Luthiers String Selection Criteria

Surely you don't think that the factories that spin out 10,000,000 miles of nylon and flourocarbon filament every week, do it just for musical instruments especially ukuleles that use it in 60cm lengths (and it comes in lots of different shades from clear to black including green blue red and brown )... A lot of it goes to the world wide fishing industries who must get through millions of miles of it making nets ect:....most of it ends up floating about in the sea eventually killing off wildlife.:(
View attachment 113038 View attachment 113039
I recently purchased some 95 M flourocarbon leaders .. 4 different sizes cost me about £70 , if i cut them up into soprano size lengths and put it into packets..and sell them at £7 a set I wood make approx: £800 or more profit .. and I think thats what a lot of these uke string suppliers do..only they buy the stuff in bulk :)

What’s your take on companies that sell classical guitar strings? Do they just buy the same generic product and ‘brand engineer’ them? Does any company actually manufacture their own strings or request exact specifications from the large manufacturers of such material. Funny to consider that there is actually only one factory pumping out millions of miles of plastic thread every week.

Here is an interesting video.. Look at the stuff in the garage in the back yard, :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5QaR_ZfmCM

Interesting video. Thanks for the link. Funny that it featured Bosko. 3 years ago Allen crafted me a Tenor 8 string. I asked him to space the fourth pair a little farther apart than the other pairs. I wanted to be able to pick the high or low g separately. I got the idea after hearing Bosko talk about a concert that Allen built him with the same set up.

278D696F-4A3C-4A01-9A89-AE864BB349BD.jpg

Last edited:
The theory, if not the currently used materials, has been understood since Brook Taylor 1685-1731
http://www.sligoharps.com/string.html
There is a saying that fishing gear is made to catch fishermen rather than fish and this article seems to disprove a lot of the fluorocarbon hype even if I have heard it applied slightly differently to ukulele strings.
https://activeanglingnz.com/2016/01/04/the-fluorocarbon-myth/
I do wonder though if we aren't limiting ourselves by sticking to the same material across the set. We don't bat an eyelid when guitars have wound strings for the bass notes so why not use fluorocarbon for the C and low G and nylon for the rest for example?

Hi Sven............I think you meant to say 'nut slots', since there are no slots in the saddle of a uke!
You are correct, I meant nut slots. In Swedish the nut is called saddle. And the saddle is called something else (not nut though).

More disturbing is I have no recollection at all of writing that second post. I read it just now and thought ”he’s right” then saw it was my own name on it. Mustn’t postpone that brain transplant any more - or did I already have it..?

Top Bottom