Your go-to ukulele size?

ht852

Reaction score
Hi, I am still a uku newbie. Often torn between which sizes of uku to get. I wanna know your favorite ukulele size and what might lead you to choose it. Can you please share:

- your go-to ukulele size (one only pls)
- your go-to ukulele wood combo, solid/ laminate
- Favourite strings
- Number of ukes and sizes you own
- how long you've been 'uke'
- how long/ often to practice
- source of learning
- other musical backgrounds
- height (that helps to determine the hand size)
- contended or other ukus/ instrument you wanna try?

I reckon above are the factors that make a person decided on their favourite uku size.

Size.....started with concert. Tried soprano & tenor. Concert is my happy place.
Wood ...... have tried a lot, like them all for different reasons.
Strings.....Living Waters.
Numbers owned .......Have owned 10, currently own 4. One soprano, two concerts, one concert scale tenor. Always “window shopping.”
Been uke for 1 year & 6 months.
Practice ...... Play every day. Sometimes a few minutes. Sometimes I get lost in the music for hours.
Learning source .....I started learning from YouTube, then found local uke groups & workshops. Finding groups to play with & learn from has helped me improve a ton.
Music background ..... None.
Height really doesn’t matter. Hand size doesn’t always determine what size ukulele you can play or which you enjoy most. Many folks play all sizes.
No desire to play anything else. Playing my ukuleles is perfect for me.

Last edited:
Myself first:
- concert ( best fret spacing for me for strumming and fingerpick) (as I fingerpick more. starting to feel why people like Tenor - the sound, the space) (my sofa-side sopranino come 2nd for the mess around uku)
- Koa (spruce and rosewood is my 2nd love)
- 2 concert (hi/low G, can't decide which i like more), 1 tenor, 1 sopranino, 1 soprano (previously trade away about 5 ukus in concert/ tenor/ electric or not)
- since X'mas 2017
- maybe 30mins a day, mostly play 6 out of 7 days
- mainly books. supplement by youtube
- basic piano background
- 160 average hand size
- contended for now. after owning numbers of uku from some famous names, feel that my uku skill is yet to improve to meet the standard~

- tenor
- solid Koa (cedar/redwood second for a change)
- Oasis/Seaguar
- around 10 (5 tenors and a mix of the others)
- since 2007
- practice? We talkin' about practice? Seriously, everything I play is from memory. I have to play though around 25 or so songs so I won't forget. I've left a few behind when I couldn't recall what I did and didn't want to bother to re-learn them. Occasionally, I will put out the effort a second time. I tend to make up open/semi open chords up the neck and those are the tough ones to do over. These days I've tried to simplify things. Funny, but no one seems to notice I'm basically playing the same chord shapes with different melodies. There are 10 different ways to play a "C" chord.
- usually I hear a song and then find the chords and figure out the melody. If it is a complex piece that some pro plays and I want to learn that version, I'll go onto youtube and steal what I can and modify it if I can't replicate some parts well enough.
- played piano as a kid, then guitar and some bass.
- I'm 5'9" and my hands are not large, but I have 2 18" scale tenors. Although longer fingers would make some stretches easier, I still manage.
- right now the uke is what I play 99% of the time. Rarely pick up the guitar and I no longer have a piano.

John

Last edited:
- your go-to ukulele size (one only pls) = soprano
- your go-to ukulele wood combo, solid/ laminate = combo is spruce/ovangkol, solid is sapele, laminate is HPL
- Favourite strings = Living Waters
- Number of ukes and sizes you own =15, 12 soprano, 2 tenor, 1 concert
- how long you've been 'uke' =5 years
- how long/ often to practice= every day 15 minutes to an hour
- source of learning - books or pdf
- other musical backgrounds = piano and guitar about 45 years ago
- height (that helps to determine the hand size) = 4'11"
- contended or other ukus/ instrument you wanna try? = baritone and kalimba

Size: Concert with 1 3/8 " nut width. Both reentrant and linear.
Woods: Today was a mahogany day. Tomorrow will be something else, like walnut w/ cedar, or koa.
Strings: Living Water.
Number and sizes: All concert. Sold the tenors and sopranos. Number: More than I intended, but I can't talk myself into selling anything else right now.
How long: First tried in 2013, but didn't click with it. Can't remember when I got serious about it, but have been for a couple years.
Practice/Play: I try to play every day, for at least a few minutes. I often play a couple hours/day.
Source of learning: Internet.
Musical background: Played piano as a youngster, but teacher liked to hit students, so the idea of playing piano still makes me nervous. Didn't play anything for many years.
Height: My feet usually touch the floor when I'm standing. Not always when I'm sitting, though.
Want to try: Hammered dulcimer. Spent a little time with it last winter, but wandered off for a variety of reasons. Need more hours in the day and to tune it, and plan on getting back to it. But I usually can't put the ukulele down, so run out of time for other non-essential activities.

