SOTU 349: HALLOWEEN SONGS - ddanner

Here's an original for you, Dennis. Not a camp song, but hopefully some kids might like it! Multitracked an organ and a vibraphone.

Here's one more kid-friendly. And in that spirit I let Isaac get in on the action.

By the White Stripes, on my now 3-string Dolphin. I've done this one before.

My guess: You'd want to add this to the mix near the end of the evening as the party winds down. I'm not sure whose version I like best, but it's an infectious little ditty.

Deleted this one because I mistakenly double-posted. My Bad!!

Last edited:
And, herewith, a cosy little murder ballad .... ideal for Halloween and definitely aimed at an adult audience. I played this on my newly acquired Seagull Uke Steel SG Burst EQ, which I haven't quite worked out how to hold - its a rather strange shape (see photo) and also quite slippery. I really like the sound of the steel strings, though.

download (6).jpeg

Here's a Porter Wagoner song I've been wanting to try, and figured this week was a good time for it. This was my first recorded take.

Thanks for hosting Dennis!

Based on a Latin legend, this song is about the ghost of a woman who wanders eternally looking for the children she killed in a fit of rage ~

OK, I double-posted Maxwell, and Randy and Val were kind enough to comment on the second post.

This is what I meant to add initially.

My apologies ... a catchy tune, if you ask me!

homemade song for the season

"dracu-love"

i'm tuned open G power chord here, but the song does work with regular tuning, and the chords as follows...

[G] icy fingers [B♭] down your [C] spine
[G] remind you baby that [B♭] you are [C] mine
[G] i come to you from be [B♭] yond the [C] grave
[G] because my darling your [B♭] love i [C] crave
[G] [B♭] [G] [B♭] [G] [B♭] [G] [B♭]

[G] torn from this life at the [B♭] height of my [C] powers
[G] i come to you in the [B♭] small [C] hours
[G] don't worry baby i [B♭] know i'm [C] cold
[G] but oh honey my [B♭] loving never gets [C] old
[G] [B♭] [G] [B♭] [G] [B♭] [G] [B♭]

[G] remember baby you [B♭] are my [C] bride
[G] your beating heart calls me [B♭] from the other [C] side
[G] take my hand oh baby [B♭] reach for [C] me
[G] our love will last for all e [B♭] terni [C] ty

[G] [B♭] oh baby [C] yeah
[G] [B♭] oh baby [C] yeah yeah yeah

[G] i come to you in the [B♭] darkest [C] night
[G] your neck's so tempting can i [B♭] take a [C] bite
[G] i love you baby and [B♭] that's e [C] nough
[G] i may be dead but i [B♭] know my [C] stuff

[G] [B♭] oh baby [C] yeah yeah yeah
[G] yeah

349-2

This recording session was so hexed. Some witchy woman had put an evil spell on me to not get this song done but I persisted until she got tired of me. I prevailed, somewhat. LOL

A Scottish song written by Ewan MacColl and performed by Dick Gaughan: The Father's song
Everyone needs reassurance and support, especially children.

Code:
Am                      E7                   Am
That's another day gone by, son, close your eyes
C                       G                  F
For the moon is chasing clouds across the skies
Am                       E7
Got to sleep and have no fear, son 
         C               G     F
For your mam and dad are near, son
        G               F             E7
And the giant is just a shadow on the wall

Am                       E7              Am
Go to sleep and when you wake it will be light
C                           G               F
There's no need to fear the darkness of the night
Am                         E7
It's not like the dark you find, son
       C                    G      F
In the depths of some men's minds, son
      G                F            E7
That defies the daily coming of the dawn

Am                   E7             Am
Stop crying now, let daddy dry your tears
C                      G              F
There's no bogeyman to get you, never fear
Am                       E7
There's no ogres, wicked witches
     C              G   F
Only greedy sons-of-bitches
        G            F                E7
Who are waiting to exploit your life away

Am               E7              Am
Lie easy in your bed and grow up strong
C                          G                   F
You'll be needing all your strength before too long
Am                         E7
For you'll soon be on your way, son
         C             G    F
Fighting battles every day, son
        G         F                  E7
With an enemy who thinks he owns the world

Am                E7                        Am
Don't you let 'em buy you out or break your pride
C                         G               F
Don't you let yourself be used then cast aside
Am                     E7
If you listen to their lying
          C            G F
They will con you into dying
 G              F                      E7
You won't even know that you were once alive

Am                       E7            Am
No more talking now it's time to go to sleep
C                         G                     F
There are answers to your questions but they'll keep
Am                     E7
Go on asking while you grow, son
      C               G     F
Go on asking till you know, son
         E7               F                   G
And then send the answers ringing through the world
         G                F                   E7
And then send the answers ringing through the world

I Put a Spell on Uke!

I thought that this song would be nice to have at a party with mature adults.

In Denmark we traditionally don't celebrate Halloween, which is called "Allehelgensaften" (All Saints Night) in danish.
The closest we come is the late winter/early spring carnival of "Fastelavn", which used to mark the beginning of the fast. There is no spooky/death theme, but there are similarities: Children dressing up in costumes and trick-or-treating.
In my generation trick for treating for halloween was not that common, but the old "fastelavn" song goes: "Boller op, boller ned, boller i min mave. Hvis jeg ingen boller får, så laver jeg ballade!", which translates roughly into: "Buns/Scones going up, scones going down, scones in my tummy, if no scones I get, trouble I will make!". I Think that children were more often given change to buy candy than actually scones.

The scary thing about "Fastelavn" is the "Knock the cat out of the barrel" tradition. It features a barrel shaped piñata with a picture of a cat on the side. Story goes that it used to have a live cat inside. Poor cat!

If you want to talk about Halloween Playlists, you have to be talking about this song. This song was THE song at halloween time for many-a-year. I will be making the rounds with this one amongst the now teens and young adults in my life to see if it still holds true after 19 years of playing it.

When I saw the theme, I wondered what I could bring then I remembered I have a couple of broadside ballads that will fit the theme very nicely. This is one of them. The other would have fitted last week theme as well if I had only thought of it. The photos I took on Monday at an arboretum not far from where I live. I thought the pictures of leaves, bugs and fungi would suit the theme quite well.

quick note to all:
please check season 348, post #170 re winners and shout outs.

Bah humbug! I am definitely a Scrooge when it comes to Halloween. I feel it has taken over too many local traditions that are falling into disuse in both Catalonia and Britain... and I suspect much of Europe, if not the world. So, here is my narrator having a good old moan about Halloween and showing off some images of traditional alternatives in Britain and in Catalunya.

As you will see during the third chorus, the debate about Halloween vs the local tradition of the Castanyada gets a lot of people hot under the collar.

BTW - Castanyes are chestnuts and Panallets are a kind of sweet ball usually comprised of combinations of crushed almonds, sugar and pine nuts. Muscatel is a local sweet (and potent) wine.

Enjoy!

Oh Wow! Looks like some really good stuff coming this way since I've been away! I hate it when real life conflicts with my virtual life, but it means life is good! I was just checking in, and thrilled to see the newest entries that I have not yet heard, and see that several have lyrics and chords included! I'll be back late tonight after our monthly Southwestern Virginia Songwriters Association (SVSA) meeting, and promise I will not quit watching and commenting until I reach this bookmarK! Keep 'em comin' and Happy Halloween and Fall Fest! - dd

Top Bottom