Martin T1-K

Photodan

Reaction score
I purchased a Martin T1-K tenor Koa uke a couple of months ago and love it. Terrific tone, I decided to stick with the Martin strings that it came with and swapped out an Aquila Red low g string and so far really like it. It needed (in my opinion) to have the action lowered a bit and now it is perfect. I wish there were more shops around that carried Martin ukes, I had to order on Musician's Friend and of course, it didn't come set up like one from HMS, Uke Republic or Mim's. The Koa on mine is very nice looking with some great stripe and I was hoping for this because many I have seen in photos didn't really stand out. If anyone else has one of these, chime in and tell us what you think too.

Attachments

• IMG_1764.jpg
    IMG_1764.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_1765.jpg
    IMG_1765.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_1766.jpg
    IMG_1766.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 79
Wow, really nice koa on your T1K! Is just me or is Martin using a better grade of koa lately?

Wow, really nice koa on your T1K! Is just me or is Martin using a better grade of koa lately?

K, I was a little surprised at the appearance after seeing a few photos online, including the ones on the sites that were selling the uke. How do you like yours? I just have two ukes right now but I really like both of them - this one and a Pono concert sized taropatch (8-string). That one is awesome too.

K, I was a little surprised at the appearance after seeing a few photos online, including the ones on the sites that were selling the uke. How do you like yours? I just have two ukes right now but I really like both of them - this one and a Pono concert sized taropatch (8-string). That one is awesome too.

Appearance wise, mine has a little bit of stripe but nothing like yours. Sound wise, I'm very happy. I got it used and it doesn't have Martin strings on it. I'll have to ask the previous owner what they are.

Beautiful T1-K Martin. Is it Hawaiian Koa or Acacia? (Which is a close relative of koa and many mfgs sometimes call it "koa"?) I only ask because I see a lot more bold striping in ukes built of acacia. And some of it comes from Central and South Americas. Both are wonderful woods.

Gorgeous T1-K. My C1-K was B-stock. It has a couple of swirls in the grain. Doesn't affect the play, which is delightful, but it's not as eye-popping as yours, that's for sure!

Beautiful T1-K Martin. Is it Hawaiian Koa or Acacia? (Which is a close relative of koa and many mfgs sometimes call it "koa"?) I only ask because I see a lot more bold striping in ukes built of acacia. And some of it comes from Central and South Americas. Both are wonderful woods.

I'm pretty sure it is Hawaiian koa, it is advertised that way by Martin and looks very different from my acacia uke.

Gorgeous T1-K. My C1-K was B-stock. It has a couple of swirls in the grain. Doesn't affect the play, which is delightful, but it's not as eye-popping as yours, that's for sure!

I know, I was pleasantly surprised because the photos I had seen beforehand of several samples were attractive enough but not spectacular though the reviews I read were very complementary of the tone. That is why I bought it but the nice appearance was a bonus.

Beautiful Uke. I have a C1K and love it (bought used for a good price)... I was itching to get another Martin Uke... the IZ uke is my dream Uke but out of my price range. The T1K is affordable. I have a $250 gift card at our local music shop that carries Martin Ukes..... maybe bite the bullet at Christmas time to get the T1K after seeing yours :)

I have a T1K as well. It is my (current) favorite uke, and i like it with the Martin strings. The biggest downside to the 1K series is the variability in appearance. The look varies wildly from uke to uke, and sometimes the top, sides, and back are very mismatched. So I would never buy one sight unseen. Luckily we have several good music stores around here that carry them, so I was able to try and buy locally.

Demick, I did find one local shop after the fact that could order one for me but I still wouldn't have any control over it. I got lucky on the looks.

I like my T1K, the more I play it. It looks good but not spectacular. No choice as bought 2nd hand.

Biggest down is the soft finish which is easily marked with a fingernail and is wearing away above and below the strings where I play. Oh well, some people pay extra for 'road worn' guitars. And have you seen Willie Nelson's Martin guitar with the hole in it?

Top Bottom