Wow, a long list of questions...
Some preferences may be interpolated, as I currently dont own the exact combination.

Size: Concert
Wood: Solid mahogany. I think. Never actually had a solid mahogany concert, but it sounds well on my long neck soprano and my new tenor.
Strings: Worth Browns. But there are many I havent tried
Numbers and sizes: currently 5. 3 tenors, one concert, one long neck soprano. Used to have a soprano, but I sold it.
How long: playing since spring 2015.
How often: probably a couple of hours a week, in sessions of about half en hour. Sometimes just 10 minutes in the morning to prepare my mind for work.
Learning: from the internet
Background: I had a keyboard and a guitar before, but I have never been proficient on either. It helps though.
Other instruments i want: dunno.

Last edited:
I'm relatively new, as well (or at least I feel like I am), but here we go...

SIZE: Having owned Soprano, Concert, and Tenor, I think I'm most into tenor. (though a wide nut soprano may top that)
WOOD: Can't say much about this, but I love the sound of solid mahogany.
STRINGS: Aquila reds are pretty nice. Trying out D'addario Titanium, though.
NUMBER: Three. One soprano, one concert, one tenor.
HOW LONG: Bought my first one in early 2016, but really was off and on until earlier this year.
PRACTICE: I try to play a good 20-30 minutes a day, minimum. I bring my soprano with me all the time, so it's easy.
LEARNING: Internet.
OTHER MUSIC: Minimal. Played trombone for a year in elementary school. Tried guitar in college. Neither stuck.
HEIGHT?: 6'2
OTHERS: Want to give Baritone ukulele a try some time. Maybe a banjolele. Outside of uke, maybe classical guitar at some point?

window shopping is my favourite excerise too ^^. but i think my ears are still too immature that i can't tell the difference right away.... only till spending some time with the uku, i am able to definite what I like or not. i ended up buying and trading quite a number of ukus off. losing too much money -.-... so now i sticks with the good ones and save money and time on getting the skill up till i get in the pool agan~

My favoured size is soprano,as per my sig;but I mostly play my sopranino at home!

Tried all the three regular sizes when I started out, & spent most of my time on concert scale, but it was a 'long neck soprano'. :)

After trying quite a lot of ukes, I found 'my size', it is a tenor scale on a concert sized body, ('long neck concert').

Solid mahogany was my favourite sounding wood - until I got a solid acacia - now I'm not so sure. ;)

Favourite strings is easy to answer, fluorocarbon, Living Water Low G concert strings, they are on my tenor & my concert scale ukes. :)

Started out learning in December 2015, for about two years - then my wanderlust took over & I went back to my harmonicas, & now I include flutes, fifes, piccolo, & whistles in my musical collection. ;)

(I still dabble with my ukes, but my main instrument presently is harmonica.)

Size...tenor. Anything smaller makes a G chord feel like 3 fat people trying to get thru a small door.
Wood......koa and mahogany
Strings........Aquila Nylguts and Worth
Number of Ukes......6, 1 Kanilea K3 Premier tenor, 1 Cordoba 20TM-CE tenor, 1 Kala TEMB tenor, 1 Luna tribal pineapple, 1 Oscar Schmidt OU2TAT tenor, 1 Kala KA-15-HI soprano,
How Long...........about 1 year ago got first uke.
Practice........typically at least one hour per day
Learning.........books and You Tube
Musical Background.........rock band lead singer, San Francisco 1960's. A bit of guitar and harmonica over the years.
Height............5.9"
Other instruments desired...................banjo uke

So many questions! You sound like my wife when I come home at 2:00 AM. : )

As I've told my wife many times, size doesn't matter. Any size uke is good for me, from sopranino to tenor.
I like solid koa.
Strings - no favorites.
49 ukes, with two banjo ukes under construction. Sopranino 1; Soprano 17; Concert 15; Tenor 16. regular, resonator, and banjo ukes.
I've been ukin' for about four years.
Practice - not as much as I should. : (
I learn by playing with my groups, event workshops, books, and online study.
I played the trumpet when I was in school, fiddled :))) with the piano. I play the harmonica a bit.
Height: 5' 10"
I'd like to improve my uke and harmonica skills, also work on the tin whistle.

