Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clogged up sanding belt magic

Default Clogged up sanding belt magic

while sanding down some nasty spruce pine in my new Jet 16-32 I ended up with my sanding belt absolutely clogged up the crepe rubber cleaning stick was useless and the resin in the pinewood was really gumming up the belt and I thought that it was a throw away job... Just on a whim ! I did a quick experiment with some old Acetone that I had left over from a laquer removiing job I did last year ...I rolled up the belt, placed it into a PVC fruit jar..poured in the acetone just enough to soak the belt and shook it about for about 1 minute...then I removed it from the jar and washed it in the kitchen sink under the hot water tap and to my amazement the resin and sawdust had turned to a sludge that just washed off with the warm water...It's now hanging up to dry... here are some pic's I took at the time.
    Clogged up belt
    IMG_1896.jpg
    In the Acetone
    IMG_1900.jpg
    15 Minutes later
    IMG_1902.jpg
    Last edited by Timbuck; 10-19-2018 at 09:32 AM.
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

Crikey, that's an impressive result!

John Colter.

I wonder if that would work on rosewood resin.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb2 View Post
    I wonder if that would work on rosewood resin.
    There's one way to find out
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

WOW. I have a bunch of belts I've been saving for just this moment. Really, I never thought i'd use them again but I'm gonna try this
    My Real name is Terry Harris

Looks impressive but I can't help remembering a tip from the flooring guy my brother now works with.

Use sandpaper like someone else is paying for it.

Of course he was doing my floor at the time so I guess I was paying for it.

Good advise. I have tried all the tricks but the one that works the best is to just put a new one on. Some woods are just nasty to sand and I don't use them anymore. After all it is just sandpaper. Like lunch...you get rid of it in a few days.

After hanging up all night drying it's now back on the machine almost as good as new.
    IMG_1908 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/150702140@N02/
    Last edited by Timbuck; 10-19-2018 at 11:37 PM.

Looks good!

I gt daily tips from Family Handyman magazine. One recent tip suggested using the heel/sole of an old sneaker/trainer to clean clogged sandpaper. With the machine running, hold the heel against the sandpaper. I've never tried it, and it seems like it would make the situation worst, but there it it. It was posted on the Internet, so it must be true.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    Looks good!

I gt daily tips from Family Handyman magazine. One recent tip suggested using the heel/sole of an old sneaker/trainer to clean clogged sandpaper. With the machine running, hold the heel against the sandpaper. I've never tried it, and it seems like it would make the situation worst, but there it it. It was posted on the Internet, so it must be true.
    the rubber thingies are fine they work on lightly clogged sawdust belts (I have used the black rubber bushes that come off truck suspensions that have broken off and fall in the gutter) but they don't work on badly clogged ones where the resin in the wood gums up everything and makes burn marks on the workpiece.

Thread Information