for you, they are nice ukes, and would probably be worth about $250-350 if all fixed up. Reattaching the bridge and fixing the crack shouldn't cost more than $100, I'd think.
    John

Totally worth fixing the two issues IMHO. And to me with the family history involved.....Priceless.
    Congratulations on inheriting such a fabulous family heirloom.
    Have a great weekend.

I am having it repaired by Steve Doreen of Lone Tree Guitars here on the Island who does beautiful work.

I never considered selling it, especially as I owe the lad’s mother a video of it being played as a condition of gift.

I intend to keep it as is with Worth Clear high Gs if I can find them but I would like to have an original White Label label in good shape if available. Would be good to have if I ever do want to sell.

Too bad there arnt ukulele wrecking yards
    Kala Soprano
    OHana CK-28 Concert
    Driftwood Cedar/Eucalyptus Concert by Steve Doreen, Esquimalt BC (now Lone Tree Guitars)
    Islander Soprano
    Kanile’a K1-T SF Tenor
    Makala Waterman
    Beaver Creek Tiger Tenor
    Kamaka HF-1 Standard

I agree with Bill. It's one of the badges of life the uke went thru. Ask Steve's opinion. It's going to sound nice.

There is enough of the existing label to give the uke appropriate gravitas.

Since you will have to let a buyer know it was repaired anyway, I doubt it will reduce resell value appreciably except for a collector.

You're going to enjoy it. Just checking ...
    Martin C1K • Famous by Kiwaya FS-1 <yippee!!> • Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top) • Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany soprano <yay!!> • Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> • Flea koa soprano • Lanikai LU22CFM laminate flame maple concert • Islander MAT-4 spalted maple tenor • Makala MK-CE concert • Woodrow "Steelers" soprano <eyeroll>

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

I would keep the label as is. It's a testament to its life and previous owner and would make me more inclined to buy it, not less. I love old ukes and violins that show their history. If you are keeping it yourself, if you really can't stand looking at it that way and won't play it because of that, check into replacing.
    Tiny Tenor spruce/mahogany
    Kiwaya KTC-2 mahogany concert
    Flight Travel soprano

[QUOTE=Ziret;2104935]I would keep the label as is. It's a testament to its life and previous owner and would make me more inclined to buy it, not less. I love old ukes and violins that show their history. If you are keeping it yourself, if you really can't stand looking at it that way and won't play it because of that, check into replacing.[/

Great point. I agree. The label is testament to the instruments provenance and on relection will remain “as is”.

Im even tempted to have the luthier restring with what I presume are the original black nylons before I try Worths or Martin 600s on it to hear the original sound and tone.

For playability I prefer tenors and this is not a uke I would have purchased for myself but now that I will shortly have what is considered a benchmark standard of the genre, I'm as excited as a kid on Christmas eve.
    Kala Soprano
    OHana CK-28 Concert
    Islander Soprano
    Kanile’a K1-T SF Tenor
    Makala Waterman
    Beaver Creek Tiger Tenor
    Kamaka HF-1 Standard

Thread Information