Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Practice

Default Practice

Just wondering how often and for how long do other beginners practice?
    At the moment it's every day for an hour or more for me. But I'm right at the start of things.
    Last edited by Loveiz; 10-24-2018 at 02:20 AM.

Every day is good,but do what you are comfortable with! We had a learner group once, and I suggested an hour a day; one lady said she couldn't manage that, but was two hours on a sunday okay? I laughed and said no. Even ten minutes a day would be better for her.
    To gain the muscle memory in your fingers, you need regular contact with your instrument,such as you are doing;and many folk need to toughen up their skin on the fingertips too.Keep playing,and be happy!
    All power and respect to you Concert,Tenor and Baritone players, but Soprano is what does it for me every time!

As a beginner, I would practice most days, rarely more than an hour, but often only for ten minutes or so; which is often all that's needed to reinforce whatever I learned the day before.

For me, the important thing isn't so much the time spent practicing as the project I'm working on. For example, I learned a lot building a repertoire of railway-themed songs for a performance at my brother in law's birthday party.

Now I'm not so much a beginner, I practice whenever I feel I need to, and that depends on whether I have a performance coming up or whether some new (to me) song or technique has grabbed my attention.

I've never practiced. I'm allergic to practice. I just pick up my uke when I'm bored and try to do things with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Loveiz View Post
    Just wondering how often and for how long do other beginners practice?
    At the moment it's every day for an hour or more for me.
    I would second the comments made to you by Jim and Topdog as being a good guide for a beginner. I didn’t learn the Uke as a child but I did learn another instrument from a peripatetic (traveling) teacher. On practice that teacher asked for fifteen minutes everyday of structured practice, more was not unwelcome but he sought regularity and structure most and accepted that people also had other time commitments too. So little and often is good and structure will see you working with direction.

Robins comment set me thinking. I find his way of working more right for an intermediate or an experienced player. It would seem that I’m bored a lot as I often go to an instrument and just try out things on it, the time seems to fly by and I have a smile on my face as it does.
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 10-24-2018 at 01:31 AM.

I used to do about 15~30mins, 2 to 3 times a day, but not every day, when I started.

Put the uke on a stand, & pick it up every now & then when passing by.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

I practice every work day for about 20 minutes, every other Wednesday at the ukulele club for a couple of hours, and then (in agreement with Croaky Keith) I have one on a stand that I pick up whenever passing.
    I sometimes spend 10 minutes or so just randomly changing cords without actually playing a tune.
    One bit of advice I would give is to not shy away from the difficult cords, but try changing from "easy" cords to the more challenging ones, then back to easy ones. You soon find that they become easier.
    Ukuleles owned:-
    Laka VUC50 Soprano
    Laka LK-JBC Joe Brown Concert
    Rubin RS101 Zebrawood Soprano
    Barnes & Mullins UBJ1 Concert Banjolele
    Sinye YA26 Mahogany Tenor

When I first started it was a half hour to forty five minutes a day. I practiced most every day and I was somewhat structured as I was following Uncle Rods Boot Camp. I play longer now and practice is more spontaneous and less structured. I agree with many of the others who say that the frequency of practice is more important than time.
    Last edited by Rllink; 10-24-2018 at 04:06 AM.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Quote Originally Posted by robinboyd View Post
    I've never practiced. I'm allergic to practice. I just pick up my uke when I'm bored and try to do things with it.
    ^^^ this

It's like fishing... if you love doing it, you'll fish more often and become more proficient as a result.
    Kala Waterman soprano
    Mainland Mahogany Classic soprano
    Mainland Red Cedar soprano
    Ohana SK-28 soprano
    Cahaya CY-0112 concert
    Kiwaya KTC-1 concert
    Musicguymic's "Kolohe" brand - prototype concert
    Cordoba 24T tenor
    Kanilea Islander MST-4 tenor
    Pono ATD tenor
    Cordoba 24B baritone

Thanks for replies

Swamp Yankee, you made me smile as I am also an avid fly fisher and have been for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Yankee View Post
    ^^^ this

It's like fishing... if you love doing it, you'll fish more often and become more proficient as a result.

Thread Information