Down, in your hall I have waited a year, yes
G            D7
It’s time to meet
G            D7
It’s time to meet your
G            D7        Gm     
It’s time to meet your death!

349-5

Tom R sent me this suggestion with an Aaron Keim video. Very similar to St. James Infermery or it ended up that way in my version. LOL

"Monsters in Your Head" - by me

Oh, Dennis - I'm so glad this is the theme this week! I put my name in some time ago to perform in the Folk Project's Halloween show this evening. I wasn't finding myself inspired by any particular cover song, so I wrote one.

It's about monsters. The scariest kind of monsters.

It's my first complete original song in a very long time, and my first ever in a minor key. Which was really fun - I plan to do more of that!

It's also an earworm. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Re audience, I think this is the sort of song that works on multiple levels - fun for kids, thought-provoking and fun for adults. And only a little scary.

------------------------------------------

EDIT: Dennis asked me to add the lyrics, which I would have done in the first place, except I didn't have them in an easily copy-able form. So here's a link to my PDF chart, plus a screenshot of it in image form:

Monsters in Your Head chart.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ievbmwhpg47upe6/Monsters%20in%20Your%20Head%20%20-%20%20Wendy%20Keilin.pdf?dl=0

[url]https://www.dropbox.com/s/w528njb4g8paooj/Monsters%20in%20Your%20Head%20chart.PNG

[/URL]

Last edited:
One fine day when I was a freshman in college, I took a little trip out of town to visit a record store with a friend from my dorm. This was on the day of the scheduled release date for the album "Speaking In Tongues" by Talking Heads and he was hot to get it. The album did not release on schedule because of the complicated artwork of the original pressing, so we were out of luck on that count. But looking around the shop I saw the album cover for "Plastic Surgery Disasters" by the Dead Kennedys and fell for it hook, line, and sinker. I had no idea what I was getting into. This band scared the bejeezus out of me, but I listened to this record over and over again. Brilliant!

This song is more about life after Halloween, so it is fitting it goes in at the end of the season. I would say this song would come out only for a Halloween parts of aging punk rockers. (Foul language warning.)

Please excuse the horrible fake accent. Please excuse also the fact that I look like I just took my head out from under my arm. But there could be no excuses made for letting this one go by without mention this season. It is a delight for one and all and an essential song for any Halloween party or playlist. My source was the classic Stanley Holloway recording of 1934, "With Her Head Tucked Underneath Her Arm."

So this one is Echo And The Bunnymen’s finest hour - I was never their biggest fan but equally I never tire of this song. Another 80s classic - well there’s a surprise! :D
Probably for an adult audience - not sure if this one made it across the pond but if it did anyone between 45 and 65 is likely to remember it fondly!

Greetings,

Reposted yesterday's track, I had background noise from the store and it drove me NUTS. This is cleaner!

:)

I sang Grim King of the Ghosts at a Folk Club on Thursday and it reminded me of a song that I wrote recently - in July this year actually - which I did as a second song that evening. It was about a witch so I've re-recorded it and brought it to this season. I have 'tweaked' the lyrics slightly since July. The pictures are of Thorp Perrow Arboretum not far from here. My daughter and I visited there last Monday to capture the Autumn colours of their trees. I'm planning to go back in winter when the leaves are all off to get some pictures of the winter trees. Anyway, here is the tale of a girl who took pity on a witch and how it paid off many years later.

Lyrics are on You Tube.

For Season 349 of the Ukulele, we're doing Hallowe'en songs. Since my policy is to not submit a uke cover that someone else has already posted for the Season, and also since I didn't have much free time this week, I decided to sneak this one in at the last minute. This is a sketch - someday I hope to FLESH it out. For solo tenor uke... Edgar Winter (and Rick D's) "Frankenstein"

Believe it or not this is an abridged version. I cut out the intro which is badass in the original but doesn't sound as good when all you have is one uke. This is the toughest QOTSA song to translate to uke I've tried so far but I hope I've captured the spooky vibe enough.

To be played for angsty teens or those who once were

And if this one hasn't been done yet I'll be shocked. I'm sure Rick must've brought it. Pain to play for a three chord song

And if this one hasn't been done yet I'll be shocked. I'm sure Rick must've brought it. Pain to play for a three chord song

That’s why I never play this for the consumption of others, Ryan! Drives me nuts! Great bring.

This is a very old original of mine that I wrote way back in the 80s and is one of the few that I can still remember the whole thing, for some reason. This is a new recording made yesterday. I tried to make some "train" sounds with the harmonica. The final echo effect was made with Audacity.

It's based on an old playground rhyme that we used when playing tag to determine would who initially be "it." I think it went something like:

Engine engine number 9
Going down Chicago line
If the train should jump the track
Do you want your money back?

And then whoever turned up as "chosen" on the word "back" would answer either yes or no, thus would further follow:

Y-E-S spells yes (or N-O spells no) and you are not it.

And so on until all but one person was eliminated, and he would be it. The song is either about a ghost train, or about a guy who went crazy when his love died in a train crash and his insanity makes him keep hearing a train. Take your pick.

Progress report from your Host: It is now 9:40 EST, Saturday night here in Roanoke, and as soon as I comment on Alan's song I will be caught up on listening to everything posted so far. I will not be able to do any reviewing tomorrow, but will try to get back to work late Sunday night or Monday morning when time will have expired for SOTU 349 entries, and the witching hour will have come to an end.

Last edited:
Another Note From Your 349 Host:
Well, I have figured out what the prizes will be, but it will remain a secret until all you Trick or Treaters finish knocking on my door! I will tell you what categories I have decided to use, though. There will be one or more prizes awarded for my personal favorites that were:

A. Selected as new editions to make song charts for the Star City Ukulele Circle library.
B. Newly written Original Halloween Songs for this Season, and
C. Comments by a Seasonista made on a fellow Seasonista's video for 349! (Yes, the number of comments you can make is unlimited, and you can still go back and comment like crazy on all the videos on either playlist. :rulez: :p

Top Bottom