Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your go-to ukulele size?

My favoured size is soprano,as per my sig;but I mostly play my sopranino at home!
    All power and respect to you Concert,Tenor and Baritone players, but Soprano is what does it for me every time!

Tried all the three regular sizes when I started out, & spent most of my time on concert scale, but it was a 'long neck soprano'.

After trying quite a lot of ukes, I found 'my size', it is a tenor scale on a concert sized body, ('long neck concert').

Solid mahogany was my favourite sounding wood - until I got a solid acacia - now I'm not so sure.

Favourite strings is easy to answer, fluorocarbon, Living Water Low G concert strings, they are on my tenor & my concert scale ukes.

Started out learning in December 2015, for about two years - then my wanderlust took over & I went back to my harmonicas, & now I include flutes, fifes, piccolo, & whistles in my musical collection.

(I still dabble with my ukes, but my main instrument presently is harmonica.)
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Size...tenor. Anything smaller makes a G chord feel like 3 fat people trying to get thru a small door.
    Wood......koa and mahogany
    Strings........Aquila Nylguts and Worth
    Number of Ukes......6, 1 Kanilea K3 Premier tenor, 1 Cordoba 20TM-CE tenor, 1 Kala TEMB tenor, 1 Luna tribal pineapple, 1 Oscar Schmidt OU2TAT tenor, 1 Kala KA-15-HI soprano,
    How Long...........about 1 year ago got first uke.
    Practice........typically at least one hour per day
    Learning.........books and You Tube
    Musical Background.........rock band lead singer, San Francisco 1960's. A bit of guitar and harmonica over the years.
    Height............5.9"
    Other instruments desired...................banjo uke

So many questions! You sound like my wife when I come home at 2:00 AM. : )

As I've told my wife many times, size doesn't matter. Any size uke is good for me, from sopranino to tenor.
    I like solid koa.
    Strings - no favorites.
    49 ukes, with two banjo ukes under construction. Sopranino 1; Soprano 17; Concert 15; Tenor 16. regular, resonator, and banjo ukes.
    I've been ukin' for about four years.
    Practice - not as much as I should. : (
    I learn by playing with my groups, event workshops, books, and online study.
    I played the trumpet when I was in school, fiddled () with the piano. I play the harmonica a bit.
    Height: 5' 10"
    I'd like to improve my uke and harmonica skills, also work on the tin whistle.
    Last edited by Jerryc41; 10-24-2018 at 04:15 AM.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!

My go to size is Concert - I own or have owned sopranos, long neck sopranos, tenor neck sopranos, concerts, tenor neck concerts, tenors, and a baritone but my favorite size is now and has always been concert.

I currently own 10 or so ukes and I've been playing since 2004 or so. I typically play about an hour a day though it's usually not in one sitting. I just always seem to have one nearby.

I tend to prefer all mahogany ukes but it's not a firm rule with me... just that the ukes I've loved best were/ are solid mahogany.

Strings? Not a string junky but I do like Aquila and some fluorocarbon sets I've tried.

Self taught though I often refer to sheet music to learn the chords of new songs. I cannot read music but I seem to have a good ear and can often figure out songs by ear without sheet music.

I also play guitar and some banjo.
    Last edited by Swamp Yankee; 10-24-2018 at 04:27 AM.
    Kala Waterman soprano
    Mainland Mahogany Classic soprano
    Mainland Red Cedar soprano
    Ohana SK-28 soprano
    Cahaya CY-0112 concert
    Kiwaya KTC-1 concert
    Musicguymic's "Kolohe" brand - prototype concert
    Cordoba 24T tenor
    Kanilea Islander MST-4 tenor
    Pono ATD tenor
    Cordoba 24B baritone

