Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Clogged up sanding belt magic

  1. #11
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    342

    Default

    Oven cleaner does a number on the resin also.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Kapolei, Hawaii
    Posts
    1,957

    Default

    Ken, if that is a new machine, I’d wonder why you have so much dust on various areas I’d the sander. I never have to clean dust off the sander, and I have a Performax. Once I saw that baffle inside the cover of the Jet, I thought of fabricating one for mine. Kinda having 2nd thoughts after seeing your sandpaper.

    Last time I remember burning sandpaper like that is when I ran vacuum off a shop vac. Once I installed 6” dust collection dropped to 4” for the machines, no real issues with burning paper. But, I also run a cleaner across the sandpaper every session.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Stockton on Tees..North East UK.
    Posts
    4,703

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kekani View Post
    Ken, if that is a new machine, I’d wonder why you have so much dust on various areas I’d the sander. I never have to clean dust off the sander, and I have a Performax. Once I saw that baffle inside the cover of the Jet, I thought of fabricating one for mine. Kinda having 2nd thoughts after seeing your sandpaper.

    Last time I remember burning sandpaper like that is when I ran vacuum off a shop vac. Once I installed 6” dust collection dropped to 4” for the machines, no real issues with burning paper. But, I also run a cleaner across the sandpaper every session.
    This new sander is fitted with a device known as "Sand-smart" when the load is too great, it automatically slows down the feed belt and stops any burning...May be that was the problem and I didn't feed it through fast enough to start with thus melting the resin and gumming up the grit, causing it to slow down even more as the going got harder for it..There was no burning by the way I think the pine wood was the main problem co's when I sliced it through on the bandsaw the saw dust was sticking to the wood behind the blade instead of being sucked away by the cyclone extractor. (sticky wood )
    Last edited by Timbuck; 10-21-2018 at 01:07 AM.
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

    If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Kapolei, Hawaii
    Posts
    1,957

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Timbuck View Post
    This new sander is fitted with a device known as "Sand-smart" when the load is too great, it automatically slows down the feed belt and stops any burning...May be that was the problem and I didn't feed it through fast enough to start with thus melting the resin and gumming up the grit, causing it to slow down even more as the going got harder for it..There was no burning by the way I think the pine wood was the main problem co's when I sliced it through on the bandsaw the saw dust was sticking to the wood behind the blade instead of being sucked away by the cyclone extractor. (sticky wood )
    Ahh, gumming, not burning. Yeah, Jet definitely made some upgrades from my model. I’ve found running full speed and taking lighter passes (1/8 turns), works for 90% of what I do. Takes longer, but never as long as doing it by hand.

    Do you think that baffle in the cover makes a difference? Right now, I see dust coming out from the feed side, and getting pulled right back in, so maybe I shouldn’t fix what isn’t broken?

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Stockton on Tees..North East UK.
    Posts
    4,703

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kekani View Post
    Ahh, gumming, not burning. Yeah, Jet definitely made some upgrades from my model. I’ve found running full speed and taking lighter passes (1/8 turns), works for 90% of what I do. Takes longer, but never as long as doing it by hand.

    Do you think that baffle in the cover makes a difference? Right now, I see dust coming out from the feed side, and getting pulled right back in, so maybe I shouldn’t fix what isn’t broken?
    The injection moulded plastic cover on this model is pretty thin material ..I think that the baffle design is mostly to make it more sturdy .. I would have prefered a die cast aluminium cover like on some of the earlier designs and on some of the more expensive sanders.

    Sir Humphry made a bit of a mess of naming this new element, at first spelling it alumium (this was in 1807) then changing it to aluminum, and finally settling on aluminium in 1812.
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

    If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Stockton on Tees..North East UK.
    Posts
    4,703

    Default

    Following my experiences with the clogged up belt, now cleaned..I managed to get quite a bit of thickness sanding work done with it before it started to struggle again, this was the belt that was supplied with the machine and it wasn't too bad and it was time for replacement.... So I did a bit of research and decided to try out the "Abranet Max" mesh abrasive, so I bought an 80G 76 mm X 25 M roll....From the reviews I read, I found that it had a tendancy to stretch a bit in the initial use..It arrived today and I gave it a try out, I thicknessed 24 cuban sides down from 4mm to 1.7mm in about 6 passes...I stopped the machine and re-tightened the belt a couple of times during the first 3 passes and then afterwards it remained stable till the end of the job (a bit like breaking in some new nylon strings ) so all in all I'm pretty happy with it
    mesh roll.jpg
    Last edited by Timbuck; 10-30-2018 at 06:05 AM.
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

    If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    342

    Default

    Lemon scented oven cleaner.





Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •