Any disadvantage using 3 fingers strumming?

Delich

Reaction score
I prefer the 3 fingers strumming approach, instead using your index, just relax and strum the strings using your index, middle and ring fingers, ring finger down, index up, it's more natural to me, and the sound is more crisp and loud than using only one finger.

It's been 6 months, I haven't noticed any problem with this approach, but afraid could have met troubles in future, can any one help me if this is a bad way to strum?

I prefer the 3 fingers strumming approach, instead using your index, just relax and strum the strings using your index, middle and ring fingers, ring finger down, index up, it's more natural to me, and the sound is more crisp and loud than using only one finger.

It's been 6 months, I haven't noticed any problem with this approach, but afraid could have met troubles in future, can any one help me if this is a bad way to strum?

Most people will say, whatever works for you, there is more than one way to skin a cat. I use the index finger, that is the way I was taught and it seems to be the accepted norm.

I don’t see an issue with your method. To me one of the biggest things about a person’s strum is they never change it during a song or even between songs. The same strum may get boring to the listener. I suggest learning several strums and mixing them up to add variety to your playing.

Sometimes I use my thumb, sometimes I flick down with my fingers, sometimes I add in an up strum with my thumb, basically, anything goes - just make it musical. :)

I use three fingers primarily. Actually the ring finger is the main finger I use, they other fingers mostly just go along for the ride. For upstrokes I mainly use the thumb. One advantage of this technique is that I can fan out the three fingers on the downstroke for something reminiscent of a flamenco sound. Also since the three fingers are a bit extended for strumming, they are immediately available for fingerpicking in case you want to strum for a beat and then arpeggiate for a beat.

So you and I are fine doing what we do. However, you should explore other options because, really, the music is in your hand right. You can keep the same old chords with the left hand and have endless music by changing up your strums. For example, detach your thumb from the three fingers for triplet strums (fingers down, thumb down, thumb up). Or I have been using profitably a six part strum I saw the Daniel Ward doing: index down, index up, middle down, thumb up, slap your palm across the strings, drag your fingers up. Try doing that fast whilst transitioning between chords after the finger drag!

Your strumming's fine. Just try to expand so that your main strum isn't a limitation.

I use three fingers primarily. Actually the ring finger is the main finger I use, they other fingers mostly just go along for the ride. For upstrokes I mainly use the thumb. One advantage of this technique is that I can fan out the three fingers on the downstroke for something reminiscent of a flamenco sound. Also since the three fingers are a bit extended for strumming, they are immediately available for fingerpicking in case you want to strum for a beat and then arpeggiate for a beat.

So you and I are fine doing what we do. However, you should explore other options because, really, the music is in your hand right. You can keep the same old chords with the left hand and have endless music by changing up your strums. For example, detach your thumb from the three fingers for triplet strums (fingers down, thumb down, thumb up). Or I have been using profitably a six part strum I saw the Daniel Ward doing: index down, index up, middle down, thumb up, slap your palm across the strings, drag your fingers up. Try doing that fast whilst transitioning between chords after the finger drag!

Your strumming's fine. Just try to expand so that your main strum isn't a limitation.

Thank you for all these, though some ideas are way ahead of me:D

Sometimes I use my thumb, sometimes I flick down with my fingers, sometimes I add in an up strum with my thumb, basically, anything goes - just make it musical. :)

I used thumb to strum at beginning, but I found the sound with thumb is kind of dull to me.

I use sometimes 3 fingers for a downstrum and also to chuck/chunk.
Up strum I use my index finger only.

I normally strum with 2 fingers and my thumb :)

the thumb(nail) is mostly for the upstroke while the
index and pinky(nails) do a modified 'roll' of sorts.

enjoy experimenting with various techniques and
rhythms. I instruct my students to try to copy
the rhythm they hear in the songs they want to play :)

keep uke'in',

I use my middle, ring and pinky fingers on the downstroke and my thumb on the upstroke and for triple strums. I let the nails on those fingers grow out but keep my index finger trimmed close so I can safely pick my nose.

Top Bottom