Size: Concert
    Wood: Spruce top with any body wood
    Strings: Living water
    Number of Ukes: see my signature line
    How long: 2.5 years. Did not play much at all until 10 months ago,
    Practice: daily for 10-30 min
    Learning: watching Youtube and books.
    Music background: Cello, piano.
    Hand size: Medium glove size.
    Next instrument: Hammered Dulcimer.
    Tenor: Jupiter Doggie Parade, Kinnard, Mya Moe 2052, Mya Moe Resonator 1581
    Concert: Hoffmann ML, Oceana, LoPrinzi Nova MS-C, Kanile'a KPA C, Kiwaya KMC-K, Pono RC-C-PC, KoAloha Mango, Bruce Wei Hummingbird, KoAloha Pineapple Sunday, Waterman
    Soprano: Lanikai LU-21, Kamaka Pineapple 100th Anniversary, Maui Music SK-41 "Pre-Fire", Romero Creations XS, Ohana SK 50G, Zimnicki #20, Makayla Dolphin, Fred Shields Oval, KoAloha KSM-02 (Long Neck), Barron River
    Mini: iUke Piccolo, Fred Shields Pocket

- your go-to ukulele size (one only pls)====I only play tenor
    - your go-to ukulele wood combo, solid/ laminate====solid
    - Favorite strings=====have no favorite, use many types
    - Number of ukes and sizes you own====current 8, had 16, all tenor
    - how long you've been 'uke'====5 years 3 months
    - how long/ often to practice====3 to 4 times a week, 10 to 30 minutes
    - source of learning====internet and group meetings twice a week
    - other musical backgrounds====guitar for almost 50 years, but since playing uke, never touch them
    - height (that helps to determine the hand size)=====5 ft 10 in, med hand
    - contended or other ukus/ instrument you wanna try?====might have Bruce Wei in Vietnam make me a myrtle double cutaway

I reckon above are the factors that make a person decided on their favourite uku size.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video

v
    Quote Originally Posted by ht852 View Post
    Hi, I am still a uku newbie. Often torn between which sizes of uku to get. I wanna know your favorite ukulele size and what might lead you to choose it. Can you please share:

- your go-to ukulele size (one only pls)-Soprano
    - your go-to ukulele wood combo, solid/ laminate-Laminate
    - Favourite strings-Aquilla, but I've not tried anything else. But I am getting Martin strings on my next uke.
    - Number of ukes and sizes you ownSoon to be two, both soprano
    - how long you've been 'uke'-Since June
    - how long/ often to practiceDepending on my course load, other hobbies, 20 min. To an hour a day
    - source of learning-YouTube, Casual strumming and Daily Ukulele and the occasional Jam at my local music store
    - other musical backgrounds-I did chorus when I was in high school.
    - height (that helps to determine the hand size)5'3
    - contended or other ukus/ instrument you wanna try?- I'm content, but I want to branch out maybe but I'm not sure yet

I reckon above are the factors that make a person decided on their favourite uku size.
    HTH!
    Regards
    -Makala Dolphin Soprano-AKA "Ludo"
    Coming soon.. Kala-15S(Soprano)
    Started playing in June 2018
    Please call me Dixie
    I play left handed.

Concert scale....always.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Go-to ukulele size: Tenor
    Wood combo: So far, Rosewood Body with Spruce Top [Subject to change at any moment.]
    Favourite strings: Living Waters Fluourcarbon
    Number of Ukes Owned: Too many! I have to downsize soon. All tenors bar 2 sopranos. (Bought for my wife who hasn't had time.)
    How long playing: 15 months (My first serious instrument)
    How long/often practice: Every day. Usually 2 hours. (You'd think I'd be better than I am.)
    Source of learning: Various. Books, YouTube, UU, Friends, Ukulele Club, Other online courses
    Other musical backgrounds: Choir, but never learned to read music
    Height: These days, I am 6'1". But I have small hands for my height. Can't palm a basketball.
    Other ukes/instruments you wanna try: Ko'olau Tenor; Several Luthier-Made Tenor Ukes; Cajon Percussion Box; Harmonica

Thread Information