SOTU 349: HALLOWEEN SONGS - ddanner

I’d always taken this song on face value as a playful, almost novelty song about monsters - and as such a good fit for this week’s theme and a good one for a hallowe’en party. Then I had a proper read of the lyrics and discovered something a bit darker - could the approaching monster be a metaphor for depression or some other mental illness?
Anyway, it’s by a Welsh band called The Automatic and I like it. :)

Haven't done one of these before, but had the perfect song for it stuck in my head, so I figured I'd chime in:

This might be my favorite Halloween song, done by Buck Owens in the mid 70's. I did this one awhile back, but had fun recording it again here.

Inspired by my daughter, whose recurring costume for several years was something she created herself using only makeup, a porcelain doll with a broken face.

Haven't been on since I broke the :rulez: Wasn't our host nice though to add a playlist of older songs. Just wanted to let y'all know I have posted the lyrics now as well :) Plus I've got a pastiche written that I'll post soon.

My guess: You'd want to add this to the mix near the end of the evening as the party winds down. I'm not sure whose version I like best, but it's an infectious little ditty.
Deleted this one because I mistakenly double-posted. My Bad!!

No problem! But! Does this mean you owe me one? :) - dd

Season of the Witch with images from The Japanese Bakemono Zukushi Monster scroll.Tenor with added gratuitous harp...

Quite the most cheerless song I've ever come across, this must be the ultimate scary Halloween scenario! My version of this wonderful ditty is (sort of) based upon the Jen Titus cover. In justification, I can only say that I am feeling rather cheerless myself at the moment and that I really don't like Halloween (which seems, to me, to be just an excuse for a commercial extravaganza!) Bah humbug!!!

Last edited:
The Addams Family Theme (1964) by Vic Mizzy - for those who have seen the TV series and/or like to sing along. Ukulele tabs by Alvaro Pinto.

Haven't been on since I broke the :rulez: Wasn't our host nice though to add a playlist of older songs. Just wanted to let y'all know I have posted the lyrics now as well :) Plus I've got a pastiche written that I'll post soon.

Thanks for adding the lyrics Janet! I'll definitely revisit both your older songs on the "Halloween Originals" playlist once I get caught up here. BTW, your post is on page 7, and I sure hope I find something from you when I catch up with page 8 or 9! Wink! Wink! Nudge! Nudge! ;)

I’m so excited for the Netflix series Chilling Adventures of Sabrina that I’m recording ten ukulele episode recaps.

A bit of Tom Waits. A song for those with one foot in the grave.

Last edited:

I’m so excited for the Netflix series Chilling Adventures of Sabrina that I’m recording ten ukulele episode recaps.

I am not familiar with the Netflix series, CAofS, so I'm a bit confused with respect to whether this is a cover or original. Is the music from the Series theme? Did you write all the recap lyrics? I enjoyed your performance and lovely vocals and playing, but I did not know whether to put it on the " Originals" playlist or not. - dennis

Greetings,

This is the Cranberries "Zombie" song. It's not really about Zombies. Hard one to do, I should probably drop it but wanted to post anyway. Might kill it later - then it would really be a Zombie song (get it?)

Target audience - well it would be adults, as the song is rather serious and the Cranberries fans would love (if only) I could sing like the original vocalist as she did terrific vocals on this song.

Ciao

Last edited:
Top Bottom