SOTU 349: HALLOWEEN SONGS - ddanner

Dennis asked if I had any other old autumn-themed originals. So here's a couple. This is one of the oldest originals I haven't thrown out, it's an instrumental from 1979 or 1980 called "Xanthophyll Dreams". Xanthophyll is the yellow pigment that some leaves get in autumn.

In 2011, we had a snow and ice storm before Halloween that caused a lot of havoc.

Code:
Fm7                Fm6
Every few minutes I hear somewhere nearby
Tree limbs crack with explosive sound
The trees still have their leaves and the weight is so grievous
Just a little wet snow brings them down

Csus  C            Am6
It won't be Halloween for a couple of evenings
           Gm                    F
But we're getting some inches of snow
          Fm7                          Fm6
And it's leaving its mark  ̶  all the houses go dark
As the transformer down the street blows

It sounds like a gunfight outside in the cold night
Winter steps in and makes the first move
In the darkness we grope and we hope against hope
The next branch doesn't take out the roof

Find the flashlight and get thick blankets for the bed
We sit in the cold house and freeze
And we can't drive away to someplace we could stay
'Cause the streets are blocked by fallen trees

I Will throw in one more this week.

I reckon this will go well with a halloween conktail party or something like that.

Zombie Zoo - Tom Petty cover

It's not often that I'm able to contribute something to a SOU. Usually I feel that for me a week is not long enough to decide for an (often) new song, to learn it properly and to make a recording that I'm satisfied with.

But this week I have a song I've been playing for some time. I'm actually surprised that no-one came up with it yet. I suppose Tom Petty is much more popular in the USA than here in Germany. Anyway, I grab the opportunity and have for you the last song from his first solo album, Full Moon Fever (1989). I think "Zombie Zoo" makes for a nice Halloween song, right?

Oh, and the uke is actually a taropatch, built by German luthier Claus Mohri (www.cmohri.de).

Last edited:
Here's a fun little trad song that kids will enjoy! Played on my brand-new banjolele!

Really wanted to get this one in as well. ‘After Dark’ by Tito & Tarantula of ‘From Dusk till Dawn’ fame. The audience for this one is definitely bikers, and once a biker myself, I once found myself on stage singing this song with Tito & Tarantula, but that’s a story for another time…

Soo late and the family is asleep so the singing had to be kept veeeery quiet.

Wanted to do this one but ran out of time for I made my way to open mic tonight. Glad I did cuz there was talent there tonight (;
Here is a link for you to enjoy and thanks for hosting Dennis!

Ooh! I forgot about this one written by Monty Harper! Kids will love it!

Sneaking in the Monster Mash!

Take two - I'm getting better, but my wife still made me^H^H^H^H^H^H^H strongly suggested a restart after listening to the first recording yesterday morning.

Last edited:
SOTO 349 is now CLOSED! Ya'll were amazing! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

I still have a bit more work to do, but will wrap up reviews and announce prize winners as soon as possible. My apologies for being away all day yesterday, but we spent the entire day helping our daughter move to a new apartment and returned late last night shortly before midnight.

Randy has a really super theme rolling now for #350, and I hope to join you there soon. Please keep it tuned here too, for upcoming announcements. - dd

Greetings,

Thanks for a great week and for hosting!

Ciao

Wanted to do this one but ran out of time for I made my way to open mic tonight. Glad I did cuz there was talent there tonight (;
Here is a link for you to enjoy and thanks for hosting Dennis!

What a fun one this one would be to do in costume! Thanks for sharing it, Janet!

This Season is over, but I notice I'm not the only one to run late here. So I have one more song. This time it's a multi-track version of Tom Waits' Way Down in the Hole. This one is inspired by the version recorded by the Five Blind Boys of Alabama, used as the title song of the first season of the TV series The Wire.

I used these instruments:

- Koaloha KSM-T2 soprano ukulele with tenor neck
- Brüko Tenor Ukulele cedar/rosewood (flat) for the solo
- DYI teabox bass
- Schlagwerk Cajonito with brooms
- portable table harmonium from India

For the background of the video, it's only graveyards, though, but I suppose they do fit quite well.

And the nominees for sotu #349 are:

SOTU 349 AWARD TRAILER.jpg

Using a highly sophisticated technique of combining personal preferences and dice rolling, I have come up with the following lists of NOMINEES for the three prize categories:

I. For Favorite Newly Written Halloween or Fall Festival Song (In no particular order), the nominees are:

A. It's Never Halloween in Snowtown by Jp888then
B. That Night A Year by MP
C. Jack-o-Lantern by Bruce Rutherford

II. For Favorite Halloween or Fall Festival Song performance (Covers or Originals) we have the following nominees:

A. Lovely Head by Andrew Morse
B. It's Never Halloween in Snowtown by Jp888then
C. That Night A Year by MP
D. La Llorona by Kevin Griffin
E. PaBrizzer's Halloween songs - (Sorry Pa, I couldn't force myself to choose a favorite!)

And, For recognitiion based on both frequency and content of comments made, the nominees for my Favorite Commentor of the Season are:

A. Randy McSorley
B. Kolibri Uker
C. MP
D. Kevin Griffin
E. Del Griffiths
F. Jp888then
G. Fred Grub
H. Bruce Rutherford
L. Limousine Lil

I will announce the winners either later tonight (October 30) or on Halloween night tomorrow (10.31.2018). You may notice that some individuals have been nominated in more than one category. If necessary, I will re-calibrate my personal preference, dice-a-roller to assure that no won wins more than once. Sorry, but dems da rules! :rulez:

Stay tuned, but keep havin' fun over at Randy's house in #350!

dd

Last edited:
For season 349 of the ukulele, the award winners are:

FOR SEASON 349 OF THE UKULELE, THE AWARD WINNERS ARE:

I. For Favorite Newly Written Halloween or Fall Festival Song, the winner is:

https://youtu.be/G_uZjpNWeWA

II. For Favorite Halloween or Fall Festival Song performance (Covers or Originals), the winner is:

https://youtu.be/X9ILr1vNW6k

III. And, the winner of Favorite Commentor of the Season is:

https://youtu.be/G1uufE7ZHTY

In addition, the Academy, Oops! I mean: the Danners would like to present awards to 3 other individuals in recognition of their contributions which were not only highly entertaining matches to the spirit of the theme; they brought us many good songs well suited for a group or club to sing together! One even unknowingly contributed to the party décor and the award design!
The 3 additional Host Awards go to:

1. https://youtu.be/FVfk87uliKk and several more great orignals!
2. https://youtu.be/uoLKBnPmoZo and many others with super recording quality and appeal!
3. https://youtu.be/vXtjxBQQKoc for several covers and originals, and the creation of our primary party décor which I used for the award design! (Thanks Bev!)

The Prize being awarded is shown at:

https://youtu.be/nIwYrwDpiNc

Winners please send me your mailing addresses via Private Message here on the Forum, or by e-mail to me at: “my first and last name AT gmail.com,” and my first and last name are: dennis and danner with nothing separating them. (i.e. dennisdanner)

Once again,

HAPPY HALLOWEEN FROM ROANOKE, VIRGINIA!
d & e danner

Last edited:
Top Bottom