Cockroached White Label Kamaka

Teej

Reaction score
2DFBC4E9-678F-41C0-BB39-812004A15495.jpg1BA19D18-7D93-4EB1-ADF0-4EABE112BCB7.jpg09A1E8BA-A10A-4BDD-ACD0-C41B5A1000E8.jpg09A1E8BA-A10A-4BDD-ACD0-C41B5A1000E8.jpg647629F3-75A3-4B41-AA1F-0E2238DFB3EE.jpg

I have been gifted a vintage Standard by a cottage neighbour in Quebec
who grew up in Kaneohe Hawaii.
She and her mother purchased it in 1976 for $70 as present for her brother later killed on his motorcycle.
As you can see, the action is a tad high and needs adjustment. The back has also separated on one side.
It was carelessly stored for decades in Hawaii and it appears that the local flavour of cockroach or similar has ingested a good portion of the label. The owner also scratched his name on it.
Is it possible to get a replacement White Label and if so is it a wise move to replace.
I have read that Kamaka sometimes place their current label on restorations they do. (I’m too impatient to send away anyway)
I am inclined to keep as is for sentimental reasons but would appreciate input on my options.

If you plan to sell or keep and play, you'll need to repair the bridge and reglue the side, of course. That's probably not major $$$ if you have it done professionally.

As for the label and the "etching," up to you. If you can stand to look at it, you'll have a fantastic uke for whatever it costs to reattach the bridge.

If you don't want to go to the expense of fixing, PM me and I'll make you an offer.

Totally worth fixing the two issues IMHO. And to me with the family history involved.....Priceless. :2cents:
Congratulations on inheriting such a fabulous family heirloom.
Have a great weekend.

I am having it repaired by Steve Doreen of Lone Tree Guitars here on the Island who does beautiful work.

I never considered selling it, especially as I owe the lad’s mother a video of it being played as a condition of gift.

I intend to keep it as is with Worth Clear high Gs if I can find them but I would like to have an original White Label label in good shape if available. Would be good to have if I ever do want to sell.

Too bad there arnt ukulele wrecking yards

There is enough of the existing label to give the uke appropriate gravitas.

Since you will have to let a buyer know it was repaired anyway, I doubt it will reduce resell value appreciably except for a collector.

I would keep the label as is. It's a testament to its life and previous owner and would make me more inclined to buy it, not less. I love old ukes and violins that show their history. If you are keeping it yourself, if you really can't stand looking at it that way and won't play it because of that, check into replacing.

I would keep the label as is. It's a testament to its life and previous owner and would make me more inclined to buy it, not less. I love old ukes and violins that show their history. If you are keeping it yourself, if you really can't stand looking at it that way and won't play it because of that, check into replacing.[/

Great point. I agree. The label is testament to the instruments provenance and on relection will remain “as is”.

Im even tempted to have the luthier restring with what I presume are the original black nylons before I try Worths or Martin 600s on it to hear the original sound and tone.

For playability I prefer tenors and this is not a uke I would have purchased for myself but now that I will shortly have what is considered a benchmark standard of the genre, I'm as excited as a kid on Christmas eve.

A new label might make people think it was a counterfeit. That was an issue for Kamaka then.

I'd surely send it to Kamaka to be appropriately restored. Probably cost next to nothing.

1FAFD833-C3F2-4895-A34F-12398950191C.jpg

I had the Kamaka Standard repaired by Steve Doreen who made some interesting observations in the process.

The instrument is 100% Koa, including fretboard and braces:

A thin solid strip is used instead of a kerfed one:

There is no fan bracing, only ladder:

There is no longitudinal brace from the bridge plate to the soundhole; and

The logo is a decal, not an inlay.

The wood had dried out over time and a crack in the soundboard along the seam was repaired.

Steve expressed mild concern that the lack of any bracing between bridge and soundhole might cause the top to deform under the increased tension of modern fluorocarbon strings like the Martin M600s mounted. He advised monitoring. A week after repair, the soundboard did separate near the rear block but a quick shot of CA sufficed.

The sound is AMAZING. What a voice for a small instrument. In the club jam sessions, it rang out clear and loud prompting others to ask what I was playing. The downside is that my mistakes are no longer lost in the din.

I am thrilled to own this “Benchmark” of the genre. This to me is what a uke should sound like. Everything else is a variant.

That is great that you had it repaired and found out so much more about the build. You shuld have a great time playing such a lovely instrument.

I love stories like this.
I feel like any instrument that has been played well has a soul.
They should be preserved to whatever extent is practical.
Congrats on your "new" Kamaka!

It's always a tough call, I've learned, deciding how much to repair an old uke. Normal wear and tear should generally be left as is. That label, though, doesn't really enhance the appearance or the value of the uke.

I used to be impatient, wanting something bought or repaired NOW! I've learned that after the purchase or repair, you stuck with whatever decision I made - cheaper model or a less than perfect repair. Now I take my time. I wait for the item I want to become available, and I do or buy the best repair possible.

This is not a cheap laminate from a yard sale. A similar uke would cost a lot more than $70 today, so I would contact Kamaka and ask them about doing the repairs. You can be sure they will make the ukulele right. A local luthier might also make it right - maybe.

I've been fortunate to have visited Hawaii four times. On my last visit, on the night before I was leaving, I went into the kitchen and saw two LARGE cockroaches dash under the burners of the stove. If that had happened on the first night of my stay, it would have been an uncomfortable two weeks. In addition to being large, their cockroaches can fly. :)

There is enough of the existing label to give the uke appropriate gravitas.

Since you will have to let a buyer know it was repaired anyway, I doubt it will reduce resell value appreciably except for a collector.

I'm not a collector, but that label would slow me down. Given the choice, I'd prefer a label that was intact or a lower price. Then I would attempt to get a new label from Kamaka.

You mentioned putting Martin strings on. They wouldn't fit the slots of my K. White label so went Kamaka strings. I could have widened the slots a bit but didn't. As far as the label, leave it as is. I doubt Kamaka would put a new white label on.

For myself, I'd rather have the old worn label than a new one.

Top Bottom