Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Practice

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Greenbag View Post

Thinking a bit further I find all playing is, in a way, practice. If I’m performing (not on my Uke) it’s also a practice session because you notice what you could have played slightly better, what came across well as a result of practice and ways in which you could alter other things that you do to help you deliver better music.
    You bring up a good point here Graham. For some of us the ukulele is part of the package and there is a lot more that needs to be worked on. I need to practice my ukulele for sure, but I also need to practice singing the songs, I work on my presentation, and there is no way to practice stage presence without getting on stage. So as you say, in essence that is practice too, getting up and putting it all together.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Loveiz View Post
    Just wondering how often and for how long do other beginners practice?
    At the moment it's every day for an hour or more for me. But I'm right at the start of things.
    The thread continues to prompt my own thoughts on practice and two points come to my mind that might be a help to someone. Of course YMMV.

I’ve noticed that I’ll pick up an instrument and happily play it if the ‘music’ played is easy and / or familiar. Once started I’m likely to move onto more difficult things but the most important thing done is the retention of familiarity and comfort with the instrument; the second most import thing done is that I’ve started to play and might then do some focused work. So ensure that you’re never overfaced by the instrument and target yourself at enjoying what you do over all other things; improvement will follow by itself if, within what’s still fun, you add small amounts of structure and focus.

The Uke is, as I’ve already said elsewhere, not my first instrument and not the one I play best. However playing the Uke has helped me to play other instruments better and playing other instruments has helped me to play the Uke better. So, for want of a better expression, ‘cross training’ is helpful.
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 10-29-2018 at 11:05 PM.

Once in a while I go back to some of the stuff that used to baffle me in the beginning. It's a nice way to check your progress.
    Martin OXK Soprano
    Kamaka HF3 Tenor
    Eastman EU3C Concert
    Martin S1
    Martin T1K

Well the response from this question has helped me. In reality I don't do one one hour straight. Because I'm now retired I'm lucky in that I can keep picking my Uke up at times up through the day which I imagine would equate to around an hour. I'm happy that my chord changing is improving but I'm very consous of being very linear and lacking rhythm. I'm hoping that will come. It's small steps

Thanks for this thread. I haven't touched my ukes in a LONG time. Been too busy with life and 2 jobs. I often download all the resources out there and I download songs, etc - but then I have so much I get overwhelmed and I don't know where to start.

Uncle Rod, again, thanks for your Boot Camp stuff. I have downloaded it all again and I will start going through it today. I am going to use it solely until I have worked through it.
    Jan >^..^<
    (AKA Chopped Liver)

You say 'Crazy Cat Lady' like it's a bad thing!

"Out of clutter, find simplicity." Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Chopped Liver View Post
    Thanks for this thread. I haven't touched my ukes in a LONG time. Been too busy with life and 2 jobs. I often download all the resources out there and I download songs, etc - but then I have so much I get overwhelmed and I don't know where to start.
    Anyone ever get all excited about something, download tons of resources to get ready to take yourself to the next level, then look at it and then say to yourself, "nope, that just looks like way too much work"? That's me.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    Anyone ever get all excited about something, download tons of resources to get ready to take yourself to the next level, then look at it and then say to yourself, "nope, that just looks like way too much work"? That's me.
    Um . . . yeah! Do it way too often! Ukulele, alto recorder, knitting, yada, yada, yada.

It's lots of fun to find the resources but way too much work to wade through all the resources!!!
    Jan >^..^<
    (AKA Chopped Liver)

You say 'Crazy Cat Lady' like it's a bad thing!

"Out of clutter, find simplicity." Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by kkimura View Post
    Once in a while I go back to some of the stuff that used to baffle me in the beginning. It's a nice way to check your progress.
    Absolutely, and this time of year I'm dusting off those Christmas tunes and discovering how I can play them that bit better than last year, incorporating some of the skills I've developed during the year.

When I first got my uke, I didn't have much going on in my life sadly, so I would practice about 6 hours a day. Sometimes it would reach 10 hours haha. Definitely made for fast improvement! But man did my back hurt.
    Just Feel The Groooooove

As far as time goes I generally do 20 minute sessions as many times as you as I can get in. Generally it comes out to be 2+ hours. One day a week I back off to no more than an hour to give my hands a break. At 62 I feel it when I overdo anything.
    I like to use a metronome for faster, technically challenging pieces. I'll start a good 20-25 beats slower and over the course of a week or two speed up to the desired tempo.
    Be patient and have fun.

Thread Information