Last edited:
My go to size is Concert - I own or have owned sopranos, long neck sopranos, tenor neck sopranos, concerts, tenor neck concerts, tenors, and a baritone but my favorite size is now and has always been concert.

I currently own 10 or so ukes and I've been playing since 2004 or so. I typically play about an hour a day though it's usually not in one sitting. I just always seem to have one nearby.

I tend to prefer all mahogany ukes but it's not a firm rule with me... just that the ukes I've loved best were/ are solid mahogany.

Strings? Not a string junky but I do like Aquila and some fluorocarbon sets I've tried.

Self taught though I often refer to sheet music to learn the chords of new songs. I cannot read music but I seem to have a good ear and can often figure out songs by ear without sheet music.

I also play guitar and some banjo.

Last edited:
Size: Concert
Wood: Spruce top with any body wood
Strings: Living water
Number of Ukes: see my signature line
How long: 2.5 years. Did not play much at all until 10 months ago,
Practice: daily for 10-30 min
Learning: watching Youtube and books.
Music background: Cello, piano.
Hand size: Medium glove size.
Next instrument: Hammered Dulcimer.

- your go-to ukulele size (one only pls)====I only play tenor
- your go-to ukulele wood combo, solid/ laminate====solid
- Favorite strings=====have no favorite, use many types
- Number of ukes and sizes you own====current 8, had 16, all tenor
- how long you've been 'uke'====5 years 3 months
- how long/ often to practice====3 to 4 times a week, 10 to 30 minutes
- source of learning====internet and group meetings twice a week
- other musical backgrounds====guitar for almost 50 years, but since playing uke, never touch them
- height (that helps to determine the hand size)=====5 ft 10 in, med hand
- contended or other ukus/ instrument you wanna try?====might have Bruce Wei in Vietnam make me a myrtle double cutaway

I reckon above are the factors that make a person decided on their favourite uku size.

8 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 7 mini electric bass guitars

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children's hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video

v
Hi, I am still a uku newbie. Often torn between which sizes of uku to get. I wanna know your favorite ukulele size and what might lead you to choose it. Can you please share:

- your go-to ukulele size (one only pls)-Soprano
- your go-to ukulele wood combo, solid/ laminate-Laminate
- Favourite strings-Aquilla, but I've not tried anything else. But I am getting Martin strings on my next uke.
- Number of ukes and sizes you ownSoon to be two, both soprano
- how long you've been 'uke'-Since June
- how long/ often to practiceDepending on my course load, other hobbies, 20 min. To an hour a day
- source of learning-YouTube, Casual strumming and Daily Ukulele and the occasional Jam at my local music store
- other musical backgrounds-I did chorus when I was in high school.
- height (that helps to determine the hand size)5'3
- contended or other ukus/ instrument you wanna try?- I'm content, but I want to branch out maybe but I'm not sure yet

HTH!
Regards

Concert scale....always.

Go-to ukulele size: Tenor
Wood combo: So far, Rosewood Body with Spruce Top [Subject to change at any moment.]
Favourite strings: Living Waters Fluourcarbon
Number of Ukes Owned: Too many! I have to downsize soon. All tenors bar 2 sopranos. (Bought for my wife who hasn't had time.)
How long playing: 15 months (My first serious instrument)
How long/often practice: Every day. Usually 2 hours. (You'd think I'd be better than I am.)
Source of learning: Various. Books, YouTube, UU, Friends, Ukulele Club, Other online courses
Other musical backgrounds: Choir, but never learned to read music
Height: These days, I am 6'1". But I have small hands for my height. Can't palm a basketball.
Other ukes/instruments you wanna try: Ko'olau Tenor; Several Luthier-Made Tenor Ukes; Cajon Percussion Box; Harmonica

Top Bottom